Simon Cowell
    Reality TV
    How much is his painting I found in the loft/my house worth
    cookery programmes
    Agatha Chritsie dramas
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Re: I feel sorry for kids today

For god's sake - surely our parents thought the same when we were kids?
      The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Yes, I know there was no television when they were kids - I mean about how we used to spend our leisure time generally. Wrong thread!
        The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
          Like I said, FAR too much reliance on
          James Bond
          Simon Cowell
          Reality TV
          How much is his painting I found in the loft/my house worth
          cookery programmes
          Agatha Chritsie dramas
          we need more kids shows like we had.

all the above are damaging.

if only there where less of the above and more kids like tv.

less would be more.
          citv needs brought back from half 3 to half 5 lke we had.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

In one sense its is our own fault for Cowell and reality TV shows. Much as I hate them and dont watch the, they do attract huge audience figures. X Factor a few weeks ago pulled in 17 million viewrs which by any standards is excellent. The advertisers will be dlighted and as long as these shows keep pulling these figures we are stuck with them I may not like them but obviously millions do

Back to the thread, the haydays for kids TV I think was the 70 and early eighties, soo many quality cartoons and TV programmes many of which have alraedy been mentioned. My own favourites, early Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Hong Kong Phooey. bugs bunny Tom and Jerry

Comment

The Flinstones
              Huckleberry Hound
              Tom and Jerry
              Popeye
              The Jetsons
              Wait till your father gets home.
              I also like some more recent ones,
              Rugrats
              The Simpsons
              Family Guy

Comment

I agree re the kids tv today it's awful the same thing every day and the real pity is that there are so many kids channels and they are just regurgitating the same trash every day.

A couple of weeks ago I showed my 8 year old daughter some clips on youtube of the kids programs I used to watch and she actually agreed with me that it was better than what she gets now!

That's why this Xmas I've bought my kids as stocking fillers DVDs of Bagpuss, Mr Benn, Dangermouse and Jamie and the magic torch they are all selling for around £2.99 on the internet - BARGAIN!!
                sigpic

Comment

TV aside, I feel sorry for kids today because they don't appear to know that you use the foot of white stuff outside to go sledging, have snowball fights and build snowmen. I am astounded at the general lack of kids playing out in the snow. Even I couldn't resist going out and sculpting an elephant in the garden when I was snowed in from work a few days ago!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Dunno where you live tricky,but our streets full of snowmen and I've seen at least half a dozen sledges those with out are improvising with bin lids and all sorts.
                    Also there's nothing more the big kids (teens) like doing than pelting you or your windows with snowballs!
                    Heather

Comment

Plenty of snow fun around my way too
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Glad to hear it Heather. There's one or two snowmen around here but that's it, and I live on a big estate full of kids. It's bizarre.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Gaming...
                          These days it's all about how real the graphics look/how good they are and how detailed the games are (screw that. Give me a bit of imagination any time) and we never see any groups of kids roleplaying Ben 10/Spongebob Squarepants. In my day it was the A-team.

Originally posted by smc4761 View Post
                          In one sense its is our own fault for Cowell and reality TV shows. Much as I hate them and dont watch the, they do attract huge audience figures. X Factor a few weeks ago pulled in 17 million viewrs which by any standards is excellent. The advertisers will be dlighted and as long as these shows keep pulling these figures we are stuck with them I may not like them but obviously millions do

Back to the thread, the haydays for kids TV I think was the 70 and early eighties, soo many quality cartoons and TV programmes many of which have alraedy been mentioned. My own favourites, early Scooby Doo, Flintstones, Hong Kong Phooey. bugs bunny Tom and Jerry
                          You forgot to metiong Fangface, Hey, its the King, The Groovy Ghoulies, etc. But I can'tsee why the newspapers make such a big deal about thing slike BGT, The X factor, I'm a Celebrity..Get me Out of Here and they never say what the big deal is and why they're so important.

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                          B*ll*cks to 'em
                          True. They're always on about democracy and having rights to an opinion (as long as it's theirs and what gives them the right to force THEIRS onto everybody else considering they're in the minority). Maybe we should just ignore them and carry on as usual.
                          WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                            I agree re the kids tv today it's awful the same thing every day and the real pity is that there are so many kids channels and they are just regurgitating the same trash every day.

A couple of weeks ago I showed my 8 year old daughter some clips on youtube of the kids programs I used to watch and she actually agreed with me that it was better than what she gets now!

That's why this Xmas I've bought my kids as stocking fillers DVDs of Bagpuss, Mr Benn, Dangermouse and Jamie and the magic torch they are all selling for around £2.99 on the internet - BARGAIN!!
                            there we are paulos even your kids agree the things we watchedare better that the programmes oif today.
                            it shows these shows are classiics and will never die.
                            im sure if more kids of today seen what we watched they would think the same as your kids do.

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              TV aside, I feel sorry for kids today because they don't appear to know that you use the foot of white stuff outside to go sledging, have snowball fights and build snowmen. I am astounded at the general lack of kids playing out in the snow. Even I couldn't resist going out and sculpting an elephant in the garden when I was snowed in from work a few days ago!
                              We live in a more rural setting and haven't had the snow to sledge (yet) and have a hill where as kids nearly the whole town would gather. We took our kids early this year when we did have snow and am glad to report that it was just as busy as it always used to be. A lot of my age group were there with their kids passing it on to the next generation.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                                We live in a more rural setting and haven't had the snow to sledge (yet) and have a hill where as kids nearly the whole town would gather. We took our kids early this year when we did have snow and am glad to report that it was just as busy as it always used to be. A lot of my age group were there with their kids passing it on to the next generation.
                                and did you and other parents join in.
                                dont only pass it on but get involved in it as you used to do.
                                just because you are older does not mean you should not do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X