Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been bugging me for YEARS!

Hi Guys,

Reading through these, I'm surprised us folks over 30(ish) aren't all gibbering wrecks! The TV shows we had as kids were all as scary as hell!! Even the so called "cute" characters were kind of creepy - a prime example being Hartley Hare. He was constructed from some kind of terrifying coconut matting type stuff and had a murderous look in his eye...

Anyway here's one for you. A kids TV show in the 70's. Can't remember what is was about, but the beginning part had kind of pointy shadow puppets - black cut out figures against a light (pale blue?) background. My sister keeps asking me and it's driving us bonkers!!

x
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Re: Been bugging me for YEARS!

Don't know if it's right but Twigwidge sprang to mind. It's one of the few that's not on the tube so can't say for definite.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

maybe this will ring a bell if it is

DOWN AT THE GATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN
      TWIGWIDGE LIVES IN A CHESTNUT TREE
      NO ONE KNOWS OF THE MERRY LITTLE TREE SPRITE
      DAYLONG WORKING SO HAPPILY

TAP-TAP TWIGWIDGE
      RAT-A-TAT TWIGWIDGE
      TWIGWIDGE, SPIRIT OF THE CHESTNUT TREE
      TAP-TAP TWIGWIDGE
      RAT-A-TAT TWIGWIDGE
      TWIGWIDGE, SPIRIT OF THE CHESTNU-HUT TREEEE.
      Heather

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
        Don't know if it's right but Twigwidge sprang to mind. It's one of the few that's not on the tube so can't say for definite.
        Nope - it's not that!

Thanks anyway hun! x
        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
          maybe this will ring a bell if it is

DOWN AT THE GATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN
          TWIGWIDGE LIVES IN A CHESTNUT TREENO ONE KNOWS OF THE MERRY LITTLE TREE SPRITE
          DAYLONG WORKING SO HAPPILY

TAP-TAP TWIGWIDGE
          RAT-A-TAT TWIGWIDGE
          TWIGWIDGE, SPIRIT OF THE CHESTNUT TREE
          TAP-TAP TWIGWIDGE
          RAT-A-TAT TWIGWIDGE
          TWIGWIDGE, SPIRIT OF THE CHESTNU-HUT TREEEE.

Now I have another quandry. I want to see what Twigwidge looked like and I'd never even heard of him till branny mentioned him! LOL!
          sigpic

Comment

I haven't heard of Twigewidge eitherBut I did like Hartley,he was a bit mangy looking though.My fav was Calimero apparently and something with an owl that read stories,dunno what it was called and Animal crackers,now they were scary,when I think about it.

tulip

Comment

yea bigtime!!!!!!! remember 'chocky' and 'Into the Labrynth'... all sinister
              Last edited by HG; 24-04-2009, 20:28. Reason: bad language even though starred out it was obvious what word was

Comment

Thank you thank you huggie74!!! Been singing this song to hundreds of people over the last **years and they have all looked at me like i was a loon!!

Comment

pipkin

Pipkins. Had a horribly scary Hartley hare also a pig and a tortoise

Comment

I'd love to see an episode of 'Pipkins'...I loved it. Was there a clock on it that would chime and a deep voice would say 'it's time........for a story'? (or a song or whatever).

Comment

Yeah I bought the complete series of Pipkins a couple of years ago, you're dead right, Hartley Hare is scary / freaky :O
                      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Yep, I remember Twigwidge. He was a character on a BBC schools broadcast sometime during the mid 70s, I'm guessing 1973-74. Together with my classmates I sat cross legged and learned the songs from a poorly printed songbook during the broadcast. When we had learned them we walked (yes, walked!) to the local old people's home to give a performance. There was a shocking lack of health & safety in those days, no hi-viz vests etc and the pedestrian had at least 50% of the responsibility for their own safety, but we got there okay. Bashing our tambourines and shaking our jingle bells we rattled through the tunes of Twigwidge. I remember looking at the old people and thinking how unimaginable it was to be so old, how had they got like that? Now of course I'm closer to their age than I am to my former school self. I still ask how I got like this..? Happy days.

Comment

Twigwidge sort of rang a bell, so I done a bit of a search and borrowed a couple of pictures. Could these be from the school publication that went with the broadcast back in the 70's.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X