Hillsborough Disaster 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillsborough Disaster 1989

I remember the Hillsborough Disaster on 15th April 1989 at the football stadium home of Sheffield Wednesday. I remember seeing it on the news on TV when it had just happened - they interrupted the programme with a newsflash. it was a Saturday and I was round at my gran's house at the time. It ultimately turned out that 96 people had been crushed to death that day (all Liverpool FC supporters who'd been watching an away match) and was considered one of the worst football-related disasters of recent times. The match was the FA Cup Semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest and it was abandoned six minutes into the first half. The Hillsborough Disaster brought about a redesign in football stadiums, after the Taylor report concluded that poor police control was the key cause. Football stadiums were made seating only and barriers in front of fans were removed.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Hillsborough Disaster 1989

It is of course the 20th anniversary today and it seems like yesterday that I was watching the live events on tv as it happened. Just unbelievably tragic.
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Oh my word 20 years where does the time go?
      Heather

Comment

I was 15 and couldn't belive what was unfolding in front of me on the TV. How awful to wave your husband/wife/kids off to football and for them never to come home. It doesn't bear thinking about. Those poor families will never get over that. :cry:

I felt exactly the same way when 9/11 happened. it's almost too much to fully comprehend.
        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
        sigpic

Comment

Watching the Chelsea/Liverpool game last night, felt that such a classic match was a fitting tribute to the victims of Hillsborough, especially being exactly 20 years to the day since it happened.
          "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Very sad, watching the memorial on the news today was very moving.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

as a Bradford City fan I can empathise with all this.

Having seen most of the matches in 1984/5 season, I accepted a job to go & work at Butlins Skeggy April-Sept 1985.

Hence I (thankfully) missed the fire at Valley Parade that took 56 fans on 11th May

RIP
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

It's sad that anybody's hobby/leisure pursuit should have such tragic concequences.Never been a fan of 1000's cramed into a small space.
                "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

I was working as a secretarial temp at the time. That week I had to fill in for a girl who was killed there. It was horribly sad sitting in her chair and knowing she'd probably been telling everyone in the room how much she was looking forward to the match just days before.

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                    Very sad, watching the memorial on the news today was very moving.
                    I watched this too. Thought it was really moving. The strength of feeling there hasn't diminished and I for one feel justice wasn't done for these innocent victims of total incompetence.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                      as a Bradford City fan I can empathise with all this.

Having seen most of the matches in 1984/5 season, I accepted a job to go & work at Butlins Skeggy April-Sept 1985.

Hence I (thankfully) missed the fire at Valley Parade that took 56 fans on 11th May

RIP
                      I remember this very well. Awful. You must have found this very upsetting rosso. Did you know anyone who lost their life or was injured?
                      sigpic

Comment

Being a west country lad I never got into football,maybe things like this fueled my lack of interest.
                        Jumped around like a nutter at monsters of rock most years though!
                        "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                          I remember this very well. Awful. You must have found this very upsetting rosso. Did you know anyone who lost their life or was injured?
                          hi kaz....awful day. Still vividly remember the footage, esp of the chap walking about, on fire, head to foot. :cry:

When you read the memorial to who died that day, its so sad to see generations died together....grandad, son, grandson

Since I started going in 1981 we've always sat (stood, when terraced) in the Kop i.e. a different stand , as do our friends, so no, we didn't directly know anyone who died.

We played Lincoln at home last Saturday so, since its nearly season end, only 1 more home match, and they were our opponents that awful day, it was only fitting and we had the minutes silence then
                          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                            I was working as a secretarial temp at the time. That week I had to fill in for a girl who was killed there. It was horribly sad sitting in her chair and knowing she'd probably been telling everyone in the room how much she was looking forward to the match just days before.
                            God, how awful. Must have been a bit surreal.
                            "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X