Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Experience...

Hi Guys,

Who remembers going on work experience? The week of secondary school where you had to go and work for NO PAY at a local company.

I did mine at a local library. It was torturous! I spent a week being told to Ssssh!!! whilst sticking in the little sheets at the front of books that they stamp and dusting loads! OMG I HATED IT!!! Being a bit of a loudmouth I couldn't have been given a worse placement!! LOL! They offered me a job at the end of it which I very politely declined!! The Education committee always had little imagination when it came to work experience placements!! How about a week working in a zoo or a sweetie factory or at a theme park testing rollercoasters - now THAT would have been an experience......LOL!
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Re: Work Experience...

I did mine at a Nursery School which is now a part of the Infants school my son now attends and I now work in all these years later
    However my work experience was in the classroom and I've ended up serving them their dinners!
    It was quite an enjoyable week the kids were fantastic but I have to say some of the parents weren't, One Mother went ape at me because I'd wrote "Dan" on her sons painting instead of "Daniel" ,even though all the Teachers called him Dan. :cry:
    Heather

Comment

I had two work-experience placements, in the fifth year and the sixth form.

The first was at Shepperton Studios! The trouble was, I was in one of the audio rooms, helping to copy Welsh langauge cassettes, ......while Superman was being filmed on the sound stage!!

The second placement was in the junior school I'd left only five or so years before. I really enjoyed it. But I didn't have the qualifications when I left school to train as a school teacher. It was sixteen years later, after a number of different jobs, I started working in a primary school in Special Needs support. I'm still doing it today.

Comment

I was at our Local Swimming Pool, Really enjoyed it, usually spent a couple of hour's washing the floors in the changing rooms, tidying away the hoses after hosing down the poolside, being shown how to check the chlorene levels in the water and re-filling the sweet dispencing machine's, and Yes....a few Mars bars and snicker's did go missing occasionally But the best Bit was, once everything had been done, you could do what you liked having a huge swimming pool with a spring board to swim in was reall hard work, also at the back there were squash court's a sauna and a gym
        I too got offered a job there when I left school, but as with Teejay I politely turned it down, I mean imagine try to get a girlfriend and she say's "what do you do for a Job??" I work in the local swimming Pool ! "Oooo, what do you do there ?? " Duh, I Ermmm, wash the floors LOOL
        DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          I had two work-experience placements, in the fifth year and the sixth form.

The first was at Shepperton Studios! The trouble was, I was in one of the audio rooms, helping to copy Welsh langauge cassettes, ......while Superman was being filmed on the sound stage!!
          See? How boring was my turgid week at Ash Library compared with that? Tut... Damn you, Yeomans Bridge School!!
          "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
          sigpic

Comment

I never got to do work experience for some reason. I think at our school you had to try and find your own placement, so that's probably why i didn't do it.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

I didn't do it either HG. Perhaps we are too old!
              sigpic
              'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Perhaps.

I remember some people doing it, just cant remember why I didn't.
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

same here...no-one did it at my comp (1977-82)..was never even mentioned
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I along with a handfull of others were excluded from schemes such as this as we we were deemed a bit too disruptive. School trips to france also. We went to Scilly Isles but that led to disaster.
                    Last edited by frame; 16-04-2009, 05:23. Reason: rubish SPelings
                    "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by frame View Post
                      ...We went to Scilly Isles but that led to disaster.
                      At some point, we want the full story!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                        At some point, we want the full story!
                        Yeah come on we're all dying to know what happened!
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I resisted like mad - ended up having two or three meetings about it with the teacher in charge.

'We'll find you something...'

Oh no. My way or nothing. Did a week in a gun shop cleaning shotguns, and on one occasion wound up clinging to the side of a Mitsubishi Shogun as it went across a field on the way to demo some trap guns.

Comment

I did a two day Work Shadowing thing at the Sock Shop in Oxford Circus, which involved pretty much following some woman around while she ran the store. That was ****.

Better though was a two week work experience gig I did at what was then Westminster Cable. I got to work on some promotional posters for them, go out on service calls across the rooftops of central London, and learned how to program teletext. I used to think it was soooo cool that they had TVs in every office with MTV playing all the time, or CNN during lunch hours. Loved it there.

I also got a placement in a school as a Media Resources Officer's assistant, running copies and duping videos for teachers. That summer, the MRO left and they hired me full time, and I basically alone in this office all day with not much to do. I pretty much spent my days writing a book, which I then printed and bound, and pirating movies that I rented and liked. I think I made a couple of magazines for some club I was in, too. But it was summer, and I was getting paid 113 quid a week, which was big bucks for a 17 year old back then. Lots of beer money, let's put it that way...
                            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

At school I did my Work Experience at the local library, which was mixed.

Some of the work was very boring, checking that all the books on a shelf were in the order of the Dewey system was the worst.

The only real perk was being able to request books for free.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X