Work Experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work Experience...

There was no work experience when I left school in 1978. We did get to visit a business of our choice for a single afternoon, just to be shown around. I went to our local Lucas factory. For some reason most seemed to want to go to the local cake bakery.

Comment

I done my work experience in about 1982,during a rather hot summer . It was a way for the school to punish those who could not afford to go to France or Spain as a week long field trip. Those of us whose parents could not afford to let us go had to do Work experience instead. I was forced to work for 2 weeks on a local farm up to my neck in cow s*!t. I was covered in the stuff every day.
      I started at 6.00 am in the morning and finished around 6.00pm at night and done everything asked of me including mucking out knee deep in excrement cow pens. It was that foul. I had to walk in 5 miles and walk home 5 miles every day of it. Got nothing for the work I done not even a thank you then was expected to write an essay lasting many many pages at the end to give to our careers teacher and French teachers. It was more like free slavery for the farmer and he must of been laughing all the way to the bank as he got free labour. I even had to bring my own food which by the time we got to dinner time was not even edible and had gone off. Dinner time was the only break I got in some 12 hours of hard labour.One of the farm hands gave me an ice lolly on the last day which I fed to a cow. I hope the ruddy beast chocked on it.

What did I learn. never trust a teacher again, and most farmers have wallets tighter then a ducks ****.

Comment

I did not know there was work experience in 1982. I left school that year. We never had any work experience.

Comment

Work experience in the part of Wiltshire I lived was kept for those people who could not afford to go on a French or Spanish Field trip during the year. So instead of letting us continue normal lessons or have the time off we were sent like slaves to work for various companies chosen by our careers teacher. Some got shop work, some factory, I got the farm. I left school in 1983.So perhaps I was one of the unlucky ones to get an early taste of what was to come back in 1982. Certainly free labour for the lucky employer and no experience for the poor kid who had to endure it.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
            I done my work experience in about 1982,during a rather hot summer . It was a way for the school to punish those who could not afford to go to France or Spain as a week long field trip..

The school should have a fund so those parent's who could not afford it could still send little Johnny/Mary on the foreign trip; just like with free school meals
            sigpic
            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

My brother didn't pick one of the choices so got to watch videos all week at school. So me and my mate decided we'd do the same, except it backfired and there were two placements left on the list and we had to take one each, both working for the council, as groundskeepers in different parks.

I must admit it was quite funny the one I went on, as it was summer and all my jobs were outside (like weeding the artificial cricket pitch, or weeding around the bowling green) I got an awesome tan. Everyone thought i'd been on holiday when I got back to school. My mate's one sounded more fun though as he got to drive some tippers.

Comment

Working...
              X