Visiting Television Studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Television Studios

Thought this might be an interesting topic.

In the seventies, my father was the Project Manager on the building of Kent House, (London Weekend Television) on the South Bank of the River Thames. I would sometimes accompany him to work and was able to see the progress of the construction. On one occasion I watched Dickie Davis present an edition of World of Sport. On another, I was an audience member during the recording of The Rolf Harris Show. And I also joined a studio tour and walked throught the sets of 'Just William'.

At around the same time and for some years after, the mother of a school friend organised coach trips to see shows being recorded. I recall going to see episodes of 'Father Dear Father', 'The Many Wives of Patrick' and 'Agony'.

Does anyone else have memories of visiting TV studios, especially in the 70s and 80?

Re: Visiting Television Studios

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
    Thought this might be an interesting topic.

In the seventies, my father was the Project Manager on the building of Kent House, (London Weekend Television) on the South Bank of the River Thames. I would sometimes accompany him to work and was able to see the progress of the construction. On one occasion I watched Dickie Davis present an edition of World of Sport. On another, I was an audience member during the recording of The Rolf Harris Show. And I also joined a studio tour and walked throught the sets of 'Just William'.

At around the same time and for some years after, the mother of a school friend organised coach trips to see shows being recorded. I recall going to see episodes of 'Father Dear Father', 'The Many Wives of Patrick' and 'Agony'.

Does anyone else have memories of visiting TV studios, especially in the 70s and 80?
    Late 70s we got a short tour of the BBC Television Centre, though all I can remember was being shunted quickly through the Blue Peter set, and the Italian Sunken Garden, and spending some time in the Cheggars Plays Pop studio. They still had the ending credits on a piece of thick paper that you hand rolled upwards and the camera filmed it, so we spent a load of time playing with that and moving all the cameras around as if they were Daleks.

In about 1983, a friend of mine's uncle was a security guard for TV-AM, so we got a tour of that studio in the afternoon after everyone had left. Wincey Willis was doing the weather and yes, it really was a cube on a pole that she spun around to change from monring weather to afternoon, then evening, and the last board was a felt board with drawing=pinned pictures from kids around the country. It always crackes me up just how low-tech TV was back in those days, yet they still provided the same service as the high-tech stuff does today.

I also went to the Top Of The Pops studio in about 1986 (not sure exactly). Billy Ocean's When The Going Gets Tough was number one that week. Live bands included Double "Captain Of Her Heart", Ozzy Osbourne "Shot In The Dark" and The Damned "Eloise". The Damned were awesome, searingly intense stuff. I think the back of my head appeared very briefly on that show, as I wasn't quite the stylin' chappie I am now... It was about then I realized I was going bald in the back.

Anyone else get into the TOTP crowd? Who was on when you were there?
    Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Ha! Just found me!

I appear in the front of the camera at 1.31 here, wearing a pale blue jumper and white collared shirt underneath. I'd been told of the extra ticket that day at school and had no time to get changed. And I'm dancing... Eep! I'm such a dork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3CZONdLDmc

Comment

ridski: your link only gives me the YouTube home page for some reason

A classmate got into a TotP recording in about 1976 and somehow managed to push infront of the presenter and wave at the camera - which made him something of a celebrity when he returned to school!

Comment

We went to see Tizwaz being filmed, but only being 2 or 3 at the time I dont remember a thing about it :cry:

*having trouble with the youtube link too, says it wont play in the UK*
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
            We went to see Tizwaz being filmed, but only being 2 or 3 at the time I dont remember a thing about it :cry:

*having trouble with the youtube link too, says it wont play in the UK*
            That's weird. Plays fine for me... I'll look into it. Anyhoo, I found it by searching YouTube for The Damned Eloise.

Comment

I get the same thing.

Presumably youtubes ban on british based music clips.
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                I get the same thing.

Presumably youtubes ban on british based music clips.
                Ar yes. There was something in the news about this.

Bum

Comment

Working...
                X