hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hospital

Having athma's had been in hospital a few times over the past few years.
    The seconf time, was in THREE times in eight weeks.. It began with a midnight attack weh lad me sat on the bathroom toilet for an hour and ANOTHER seven hours later so I ended up in hospital for a week and was back again two weeks later for another week.

Last time I was in, I'd had a bad athma attack I was sick in the back of the ambulance with the nebuliser. Two-three hours (T think) after I arrive I head screaming as if somebody was being tortured and asked if I could join in. Turned out somebody was having thier arm broken and then there was the time I was waiting for a bed in the same room and it turned out that somebody in the next bed had died of a heart attack.

Back in again on Moday for the usualfortnightly injections, one in each arm but I'm used to pricks.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Re: hospital

asthma can be very severe indeed mate.
      especially if you are without your inhaler.

ive only been in hospital for eye operations.
      first was when i was 5.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My adivce?
        Judging by the extortionate prices they charge in hospital shops I STRONGLY reccommend getting yourself over to the ne4arest pound shop for a supply of drink and chocolate and having an emergency bag packed and ready with everything you need. What I do is request biscuits with my coffee/cheese and crackers from the meals and save the cheese, crackers and biscuits.
        WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
          My adivce?
          Judging by the extortionate prices they charge in hospital shops I STRONGLY reccommend getting yourself over to the ne4arest pound shop for a supply of drink and chocolate and having an emergency bag packed and ready with everything you need. What I do is request biscuits with my coffee/cheese and crackers from the meals and save the cheese, crackers and biscuits.
          Great advice going to the pound shop for supplies. I'd never pay what they charge in those hospital shops - it's extortionate!

Only time I went to hospital as a kid for treatment was when I cracked my head of a wall, I didn't even need stitches, just bled for a while then was left with a huge lump.

First overnight stay in hospital was when I was 27 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
            Great advice going to the pound shop for supplies. I'd never pay what they charge in those hospital shops - it's extortionate!

Only time I went to hospital as a kid for treatment was when I cracked my head of a wall, I didn't even need stitches, just bled for a while then was left with a huge lump.

First overnight stay in hospital was when I was 27 lol.
            first over nighter in hospital when u where 27.

that must have been for the birth of your eldest child sandie.
            the six year old i mean.

ive been in hospital many times.

first time was when i was seven.
            i had to get some work done on my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              first over nighter in hospital when u where 27.

that must have been for the birth of your eldest child sandie.
              the six year old i mean.

ive been in hospital many times.

first time was when i was seven.
              i had to get some work done on my eyes.
              Yeah that's why I was in, and it was really weird as I've never really liked hospitals - don't think anyone does really.

Having work done on your eyes doesn't sound very pleasant darren.

Comment

Originally posted by sandie76 View Post
                Yeah that's why I was in, and it was really weird as I've never really liked hospitals - don't think anyone does really.

Having work done on your eyes doesn't sound very pleasant darren.
                it was not to nice indeed.
                we are all funny about being operated on the eyes.
                had 3 or 4 eye ops between the ages of 7 and 15.
                it was to correct a squint.
                it will never be completely corrected.
                i was told its as good now as it can be.

when the op was finished they put a patch on the eye for a day.
                when it was removed i was told to keep my open.
                i was told that if i had not done so my eye would not close permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  it was not to nice indeed.
                  we are all funny about being operated on the eyes.
                  had 3 or 4 eye ops between the ages of 7 and 15.
                  it was to correct a squint.
                  it will never be completely corrected.
                  i was told its as good now as it can be.

when the op was finished they put a patch on the eye for a day.
                  when it was removed i was told to keep my open.
                  i was told that if i had not done so why would close permanently.
                  Sounds like you had alot to deal with as a child - one operation would be hard enough to deal with, never mind 3 or 4.

Comment

yes sandie about 4 eye ops.
                    it will never be perfect.
                    its now as good as it can be.

Comment

I went to hospital after I jammed my little finger in a door. The consultant did a two for one and fixed my 'trigger thumb' on the other hand at the same time. I was only about 3 so I don't remember much except the big black triangle mask coming down over my face and having two comedy boxing glove bandages on afterwards.

