School / Educational television programmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School / Educational television programmes

What school tv programmes can you remember watching????
    I can remember living & growing & How we used to live....There are 2 others which stick in my memory but I can't remember their names...One had Helen Worth(Coronation Street) in it and the other featured a story called "Cloud Burst"

Kind regards

Meg x x x

Re: School television programmes

Originally posted by Meg67 View Post
    What school tv programmes can you remember watching????
    I can remember living & growing & How we used to live....There are 2 others which stick in my memory but I can't remember their names...One had Helen Worth(Coronation Street) in it and the other featured a story called "Cloud Burst"

Kind regards

Meg x x x
    I remember Cloudburst ! It was from Look and Read. There used to be some clips on YT. I even recall the sig tune.

Huggie - Your link to other threads is very interesting and I've had a look at some of the posts which have really taken me back. I'd love to chat about 70s schools TV, but what's the form? Should we do it here? Or use one of the previous threads? I have loads of memories of the era.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74
      Heres fine
      Oh good!! (prepares to bore the pants off everyone)..........well, hope not.

Meg67 - 'Living and Growing' was a strange one. From memory, I think Radio 2's Sarah Kennedy did some narration for some of them. They were quite twee as I recall, with lots of kids jumping in a swimming pool!

The 'Look and Read' dramas were very good and there's lots on the internet about them. I think 'Cloudburst' was one of my faves.

'How We Used To Live' is something of a phenomenon. Once again, YouTube has lots of extracts and even a few full episodes, last time I looked. The series went on for years and there were some very familiar faces to be seen - early in their careers!

I loved 'Seeing and Doing', 'Music Time', 'Watch', a science one with Geoffrey Wheeler - can't remember the name - ...........and 'Picture Box', with that hypnotic music and slowing spinning silver and glass box.

But my greatest memory is 'Tom's Midnight Garden'. There were several versions made, but the Nicolas Bridge 1974 production was the one I first saw and it made a huge impression on me.

TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN | A TELEVISION HEAVEN REVIEW

Perhaps the most influential series was 'Scene' which was being made right up into the late 90s. Some amazing dramas, including the ground breaking 'Two of Us'.

Comment

a science one with Geoffrey Wheeler - can't remember the name - ..........
        I remember geoffrey wheeler used to do a radio show too, that was used for school assemblies.
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
          I remember geoffrey wheeler used to do a radio show too, that was used for school assemblies.
          oooooh! School radio in assemblies!

Yes, I think GW did something on radio. In primary school, (1970 to '74), we would often have those radio programmes. But not just for assemblies. There was a radio version of Music Time and we all had little books that connected with the broadcasts. A kind of early interactive media!!

(What was that Geoffrey Wheeler narrated schools TV series?)

Comment

Tom's Midnight Garden was one of my fave kid's progs of the 70s.

I have so many memories of being off school 'ill' watching schools tv all day. Often seeing the same episodes several times! Totally hooked.
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Yes, I think GW did something on radio. In primary school, (1970 to '74), we would often have those radio programmes. But not just for assemblies. There was a radio version of Music Time and we all had little books that connected with the broadcasts. A kind of early interactive media!!
              I remember "Time & Tune", probably around 1980/81, we used to have the songbooks and sing along with the radio, well a recording on a dodgy tape deck, I seem to remeber each term had a different book/theme, the ones I remember are to do with Romans "Romans Soldiers have sailed across the see and suddenly here we are", Football " Saturday Afternoon we go to the game, doesn't matter if it's sunshine or rain" and one about the Montgolfier brother balloon, to the tune of Ta-ra-ra-boom-di-aye. Also remember we went to see this "live" at Birmingham Town Hall although i can't remember a thing about the concert apart we hired 2 WM Travel buses.

Anyone else remember this or was it just the product of my over cative childhood imagination?

Comment

Yes, I definitely recall 'Time & Tune'. And that Montgolfier Brothers' balloon on the front cover of one of the booklets!

Comment

Thank goodness, if I mention Time and Tune to any of my friends I just get blank looks, at least I now know I didn't make it up

Comment

Originally posted by baggieman0 View Post
                    Thank goodness, if I mention Time and Tune to any of my friends I just get blank looks, at least I now know I didn't make it up
                    I just found out, they still make it! New series advertised on BBC Radio website.

And there's an original 1970s song book on ebay.

Now. Shall I...?

Comment

Go on you know you want to

Sing Hosannah
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I'm not sure if this should be a new thread but what other programmes are still going in a recognisable format from when we were younger, in my case late 70's, early 80's. I admit I'm struggling to think of one, is Blue Peter still going?

Comment

Originally posted by baggieman0 View Post
                          I'm not sure if this should be a new thread but what other programmes are still going in a recognisable format from when we were younger, in my case late 70's, early 80's. I admit I'm struggling to think of one, is Blue Peter still going?
                          Blue Peter is still on as is Newsround from that time.
                          sigpic
                          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I'm just bumping this thread because I've found this:

TV ARK | Schools TV

I say 'found' when I suppose 'rediscovered' would be better in that I've known about TV-ARK for ages. But I didn't realise how huge their video clip archive is! They have opening themes from masses of BBC and ITV Schools programmes from the 60s to the 90s, and some 'Channel 4 Schools' as well.

Who remembers the jaunty theme to 'Look Around' and the groovy version of 'Seeing and Doing'? There are also clips of those clocks that you saw just before the programmes started and the music that accompanied them.

Wonderful old memories.

...I'd completely forgotten about 'Meeting Our Needs' and 'Good Health'!
                            Last edited by Marine Boy; 24-09-2009, 17:17.

Comment

For me, the best part was always the 'dot clock' that would count down to the broadcast.

Of course, when our school was able to affford a VCR, the teachers used to forward past that part, making it EVEN more exciting, and the dot clock counted down at hyper-speed.

Fast forward would have made the intro to Picture Box even more intimidating than it already was...
                              The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
                              Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
                              X