School / Educational television programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School / Educational television programmes

The opening credits to Maths is Fun. Takes me back to primary school watching it in the TV room sitting on the floor with our legs crossed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTtngyp-L4c

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
      Looking back I think it was a terrible omission that there wasn't a television channel devoted to educational programmes for kids that broadcast at evenings and weekends. The BBC and ITV made tons of programmes for schools that could have been shown on this channel at a time when kids are available to watch them. My bugbear with BBC, ITV, and C4 is that prime time programmes were mostly news and light entertainment for adults but there was not a lot educational programmes for kids until after 9PM when parents are calling them for bed. A TV channel showing programmes related to school subjects like English, maths, science, geography, history, music, art, RE, technology, computing, and foreign languages from KS1 up to O Level / GCSE would have provided a useful and beneficial educational service from the 1970s through to more recent times. Even more so if it had its own Teletext pages. Some of them would have been for particular programmes and others more general material such as core topics in maths and English.
      You are so so right here Arran .... imagine the years of Archive footage there must be!

I know BBC2 and C4 had Schools programmes and most ran from 9 until half 2 to fit in with the school's Timetable (so to speak). I am sure (though not quite 100%) but at least 90% that ITV (as it was known before it became ITV 1) had a hand in on showing such programmes! It is/will always be a travesty of the highest order if such programmes can not be collaborated in some way I feel!

80sChav

Comment

What intrigues me is that the heyday of BBC and ITV schools programmes was in the years before the National Curriculum. How did the system work back then? Did the BBC and ITV produce programmes that they thought would be useful, then teachers 'cherry picked' whatever programmes they found interesting for their class? Most of the schools programmes that were produced and broadcast during my lifetime were designed around the National Curriculum.

Comment

Scene on BBC was my favourite. It was a schools drama series with such drama's as Junks & Sabs
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

there was a show cant think of its name but the fella narrating it had a frightening voice i remember one scene where in the programme there was a big wheel like at a fairground.

Been tyrying to think of the name of the show for at least 10 yrs.

Originally posted by twocky61 View Post
            scene on bbc was my favourite. It was a schools drama series with such drama's as junks & sabs
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Re: School television programmes

Originally posted by Star Attraction View Post
              Do you remember the little "ghost" Charlie on Words and Pictures?

There was one programme where he sang this song (this is something like how it went):

These are some of my favourite foods
              And I like them all with chips.

Chicken and chips, chicken and chips,
              Everybody here likes chicken and chips.
              We eat them all day, never throw them away,
              We all like chicken and chips.

Chocolate and chips, chocolate and chips,
              Everybody here likes chocolate and chips.
              We all like chocolate and chips.

Chewing gum and chips, chewing gum and chips,
              Everybody here likes chewing gum and chips.
              We all like chewing gum and chips.

Does anyone else who was around in the 1970s remember that little song? I do well. I know chocolate or chewing gum with chips seems ridiculous, but I think that song was really intended to teach children the CH sound, i.e. chips, chicken, chocolate, chewing gum.
              Yes. I remember this. I used to sing it to my daughter who is now 11 so this would have been before your post to this thread (over 6 years ago). I tried to get her to join in by making up my own things like chairs and chips but she didn't quite get that the word had to start with ch and came back with helicopters and chips. To be fair, I missed the point as well as chairs aren't really a food. Not in the UK anyway.

Comment

I remember seeing more schools programmes when I was off school than when I was there. Had ITV on the upstairs portable when I was ill in bed.

When I was at school, it was Words and Pictures at 2.00 pm on Monday afternoons, later, it was Look and Read - I saw Badger Girl, Fair Ground, the last school year to see Dark Towers, but the first one to see Geordie Racer.

I saw How We Used to Live with the teacher using a VCR because the lesson was in the afternoon, and schools programmes were only in the morning. I remember when schools programmes moved from ITV to Channel 4 and the person recording the programme made a slip up and had recorded Santa Barbara from ITV's new morning schedule instead!
                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X