'Clever Stuff'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Clever Stuff'

'Clever Stuff' was a weird kind of putty. It came in a little plastic cup-shaped container, I think about an inch and a half across. It was maliable but nothing like playdoh or plasticine. I used to like to flatten it, fold it over and trap a pocket of air...and then pop it.

Oh such simple times! Someone else tell my they remember this toy to prove I'm not imagining it.

Re: 'Clever Stuff'

I definately remember it, but how long ago was this around?
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Was it a bit Like Silly putty? I remember that stuff especially the smell
      There was also Nosey Putty that made rude noises when you squoze it
      Heather

Comment

Just looked up 'Silly Putty'. That stuff is amazing; I've seen TV shows where they demonstrate its propertires, but no, 'Clever Stuff' wasn't like that. It didn't do the solid/runny thing. As to when it was around; I supposed I was playing with it from the late sixties through to the early seventies.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          Just looked up 'Silly Putty'. That stuff is amazing; I've seen TV shows where they demonstrate its propertires, but no, 'Clever Stuff' wasn't like that. It didn't do the solid/runny thing. As to when it was around; I supposed I was playing with it from the late sixties through to the early seventies.
          I don't recognise the name, but I remember the stuff from your description. It was more plasticky than playdoh.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
            I don't recognise the name, but I remember the stuff from your description. It was more plasticky than playdoh.
            Yes, it was kind of plasticky! I will give my mum a call later. Maybe I just have the wrong product name.

Comment

My hubby remembers this as Potty Putty. Does that sound right?
              sigpic

Comment

I remember silly putty. You could flatten it out on a comic and it would pick up the print. I used to like slime as well. I had a purple one with rubber worms in and a yellow one that i got on holiday in Spain in 79 called Blande viviante. That had eye balls in it.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Hi kazboot. The info on the Internet about 'Potty Putty' doesn't quite match my memories. I had a word with my mum and she is completely certain the name of the toy was 'Clever Stuff'.

The newsprint trick you mention branny, sparked a memory! One could definitely do this with Clever Stuff also. I'd completely forgotten until now.

But I have also found out that although I played with this toy in the seventies, it was almost certainly bought in the mid sixties. Bit old for this forum!

...It may have to remain a mystery.

Comment

Silly Putty. I am betting that Clever Stuff is a spin-off - maybe a copycat from some patent expiring or maybe a licensing deal? It is wierd stuff, whatever the name. It stretches, but if you pull quickly, it gives this wonderful snapping sensation and actually looks to have snapped-off cleanly. It would make into a bouncy ball, was fun to stretch and of course "lift" comic page pictures and then stretch them out. With a lot of this, it would darken, probably from the newspaper ink. Like that straw/plastic good/baloon toy, we also tried to chew Silly Putty. Yep - nasty. I recall that a few years ago a niece had Clever Stuff - it just wasn't like the Silly Putty exactly. I bet that it now is either NON-toxic or less so. It was still fun to see it.

Comment

Yep, silly putty is the stuff..
                      In fact i'm looking at some right now as i have some ooozing down the side of my monitor. I put it on the top and it takes about 3 days to slowly slide down the side of my work monitor...
                      Yfrog - cimg3424

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/242/cimg3424.jpg

Comment

Digging around for a radiator key today, my wife turned up my original clear plastic container of Clever Stuff. And it still works... I reckon it's around 40 years old, give or take a few!

Comment

Originally posted by bazzh View Post
                          Digging around for a radiator key today, my wife turned up my original clear plastic container of Clever Stuff. And it still works... I reckon it's around 40 years old, give or take a few!
                          Cool, maybe you could get us a picture on board?
                          Heather

Comment

Working...
                          X