School / Educational television programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Schools television

I remember two television programmes we regularly watched at school when I was about seven. One was 'Watch', the other was 'Up In The Attic'.

Watch was just a general education series, but it had a nice catchy introduction. It was an animation showing the development of a line drawing of the subject of the programme, as if being drawn by an invisible hand. During this animation they played the tune of 'Daisy Daisy' on a string instrument, which, without any prompting by the teacher, the kids all used to sing along to - all except me, as I didn't know the words.

'Up in the Attic' was about reading and spelling, using a model castle and the characters who lived in it. In one episode, the castle was infiltrated by a spy who looked exactly like the prince, and the king couldn't tell which was which. But he soon learned to tell the difference because the spy kept mispronouncing words: "They took me down to the kellar, and it is full of mike."

It's a pity I can't make good use of my ridiculously overdeveloped long-term memory.
    Last edited by Heather74; 08-10-2010, 22:46. Reason: merging threads
    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

Re: School television programmes

For me, schools tv memories were:
      Story World
      Zig Zag
      You and Me
      Word and Pictures (and the magic pencil)
      Maths is Fun
      Stop Look Listen (liked the opening titles with the face)
      How we used to live
      And most of all the rotating ITV logo with very pleasant music, then the logo changed into a clock with music we all had to hum along too.
      I also liked the S4C interval which had a clock with red balls bouncing to the beat.

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
        Story World
        Zig Zag
        You and Me
        Maths is Fun
        How we used to live
        And most of all the rotating ITV logo with very pleasant music, then the logo changed into a clock with music we all had to hum along too.
        I also liked the S4C interval which had a clock with red balls bouncing to the beat.
        I have all of HOW WE USED TO LIVE

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
          Story World
          Zig Zag
          You and Me
          Maths is Fun
          How we used to live
          I remember Zig Zag, Words and Pictures, Stop Look and Listen and How We Used To Live from this list. Also Music Time with the notes that used to light up. Can anyone remember Bill the Brickie from Words and Pictures? Build yasel a word! He started off as a Geordie but ended up with a 'proper' English accent.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Are you ready word watchers?

Geordie Bill...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcD8U...eature=related

Posh Bill (thanks to the mighty Derek Griffiths)...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ieDVzinpbU
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I remember Picture box if only for the music..
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IF-0XNKlhk

Comment

Re: School / Educational television programmes

It was always when I was ill in bed that I watched 'Programmes for Schools & Colleges'.

I remember 'Look & Read', 'Words & Pictures', 'Basic Maths', and 'Picture Box' hosted by Alan ("Hello") Rothwell.
                I also used to watch 'Let's Read With Basil Brush' on the ITV schools and colleges programmes.

Around late morning or lunchtime there was a show called 'Stepping Stones', a simple theme song with a female vocalist went like this - "Stepping Stones, Stepping Stones, one and two and three. If we rely on stepping stones, they'll bring you to me." - and whilst this was playing, three diamond shapes in a line formed on the screen with a rounded font for the programme's title. Can't recall the content of the show, but I think, like 'Picture Box' or 'Five To Eleven' it was short stories or poetry.

Then there was 'On The Move' with Bob Hoskins playing one of a team of removal men. It was related to adult literacy and had another great theme song.
                "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                  ...Around late morning or lunchtime there was a show called 'Stepping Stones', a simple theme song with a female vocalist went like this - "Stepping Stones, Stepping Stones, one and two and three. If we rely on stepping stones, they'll bring you to me." - and whilst this was playing, three diamond shapes in a line formed on the screen with a rounded font for the programme's title. Can't recall the content of the show, but I think, like 'Picture Box' or 'Five To Eleven' it was short stories or poetry...
                  If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was presented by Elisabeth Sladen; our very own Sarah Jane Smith!

Comment

There was also 'Merry-go-round', including the sex education series. I seemed to be the only one in the class who didn't find it embarrassing - it told me little I didn't already know. We were nine then - I didn't know how babies were conceived - that wasn't revealled to us until we were twelve - though the rumours started long before then. And they were correct.
                    The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

I loved the theme tune from "Merry-Go-Round."

There was also a geography programme called "Near And Far." Anyone remember that? Started with a clip of children in a playground, then the camera got further and further away until only a picture of the entire globe was visible on screen.

I loved those Maths programmes with those crazy cartoon number machines, too.

Comment

i vaguely remember watching a sci-fi series at school, probably around about 1977-78, there was an alien boy in it who was blue or maybe green. can't remember much more about it. it was definitely a schools programme tho' i remember the psychotic blue, green and purple flowery curtains being closed in the assembly hall and the dot clock counting down..... i wish my memory was better :-D

Comment

I think it was probably The Boy From Space which was on Look and Read

The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

i think it is!! my memory tells me he was blue, but for some reason i remember his skin being blue.. thats why no-one i know can remember what the hell i'm on about! thank you
                            x

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                              Then there was 'On The Move' with Bob Hoskins playing one of a team of removal men. It was related to adult literacy and had another great theme song.
                              On The Move was a BBC programme and, like you said, was part of the adult literacy scheme and not really a normal schools programme. When we were at school we'd sing 'on the loo' to the same tune.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                                I have all of HOW WE USED TO LIVE
                                Where did you get all of 'How we used to live' ?
                                Id love to get the whole series, i loved it in school.

Comment

Working...
                                X