Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hillsborough Disaster 1989

1. Default Hillsborough Disaster 1989

I remember the Hillsborough Disaster on 15th April 1989 at the football stadium home of Sheffield Wednesday. I remember seeing it on the news on TV when it had just happened - they interrupted the programme with a newsflash. it was a Saturday and I was round at my gran's house at the time. It ultimately turned out that 96 people had been crushed to death that day (all Liverpool FC supporters who'd been watching an away match) and was considered one of the worst football-related disasters of recent times. The match was the FA Cup Semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest and it was abandoned six minutes into the first half. The Hillsborough Disaster brought about a redesign in football stadiums, after the Taylor report concluded that poor police control was the key cause. Football stadiums were made seating only and barriers in front of fans were removed.

More...

Default Re: Hillsborough Disaster 1989

It is of course the 20th anniversary today and it seems like yesterday that I was watching the live events on tv as it happened. Just unbelievably tragic.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Oh my word 20 years where does the time go?

I was 15 and couldn't belive what was unfolding in front of me on the TV. How awful to wave your husband/wife/kids off to football and for them never to come home. It doesn't bear thinking about. Those poor families will never get over that.

I felt exactly the same way when 9/11 happened. it's almost too much to fully comprehend.
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

Watching the Chelsea/Liverpool game last night, felt that such a classic match was a fitting tribute to the victims of Hillsborough, especially being exactly 20 years to the day since it happened.
    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Very sad, watching the memorial on the news today was very moving.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

as a Bradford City fan I can empathise with all this.

Having seen most of the matches in 1984/5 season, I accepted a job to go & work at Butlins Skeggy April-Sept 1985.

Hence I (thankfully) missed the fire at Valley Parade that took 56 fans on 11th May

RIP

Splitters!

Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

It's sad that anybody's hobby/leisure pursuit should have such tragic concequences.Never been a fan of 1000's cramed into a small space.

ClaudineJones Guest

I was working as a secretarial temp at the time. That week I had to fill in for a girl who was killed there. It was horribly sad sitting in her chair and knowing she'd probably been telling everyone in the room how much she was looking forward to the match just days before.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    Very sad, watching the memorial on the news today was very moving.
    I watched this too. Thought it was really moving. The strength of feeling there hasn't diminished and I for one feel justice wasn't done for these innocent victims of total incompetence.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'