Sparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sparks

Here in Heaven is one of my all time favourites too Jen Heard this for the first time today http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...lXrArNCvuMcd2A Absolutely love it!

Comment

I remember sparks.They were a brilliant little band.Ron on the keyboards and russel on vocals.I think sparks were one of the only bands i ever stopped and watched top of the pops for when i was young.I remember watching it at my grandparents house once,as we had requested they put top of the pops on specifically because sparks were on.When they came on,we pointed out with much fun and excitement,how much Ron playing the keyboards looked like my grandfather,who looked remarkably like Field Marshal Montgomery,and styled himself in small ways ( hair and moustache ) on him.Whenever i heard about sparks around my area,everyone stated how much they all loved Ron.

Comment

You Sparks fans may or may not know that Justin Hawkins (formerly of The Darkness) had a solo project a couple of years ago called British Whale. He did a cover version of "This Town Ain't Big Enough". If you check out the youtube link you may spot a couple of familiar faces...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92mQYENVjEI
        "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I liked the song they did with Katie Melua recently.

Comment

I liked Katie Melua's "A Happy Place". Very interesting arrangement that Sparks did of it for the remix.

Comment

Yyyyeah, they were musically very different, visually like nothing else on the planet and there seemed to be a whole lot more thinking behind some of their lyrics than was the norm among the general pop crowd. I do remember as a kid thinking Ron might be an alien...or possibly the Devil but they've become a kind of short-hand, haven't they, for quirky music that you really had to listen to in order to fully appreciate? A kind of nerdy secret society codeword for timeless cool.

Comment

great band...in the movie Roller Coaster too

Comment

LOL me too!

Comment

just started recently listening to them and ill say they have good songs for sure.

had not really heard of them till recently thanks to friend of mine who loves them.

some artists just dont get the recognition they deserve.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

didn't like them when I was younger, now quite like thgem, would love to see them live.

I'm sure I heard they recently done concerts of requests where they'd play ANY track from their catalogue. If true that takes some doing!!

Comment

Yes Sparks - an arty group originally - but with wonderful lyrics and usually a great beat.
                        Always liked them since 70's - can't believe some on here haven't heard of them !

I got Plagiarism cD a while back (1997 release) - and if you like Sparks songs you will probably like this - it is their own and others' tracks done in different styles - I especially LOVE the No1 song in heaven collaboration with Jimmy Somerville - the orchestration and choral voices are class.

Comment

They have teamed up with Franz Ferdinand under the FFS moniker...
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

New single "Hippopotamus" is out now on YouTube, and the album will be out in September. Sparks have signed with revitalised major label BMG worldwide, so it'll be quite easy to get.

Comment

Great to see that the "Hippopotamus" album made it to No.7 in the UK albums charts recently, the first album to go Top 10 for them since "Propaganda" in 1974. They had a massive launch for it in the UK, and several sold out shows. Pity that they never included Australia in their tour.

Comment

There was a Sparks track on the free year-end roundup Mojo CD
                                Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Working...
                                X