Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: swimming lessons

Default Re: swimming bags

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    Just changed the thread title with Old gits blessing
    Excellent. Thanks

Talking of cold water ..The showers after were the worse part of the whole lesson, we were made to take off our costumes and ring them out leaving us stood starkers, scarred for life I tell you LIFE....
    Same experience here. Though with us, it did rather depend on the teacher supervising the changing rooms. Some were stricter than others. And getting dried whilst trying to protect one's modesty became known as the 'towel-shuffle'!

Default Re: swimming lessons

Had a bad experience at 12 ( built like a 7yr-old ) when one of the hard men took my float in the deep end ! Scary.
    Learnt to swim in my 20's, love it now. I'd encourage everybody to learn asap.

What about - `meet Dave, Daves great, Daveswonderfull, Dave can swim like a fish` LEARN TO SWIM YOUNG MAN LEARN TO SWIM!

Public information advert i thinks.

I hated swimming lessons at junior school. I was so terrified of the water I wouldn't dare leave the side and nobody could make me either.

As a consequence, I never learnt to swim and have had no interest ever since; I'm still terrified of water.

Still, I'm not alone. My wife can't swim either and neither can my mum or dad.
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

I had lessons at 2 schools I went to.

The first was at a really old small (5 and 10 metres) pool with freezing cold changing rooms round the sides. At least it was the last lesson of the day & we went there & back on a coach.

The next school I went to was near enough to a pool that we could walk to. This was the Marple Dolphin Centre, which was renamed in the mid 1990s as too many people turned up thinking there was a collection of marine mammals there!

This was a bit more modern, with a larger 10 by 25 metre pool , though the instructor wasn't nearly as nice as the one at the previous pool.

Goggles were banned to there was no chance of fetching the black rubber bricks from the bottom. It was rumoured that someone had lost an eye by snapping elastic from some goggles that had brought in that rule.

Another rule was that during free swims no-one could swim at the deep end unless they had got their 200 metres badge.

I never managed to get more than a 25 metres, mainly because we spent so much time messing about with bricks & floats.

At least I didn't have to bring in some old pajamas for life saving practice, which my brother did.
    The Trickster On The Roof

I remember the chucks out the floats.Why!!!???? Best story I heard from school and Im sure it happened at a few.2nd year in high school,girl was called Debbie,if I recall,she was quite hairy,for a girl,anyway,her top came down in the water.Im sure its happened everywhere.

I remember the footbaths too,yuck.The pool we went to was ancient,it still had the old rooms they used for public bathing,you know,like a bath lol.

I was lucky though,by the time we went swimming with the school,I could swim.I went to lessons on a Tuesday night.Mrs Carmichael taught me,shes not long dead,but I always thought she looked 100,she was so wrinkly,I was my gran's neighbour.I swear though,I was taught to swim by a skeleton!!!

tulip

My only memories of swimming lessons at school was the barbaric swimming teacher, he would stand on your fingers if you held onto the sides and one girl got out crying with fear and he dragged her back in by the hair!! He'd be hung, drawn and quartered for that these days!
    No wonder I refused to do it after the 1st couple of lessons despite the shouted threats and physical shaking by the shoulders of my school teacher ( again she'd be taken out and shot for that now)

Look what i just found! a bit old and battered but not bad for 30 years old.

Brilliant to see those certificates!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    Brilliant to see those certificates!
    Thanks! shame i couldnt swim more tham 100m lol.I still remember geting my 10m certificate in the school assembley whan i was 9.