X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I feel sorry for kids today

Originally posted by darren View Post
    and did you and other parents join in.
    dont only pass it on but get involved in it as you used to do.
    just because you are older does not mean you should not do it.
    You couldn't stop us!

Last edited by Paulos; 03-12-2010, 17:14.
    sigpic

Comment

Notice you dont need an expensive sledge where an old compost bag will do!!!
      sigpic

Comment

i remember i used to use one of those big compost bags yo slide down the side of mountains yrs back.
        few times i ended up ion a very ice stream.
        did not matter just went up and did it again.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
          What happened to the simple 5 minute cartoons like Bugs Bunny and Porky Pig?
          To be fair, the best ones were produced by one studio during a relatively short space of time. Same with Disney and Hanna Barbera. You get a concentration of talent that shines brightly for a short time.

It does still happen. For example, there is Pixar who make the Toy Story series, amongst others. They will probably go downhill eventually and we'll look back on their "golden age".

Comment

Defenitly Kids have noithing like what was so in the 1980s right through to me still being "young" in the late 90s/early 200s - though I still have a young outlook or try to today, but not always with luck Lol

Though Kids today (appear) though I may be wrong to havew way way more opportunitioes than in my day, but it still strikes a note that Tv (Kids and Adult Tv has gone totaly and is nothing what it was 10/20/25 year's since, but I am unsure - I think i'd of sacrificed rubbish TV of today growing up for the opportunity's Kids have today in a way somehow!

Comment

The other reason for the "popularity" of reality shows are that they're much cheaper to produce than a regular TV show combined with the fact that the viewing public is not particularly noted for its discriminating taste (especially in recent years) -- they'll accept whatever dross is offered them.

Comment

even though kids of today have more technology for me it seems as if they are not as happy.
                with all this technology the bad point ias they spend to much time inside.
                it also seems they are far harder to please.

but for the better technology tv programmes have suffered is there a connection betwwwen the better tech and tv getting worse i wonder.
                they way we are nostalgic on rthis site i feel the kids iof today will not lookk back in 30 yrs and reminisce about things the way we do.
                Yes far more reality shows now which is very sad.

the tv is just clogged up with all this sort of thing.
                Its more quantity in terms of quality now.
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                Defenitly Kids have noithing like what was so in the 1980s right through to me still being "young" in the late 90s/early 200s - though I still have a young outlook or try to today, but not always with luck Lol

Though Kids today (appear) though I may be wrong to havew way way more opportunitioes than in my day, but it still strikes a note that Tv (Kids and Adult Tv has gone totaly and is nothing what it was 10/20/25 year's since, but I am unsure - I think i'd of sacrificed rubbish TV of today growing up for the opportunity's Kids have today in a way somehow!

Comment

I can see what you mean Darren, you mention some good points that are really logical. Though I think Kids today, now have it way easier with thing's like Homework Club, Breakfast Club, After School Club etc at school but for me this is making thing's way easier and jusdt doing what has been so for the last 15/20 years ...... watering down education and making it easier for Kids to get their homework done - as opposed to in my day, it was either find theknowledge through family or go to a Library/read a book.

I guess it could be true they are not happy, but in a way too as a Kid i was content but also it is about "knowing what you know about life too" or that Kids now more now/or even possibly too much to be happy may-be even I think may-be possibly.

Comment

Depends on where you live, we have a park at the end of the street (slide, roundabout etc) a decent set of skate ramps, and a p/t council adventure playground and it's all full of kids 24/7. The school is next to it so it's full of kids and chatting mums/dads for an hour after school. If it wasn't there I think we'd still see football etc on the field, that's just the sort of place we live. If we still lived in Manchester I doubt the kids would ever really be out of the house.

it's also about how much we as parents put in, I take my lad down to the beach (10 mins walk) a couple of nights a week but we see a lot of parents just send their kids down to the park after school and shout them home for tea, rather than spend time with them passing on knowledge and experiences.

My lad also loves his DVDs, angry birds on my iPhone, and watching Ben 10 so it's a decent balance and not 'right on' parenting!

As for the kids of now not getting nostalgic, I knew that wasn't true the day I heard Dr Albarn on a Telly ad and thought 'what a good tune, not heard this for years!' each generation will remember its own rubbish fondly
                    I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

i feel kids will be more into nostalgia if you spend time with your kids as you do R.G.
                      I think its wonderful you share memories of when you where young with your lad.

it gets him thinking i wonder what it was like growing up in my dads time.

even better if you have pictures to show him.

i feel lots of parernts more than in our time do not spend quaity time with there kids.
                      Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                      Depends on where you live, we have a park at the end of the street (slide, roundabout etc) a decent set of skate ramps, and a p/t council adventure playground and it's all full of kids 24/7. The school is next to it so it's full of kids and chatting mums/dads for an hour after school. If it wasn't there I think we'd still see football etc on the field, that's just the sort of place we live. If we still lived in Manchester I doubt the kids would ever really be out of the house.

it's also about how much we as parents put in, I take my lad down to the beach (10 mins walk) a couple of nights a week but we see a lot of parents just send their kids down to the park after school and shout them home for tea, rather than spend time with them passing on knowledge and experiences.

My lad also loves his DVDs, angry birds on my iPhone, and watching Ben 10 so it's a decent balance and not 'right on' parenting!

As for the kids of now not getting nostalgic, I knew that wasn't true the day I heard Dr Albarn on a Telly ad and thought 'what a good tune, not heard this for years!' each generation will remember its own rubbish fondly

Comment

Aye there's a lot to be said for chucking out the two income family idea and living cheaply, we were just lucky that my o/hs family lived in Prestatyn so we had an obvious (and cheap/nice) place to move from the city. A lot of my married mates back in Manchester have their kids in 8am-6pm child care from an early age so they can both work to pay a £200,000+ mortgage, but for me I know i was never bothered about how many toys I had or the size of my bedroom. We recently found out we've got baby no3 on the way at the end of the summer, a lot of people would plan a move to a 4 bed straight away but we'll happily keep two of the kids sharing for at least five years and build up cash before we move rather than get a whopping mortgage just because it's expected.

I think it's possible to give kids today an amazing experience growing up- heck my lads been to France and USA and he's only three- but it takes more managing and giving stuff up than ever before. And a lot of telling then to get the heck away from the elctronics items and go out and play
                        I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Working...
                        X