Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80's car racing/formula 1 cartoon (this is killing me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's car racing/formula 1 cartoon (this is killing me)

Greetings all,

I am trying to remember the name of this cartoon i used to watch as a kid. It was a bit grim - was about formula 1 racing - lots of crashes and a very serious tone to it. It might have been a japanese cartoon (almost certain about it).

Its NOT speed racer or pole position (both are too 'kiddy' for this one).

Another thing I can recall was that they'd show the protagonist getting into his car and putting his helmet on - like it was a special moment (and the red, amber, green lights before every race). It may have been a mini series or may be even a feature film (arrrgh!!! can you see how confused I am about this one?).

HELP!

Re: 80's car racing/formula 1 cartoon (this is killing me)

hi there & welcome

Specifically in Formula 1? Or just that 'type' of car?
    Do you remember if it was ITV/BBC?
    early/mid/late 80's?

Any further snippets of info would help us to narrow the search down

cheers
    Dave

ps why not introduce yourself to the DYR forum in the 'Everything Else' forum?
    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

hello there,

i've intro'ed myself at: https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/i...tml#post115058

From what i remember: it was formula (something) cars. The guy used to put on gloves and then his helmet - the races were extreme (maybe violent) cant recall much else except that there was definitely no 'kiddy element'. I may have confused some memories-but I am sure I remember loving this cartoon.

A friend proposed pole position-but after going thru some images, intro video and the music-i am sure that it wasnt pole position (though i remember watching it too)

Comment

Cyber Formula ?? (Future GPX)
        Future GPX Cyber Formula (TV) - Anime News Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_GPX_Cyber_Formula
        Heather

Comment

Thanks - it looks close but almost no cigar (cant say for sure). I can say with certainty that these were 'old school' Formula 1 cars which i remember.

Comment

Hello I am pretty sure that i am looking for the same thing as you. I found this which is in the same vein YouTube - RTA - ENTV ??????? ?????? 1980-1981 but nowhere near it.

The one I am thinking of the main character was a kid in whatever formula series it was, the car transformed a little and did jumps over obstacles and things it was white and blue. There was a race truck that it traveled around in, and the whole race series was set in a sort of smog filled future dystopia with either aliens or mutants and people could buy "fresh air" from bars. There was some sort of villain overlord character i cant remember if he organized the race series or not.

Anyway if its the same thing you are looking for i am pretty interested in too! I have been through most of the "80's tv retrojunk" type sites but I cant even really remember the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
              Hello I am pretty sure that i am looking for the same thing as you. I found this which is in the same vein YouTube - RTA - ENTV ??????? ?????? 1980-1981 but nowhere near it.

The one I am thinking of the main character was a kid in whatever formula series it was, the car transformed a little and did jumps over obstacles and things it was white and blue. There was a race truck that it traveled around in, and the whole race series was set in a sort of smog filled future dystopia with either aliens or mutants and people could buy "fresh air" from bars. There was some sort of villain overlord character i cant remember if he organized the race series or not.

WOW!!! thanks - it sure looks close (but cant be sure till i see a few videos) - i think its original name is Grand Prix No Taka.

This will go a long way-thanks a lot-i feel closer now

Comment

"Super Grand Prix" ???

The US name for the same show mentioned in the post above...

Steve

Comment

Wooohooo-i think we have it!!! thanks a lot to both above posters

Comment

Can anyone tell me where I can find ''Grand Prix'' cartoon?

Comment

Another thing I can recall was that they'd show the protagonist getting into his car and putting his helmet on - like it was a special moment (and the red, amber, green lights before every race). It may have been a mini series or may be even a feature film (arrrgh!!! can you see how confused I am about this one?).

Comment

There was a race truck that it traveled around in, and the whole race series was set in a sort of smog filled future dystopia with either aliens or mutants and people could buy "fresh air" from bars. There was some sort of villain overlord character i cant remember if he organized the race series or not. ???
                        lol

Comment

Wacky Races ??

Comment

Working...
                          X