• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cereal Boxes/Offers

[ATTACH]1168[/ATTACH]

Comment

From 1976, no information but I assume it was a send off offer(??)
      Heather

Comment

Heather

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Cereal freebies

I used to love collecting these when I was a kid in the 70's. The ones that really got me though were the cardboard cut outs of Dr Who characters that came free with weetabix in the mid 70s. There were scenes on the back of 24 or 48 packs that you could collect as well. You got 1 figure free with 12, 2 with 24 and 4 with 48. I was desperate to collect the full set and for weeks lived on weetabix. My mum wouldn't buy any unless i'd finished the previous pack. I even spent my pocket money on them.

Before the Dr Who characters I remember they did Disney Robin Hood characters. Other freebies that i can remember collecting were hologram stickers from Frosties, magic paint books from Ricicles, cardboard "pop up" western buildings so you could build a town for Klondike Pete with Golden nuggets and letraset Star wars transfers with shreddies.

Anybody else remember any of these?
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Re: Cereal freebies

Originally posted by branny View Post
              I used to love collecting these when I was a kid in the 70's. The ones that really got me though were the cardboard cut outs of Dr Who characters that came free with weetabix in the mid 70s. There were scenes on the back of 24 or 48 packs that you could collect as well. You got 1 figure free with 12, 2 with 24 and 4 with 48. I was desperate to collect the full set and for weeks lived on weetabix. My mum wouldn't buy any unless i'd finished the previous pack. I even spent my pocket money on them...
              Oh, you've really brought back a memory there! I was the same as you with the Weetabix Doctor Who cards. I loved collecting them and used to arrange them on the top of my bookcase. I especially recall the Quarks and the White Robots, for some reason. But I'd forgotten about the backrounds one could collect. I can only picture the tropical forest one in my mind. What were the others?

Comment

Just found this Marine Boy. The only one I could remember was the Tardis.

Weetabix Doctor Who Promotion No. 1

Comment

Just remembered another weetabix collectible. Asterix figures, around mid 70s also, after the first set of Dr Who.

Comment

Thanks so much, branny! Those pics of Ice Warriors, Cybermen and backgrounds had my spine tingling with nostalgia. That TARDIS control room looks like the one from the Walls Ice Cream collectors cards book from some years before.

Comment

Some cereal pictures here on DYR, including Dr.Who
                      https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...es-offers.html
                      Heather

Comment

I got some Flash Gordon cards off Weetabix (or was it Shredded Wheat?), around 1981, when the colour film came out. The one with Peter Duncan sticking his hand in that tree-trunk.

Anyway, I came across them five years ago and sold them on ebay for £6 or something. I was nearly made for life there, eh? Hehe.

...Jamo

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                          Some cereal pictures here on DYR, including Dr.Who
                          https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/f...es-offers.html
                          Great pics. I'd completely forgotten that other Doctor Who 'Action Game' promotion.
                          Thanks Huggie

Comment

Originally posted by Elbmek View Post
                            Does anyone recall the little plastic submarines that were free with Corn Flakes back in the late 50s and appeared again, briefly, in the 60s. You put baking soda in a special round socket underneath and this caused the submarine (approx 2 inches) to sink, then surface, repeatedly.

Still around and, if not free, quite cheap:
                            Diving Submarine EACH - £1.62 : Fun Party Supplies, Themed Birthday Party Plates, Cups, Napkins and Decorations

Yes, they were one of the classic give-aways.
                            "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                              why don't cereal boxes contain toys anymore (or do they?)....
                              Little books and audio CD's I've seen, recently... but not the great (and naff) toys of our childhood.

The really substantial set of Thunderbirds kits...

And was Weetabix the first to use the Letraset Rub-down transfers?
                              I remember Moon-men and monsters, with the scene on the back of the packet, and a bigger set to send away for.

But that was the start of a Waddington's Panorama phase, for me.
                              By the 70's they had gone into colour with fewer, bigger transfers, and also tie-in themes: Batman, Captain Scarlet etc.
                              But I fondly remember the earlier b&w ones.
                              Waddington Panoramas - Adventure

And it started from a cereal packet.
                              Last edited by Emettman; 23-03-2009, 14:44. Reason: Spelling errors.
                              "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Does anyone else remember the Weetabix Club? I remember joining, but apart from the cardboard membership card, I'm not too sure as to what came with it.

Remember joining so that I could have the Weetabix vs the Titchy Breakfast computer game - it was a space invaders knock off where you had to move to pick up the missile to throw it up at the titchies.

Gears of War 2 it wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X