What was the first CD and CD player you bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first CD and CD player you bought

I've just ordered 6 cds (two of em doubles) and a Morrissey live dvd from hmv and it has set me back just over £23. I have about 500 albums in my collection but find myself buying less and less at the moment, choosing to download the odd track instead. If only this had been available 20 years earlier i'd have saved a small fortune.I have cds that i paid £15 for just for 1 track (aaarrrgh). Anyway it got me thinking what was the first cd I bought and have decided it was Songs from the big chair by Tears for Fears. Ist single was living in a box, living in a box. I used to listen to them on my dads Philips midi system. It was one of the first that came out with a cd player and set him back about £340. The cd was the only decent thing on it. The turntable, tape decks and radio were rubbish.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Re: What was the first CD and CD player you bought

Probably like a lot of people mine was dire straits first album, anyone remember was it tony blackburn saying cd's will play with jam on (apologies if it's already been posted)
    Flippin eck can't remember the first cd player, rock on ipods

Comment

I can remember all the urban myths about cds...i.e. you could drive a fleet of Austin Allegros over them, host a dinner party with them and use them as sanding-discs and they'd still play like the original master-tape! Oh how we learned the hard way!

The first one I bought was Enigma's first album....you know, the one where somebody smuggled a drum-machine into a monastery during Evesong! It had a little hologram on the cover....unfortunately I had a really **** Alba midi system and it didn't sound any better than a cassette. I had to buy it twice cause some morons nicked most of my cd collection in 1999. btw SFTBC is an excellent album but I bought the tape cause it had about 6 extra tracks on it so I suppose the cd was the same.

Comment

Originally posted by scotchmist View Post
        I can remember all the urban myths about cds...i.e. you could drive a fleet of Austin Allegros over them, host a dinner party with them and use them as sanding-discs and they'd still play like the original master-tape! Oh how we learned the hard way!

The first one I bought was Enigma's first album....you know, the one where somebody smuggled a drum-machine into a monastery during Evesong! It had a little hologram on the cover....unfortunately I had a really **** Alba midi system and it didn't sound any better than a cassette. I had to buy it twice cause some morons nicked most of my cd collection in 1999. btw SFTBC is an excellent album but I bought the tape cause it had about 6 extra tracks on it so I suppose the cd was the same.
        Mine doesn't have any extra tracks. We are talking when cds first came out so it just had the original tracks from the album. I know it's been repackaged and re released several times since but my original still plays ok so i've not bothered updating it yet. Not tried it with jam on yet but i'm sure my 14 month old daughter will oblige at some point.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I was never into vinyl records in my teen years: seriously put off by a few people obsessing about them and how easily they were damaged. There was a desk-sized gramaphone unit and fair collection of records in the family home anyway.
          When buying my first house in '83 I got my first CD player: a Philips of some kind, can't remember the cost.

First two CD's: Handel's Messiah and Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell.
          Followed by Bonnie Tyler and Vivaldi. I have a fairly wide-ranging collection. But hardly anything from the last ten years.

Enya to Blue Oyster Cult. Fairport Convention to Pink Floyd.
          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

I was never into Vinyl much either, as a kid it was seriously impractical to own records or a player which would be used as a toy to either speed up the bpm on bee gees saturday night fever for a laugh or play the sound of music backwards.
            I owed an extensive amount of audio cassettes from the age of 10. But finally realising I could get a Cd player for a birthday present, (it was a sony one in 1991), presented me with the problem of having to buy a CD (which was double the price of an audio cassette album) and as a 18 year old student its bad when you only get a few pence on a paper round. kids these days always seem to have loads of cash to flash
            so getting back to the point, the first CD i bought was red hot chilli peppers
            "Man who catch fly with chopsticks accomplish anything"

Comment

I bought a cd player from my sisters catalogue back in 1985, can't remember what brand. I then went out and bought 2 cds from a local department store, Siouxsie & the Banshees - Tinderbox and Phil Collins - No Jacket Required, then had to wait about 2 months for the cd player to be delivered!!

Still have both cds today, they are much thicker than the discs you buy today.

Comment

I honestly didn't have a CD player of my own until about 1998 when I landed on these fair shores, just a boombox, really... Of course now I have about twenty things in my house that will play CD's, like old PCs and laptops and stereos and a portable CD walkman... As a teen, I bought 12" singles but all my albums were on cassette. I did buy some CDs, though, and would play them on my housemate's player, and then tape them and listen to them on my walkman.

Thinking back now, the first CD was probably Meat Beat Manifesto's Subliminal Sandwich. Don't have it anymore though. A mate of mine nicked it and sold it at a secondhand record shop for fag money.
                Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I probably was SPICE GIRL's first album...and about a CD player...I never owned one...I used to play my disks on the computer

Comment

my first cd player was a boombox one that i got for my 16th birthday (1998) and my first cd was crazy sexy cool by tlc

Comment

Ahh yeh tears for fears rock. Shamefully, I think like many of my peers, only knew of them from "head over heels" in donnie darko.

My first CD was No Doubt- Tragic kingdom. still love it.

Comment

First CD player was a Crown music system back in the late 80s. First CDs were Robert Cray's Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, a James Brown greatest hits, and Steve Winwood (I think it was called Shining Song).

Comment

I actually won the first CD I owned on a local radio competition. It was a single by INXS, but I can't remember the name although the cover is easy to recall. Can't remember what the first CD I bought was but our first CD player was an old black Amstrad which incorporated a turntable, radio and double tape decks.

I own 1000's of CD's but they have all been ripped to Mp3 and I only play music on my computer these days and preserve the condition of my CD's.
                          Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

My first CD player was a Samsung portable containing CD 2 tape decks & a radio. I didn't get anything to play in it for a few weeks & just borrows discs from my Dad, but eventually I get a cheap compilaton of film theme covers from Our Price, & a friend got me a CD single of Gary Numan's Cars, which had just been used on a advert.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember defo what my first CD buy was!

I went into dixons bought a cd player a panasonic and was making my way home when i though **** ive no cds! How will i know if it works!!!

So i bought scarlet independent love song that was in the charts. So the year would be about 95 i think. Bought it with my first full time job wages!

My brother told me to go into cds because records were going out. I was gutted cos i had loads of records esp ones that were white vinyl, 12 inch, pic disc, shapes etc
                              I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X