Your Comic Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Comic Collection

Just before Xmas seen someone wearing a Judge Dredd t-shirt and brought back memories so had a look on e-bay. Ended up buying the annuals from 1980 to 1990 much to the wife and teenage daughters amusement. So started looking at the comics but even I could not justify to myself never mind the wife buying them all again.

Had a look on the 2000ad website with a view to trying to read them online but no joy as I believe that would be a cheaper option.

Also was a member of the Warlord and Bullet clubs and had the wallets and the badges. Remember being devastated when we had a leak in the roof and they got ruined along with my Victor, Hotspur and Roy of the Rovers.

Can anyone confirm if there was a Morgan the Mighty, Alf Tucker and a goalie with 2 dogs who never let in a goal cannot remember the name specials or am I just imagining them.

Comment

Originally posted by weetoon View Post
      Can anyone confirm if there was a Morgan the Mighty, Alf Tucker and a goalie with 2 dogs who never let in a goal cannot remember the name specials or am I just imagining them.
      hmm 3rd one I'll need to think about...

Morgyn the Mighty aka 'The Strongest Man in The World' started out in The Rover comic, 1951, then moved to Victor IIRC....I'll have to dig out a few of my comics.

Alf TUPPER in "Tough of the Track" was a key Victor story 1960s through to the 80's....most episodes involved Alf getting into a scrape, doing a spot of welding, having some fish & chips, but still managing to get to the race on time AND win it
      (eg I remember one where he ate a piece of steak that was meant for a greyhound. Steak was laced with sleeping powder so as to 'nobble' the dog....hence Alf fell asleep; almost misses his race.
      He makes it, and wins of course , then falls asleep on the track just past the finish line )

He'd actually started out though much much earlier, in The Rover comic, from 1949 through to his move to the new comic Victor in 1961

Vic Whittle's fab site has his first stories : (scroll down to sports section:
      Rover Page

There's even a website dedicated to Alf ! (complete with a lovely Radio4 piece on him featuring 'live' commentary on some of his races...It also has the strip of Alf's last race at the Barcelona Olympics 1982)
      Alf Tupper - Tough of the Track

Dave
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Dave

Thanks for the information and the link.

The goalkeeper had the dogs at each post and they would bark to let him know what side to dive think he went back to working on a farm after one season.

Morgan the mighty special I am sure involved an Indian Prince draining the power of strong men so he could rule. He drained Morgan down to a six stone weakling but of course he recovered and eventually helped overthrow him by lifting some heavy stone.

Seem to remember there were four specials each dedicated soley to the one character.

Comment

some more info on the 'specials' you mention, queried a few years ago on a different forum:

"Does anyone remember reading an special edition Alf tupper story about him running and working for the Kilimanjaro Railway company, the book itself was about A4 in size and about 60-70 pages long.
          It was part of a series of special one off comics, there were other stories in the series featuring different Characters none of whom I can remember but I can remember the stories which were as follows.
          Man inherits a Sky Scraper in New York, but runs into trouble with a Giant Octopus in the basement and the Mafia (!!)

Sniper in Greece (I think) 2nd world war, hides out in a village with his platoon, SS find evidence and kill the Villagers, sniper takes outhis revenge on a loan mission and kills all the Germans.

Young promising footballer, wrong side of the tracks

Young promising Boxer also from the wrong side of the tracks.

Goalkeeper, famed for never conceding a goal, took two dogs with him who sat by either goalpost and used to bark to indicate which way the ball was going.

There maybe more, but I've been trying for ages to find out what these books were called and even if I can still get them"
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
            some more info on the 'specials' you mention, queried a few years ago on a different forum:

"Does anyone remember reading an special edition Alf tupper story about him running and working for the Kilimanjaro Railway company, the book itself was about A4 in size and about 60-70 pages long.
            It was part of a series of special one off comics, there were other stories in the series featuring different Characters none of whom I can remember but I can remember the stories which were as follows.
            Man inherits a Sky Scraper in New York, but runs into trouble with a Giant Octopus in the basement and the Mafia (!!)

Sniper in Greece (I think) 2nd world war, hides out in a village with his platoon, SS find evidence and kill the Villagers, sniper takes outhis revenge on a loan mission and kills all the Germans.

Young promising footballer, wrong side of the tracks

Young promising Boxer also from the wrong side of the tracks.

Goalkeeper, famed for never conceding a goal, took two dogs with him who sat by either goalpost and used to bark to indicate which way the ball was going.

There maybe more, but I've been trying for ages to find out what these books were called and even if I can still get them"
            They sound familiar and delighted to finally find out I did not make it up.

Thank you.

Comment

oh oh oh found 'em all!

these compilation/specials were published as 'Red Dagger'.

The 2 barking dogs /footy story was 'Cast Iron Bill', from Wizard 1973

There are 30 in total, published 1979-1983 .......link here with dates, front cover photo, and the comics that the stories originated from :

Red Dagger: Issue by Issue

background to series (there was a girls' equivalent...Lucky Charm):
              http://www.downthetubes.net/features...ger/index.html
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Dave

Top man will show the wife as she is convinced I was havering.

Remember Twisty he was a gobby little so and so but what a left foot.

Midge worked in a shipyard and was bullied but became strong using bits of pipe and stuff.

Cast Iron Bill thanks as it has annoyed me for years.

Comment

That's a re-print selection I'd never heard of, Rossobantam!

Alf Tupper, Braddock of Bombers, Killer Kennedy...
                  All Victor characters I grew up with. The first time round!
                  "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

a lot of these stories like Tough of TheTrack, and I Flew With Braddock (long before they became cartoon 'strips') from the likes of Rover, Wizard, Hotspur were of course merely scripts/written stories ie no pictures
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I didn't know that. My "first contact" would have been about 1966, aged 10, and it didn't occur to me the stories or characters weren't new.

At the start the one or two "text only" stories in the Victor weren't my favourites, and were only tackled if they looked really interesting.

Then I met the "Biggles" books, and the pictures started (sometimes) to be less important.

Worlds of information out there. Thank you for that bit!
                      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

oh oh oh found 'em all!

these compilation/specials were published as 'Red Dagger'.

The 2 barking dogs /footy story was 'Cast Iron Bill', from Wizard 1973

There are 30 in total, published 1979-1983 .......link here with dates, front cover photo, and the comics that the stories originated from :

Red Dagger: Issue by Issue

background to series (there was a girls' equivalent...Lucky Charm):
                        http://www.downthetubes.net/features...ger/index.html
                        Awesome covers - just wanted to re-post them!
                        Heard of Morgyn the Mighty, but never seen it, until now!

Bet they cost a fortune these days!

Comment

There was a 'Clint Eastwood' character in Battle....Major Eazy
                          MajorEazy

Although he's also compared to James Coburn in that great war film 'Cross of Iron'..remember that?
                          Sorry rosso, missed that link.
                          Words cannot express how cool that looks

Comment

I did think Carlos Ezquerra's style of Major eazy seemed Familiar

2000 AD books - Judge Dredd - The Carlos Ezquerra Collection
                            DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Ooohhhh - darts for piggy-bank
                              Did this guy oversee some classic Dredd?
                              Worth getting?

Comment

worth getting ?? i haven't a clue cause i aint got it LOL
                                DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X