I was also born with a squint and was in and out of clinics having my sight tested, but I never needed an operation as it eventually righted itself, although my eyes still look ever so slightly wonky from certain angles.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                        My memoery of staying in hospital to have my tonsils taken out is quite a pleasant one.
                        First thing I remember is going shopping with my mum, new nightie, dressing gown, colouring book with a big packet of pencils. Then making friends with the other four kids on the ward.
                        I was the only girl I woke up in the night needing the toilet and was afraid to go by myself so off we all trooped together down the corridor which was scary and exciting all at the same time.
                        The best bit was jelly and Ice cream as after having your tonsils out was about the only thing we could manage to eat
                        They sounded like nice boys to take you to the toilet. I feel cynical but imagine boys today would simply tell you to (ahem!) off and go back to sleep!! I hated being in hospital as a child. I was in when I was 4. Hated it. A nasty bigger boy took my favourite soft toy, Poochie and hid it under his covers. I screamed out for the Nurse and she came and when I told her the other boy took Poochie he lied, then I said he'd hid him under his covers and she found him. Poor Poochie! I expect that kid turned out to be a right bully in later life an all....kids like that usually do....
                        I do remember there being a 'larger selection' on the menu for meals, but being a child I hated it all. I distinctly remember being offered a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST FRY UP!!! Said NO though and I also remember having to be in bed all day unless going to the loos...

Comment

i had my tonsils out when i was 8. i remember one of the kids would scream out loud all night.

Comment

I went into hospital when I was 3. Because my Mum was heavily pregnant they let her sleep in a room with me to save her coming in and out of hospital. I had to sleep in a big metal cot. I can still remember the smell of the canteen. I loved the playroom, it had a proper rocking horse and hungry hippos.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                              They sounded like nice boys to take you to the toilet. I feel cynical but imagine boys today would simply tell you to (ahem!) off and go back to sleep!! I hated being in hospital as a child. I was in when I was 4. Hated it. A nasty bigger boy took my favourite soft toy, Poochie and hid it under his covers. I screamed out for the Nurse and she came and when I told her the other boy took Poochie he lied, then I said he'd hid him under his covers and she found him. Poor Poochie! I expect that kid turned out to be a right bully in later life an all....kids like that usually do....
                              I do remember there being a 'larger selection' on the menu for meals, but being a child I hated it all. I distinctly remember being offered a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST FRY UP!!! Said NO though and I also remember having to be in bed all day unless going to the loos...

it must have really annoyed you that happening as poochie was sort of a safety blanket for you.
                              how long ago did this happen.
                              do u still have him mate.

Comment

In June 1988 as a nine year old, I went to the local City Hospital for a scheduled operation which is, shall we say, generally associated with Jewish baby boys at birth, let's put it like that! I am not Jewish, but I had it done for medical reasons, I was referred by my then GP who wrote to the consultant at the hospital. My parents had booked an appointment with the GP after they noticed that I had blood on the underwear and wanted to know what was wrong. I went in for a test on 20th April that year, and they booked me in as a patient on 16th May that year, but after giving a sample, I was officially booked in on 22nd June that year and stayed for three days. Remember that the local City Hospital was nothing like Great Ormond Street!

So I went in on the 22nd, and the operation was literally 24 hours after I had been administered by triage. On Thursday 23rd, they gave me the anaesthetic, felt sleepy etc. Woke up around six hours later, and the area of the operation looked as if a Rottweiler had been making a nice alternative to the usual Pedigree Chum that he usually eats. From an operation perspective, it was a case of "two for the price of one" as I needed a second operation to stop it from bleeding. Pity really as they gave me fish and chips for the Friday 24th lunch and couldn't finish it because I was nil by mouth in preparation of the second operation - mind you the fish had bones in it which could have choked me which meant that I would have gone to hospital as a result! Had a bath with nurse watching over me (no privacy, huh!) to wash myself properly.

Changed wards because first ward was closing - nurse wheeling me in a wheelchair (the only time in my life that I have ever been in a wheelchair, touch wood) to another ward on the next floor up, etc. Sheets covered in blood because, my blood group has proved that I such a bleeder. This operation was successful, and by Saturday lunchtime, I was discharged and sent three miles back home in a taxi - no way I was going to walk or get a bus in my condition!

In 2007 I obtained my medical notes under the Data Protection Act 1998 and it was pure nostalgia to read it all again! Also, a year after the operation I saw that Hale and Pace Billy and Johnny "one skin, two skin" sketch and I thought that it was a wonderful satire of the operation that I had the year before!
                                Last edited by George 1978; 04-01-2019, 03:10.
                                I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                                There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                                I'm having so much fun
                                My lucky number's one
                                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                                X