Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work Experience...

Default Re: Work Experience...

Quote Originally Posted by frame View Post
    ...We went to Scilly Isles but that led to disaster.
    At some point, we want the full story!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    At some point, we want the full story!
    Yeah come on we're all dying to know what happened!

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

I resisted like mad - ended up having two or three meetings about it with the teacher in charge.

'We'll find you something...'

Oh no. My way or nothing. Did a week in a gun shop cleaning shotguns, and on one occasion wound up clinging to the side of a Mitsubishi Shogun as it went across a field on the way to demo some trap guns.

I did a two day Work Shadowing thing at the Sock Shop in Oxford Circus, which involved pretty much following some woman around while she ran the store. That was ****.

Better though was a two week work experience gig I did at what was then Westminster Cable. I got to work on some promotional posters for them, go out on service calls across the rooftops of central London, and learned how to program teletext. I used to think it was soooo cool that they had TVs in every office with MTV playing all the time, or CNN during lunch hours. Loved it there.

I also got a placement in a school as a Media Resources Officer's assistant, running copies and duping videos for teachers. That summer, the MRO left and they hired me full time, and I basically alone in this office all day with not much to do. I pretty much spent my days writing a book, which I then printed and bound, and pirating movies that I rented and liked. I think I made a couple of magazines for some club I was in, too. But it was summer, and I was getting paid 113 quid a week, which was big bucks for a 17 year old back then. Lots of beer money, let's put it that way...
    Official archivist: Made In The 70s Blog, July 24 2010 Guardian Technology Internet Pick Of The Week.

At school I did my Work Experience at the local library, which was mixed.

Some of the work was very boring, checking that all the books on a shelf were in the order of the Dewey system was the worst.

The only real perk was being able to request books for free.

We never had the option. Don't know why. Probably not a bad thing when i see the merry dance the pupils were led at a certain supermarket i worked at when at college. The butcher used to have them rolling mince into meatballs and hanging them on meat hooks. We used to send them to FADS for a tin of tartan paint. The bloke in FADS must have known what was happening because he sent them back with the message "we've only got striped". Then there was the usual bucket of steam, left handed screwdriver, long stand etc but the best of the lot was when one of the strip lights broke and the poor kid was sent to a diy shop to ask for a 6ft falopian tube. How cruel. LOL.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Quote Originally Posted by kazboot View Post
    Yeah come on we're all dying to know what happened!
    Not real naughty by todays standards,we strayed off from the group and went for a swim. Unfortunatly we left our clothes too close to the water,end result was we went home with less clothing than we went with as it floated off. My friend fell asleep in someones garden and was'nt found until the house owners got home from work,(later found out he suffered from narclepsy) as we were all from the same bunch we got excluded from any further activities. Paris the following year was out of the question!

Quote Originally Posted by frame View Post
    not real naughty by todays standards,we strayed off from the group and went for a swim. Unfortunatly we left our clothes too close to the water,end result was we went home with less clothing than we went with as it floated off.
    lol!

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Quote Originally Posted by branny View Post
    ...the poor kid was sent to a diy shop to ask for a 6ft falopian tube. How cruel. LOL.
    LOL!! I had a mate who was sent to the cake shop whilst on work experience. She asked for a creamy q**m.... LOL!
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

crikey,i forgot about work experience.I went to a home for the disabled with a few school mates.It got to the stage were we totally forgot we were in school,and just went there every day.We noticed less and less staff after about 6 months or so,and one staff member said the home was laying off full time staff,and getting us kids to do the work,which in all honesty,they really did seem to be doing.A few girls worked there with us,and they really got a load of work to do,all adult type work,where they would have to clean up people with soiled bodies etc.