hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hospital

i recently discovered that being a child in hospital is not like it was when i was young
    i vividly remember being ordered to stay in bed until certain times, not having much to play with except books and not being able to see parents until set visiting time.the ward was also very sterile and not specifically centred around children

now they have coloured paintings on walls and parents arte encouraged to stay with them, and they can play with toys in bed.

Re: hospital

I remember spending a few days in hospital when i was 6/7, i hated every single minute and cried every night.

I also remember throwing ice cream up all over the place too after I told the nurses I didnt feel like eating it
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
      I remember spending a few days in hospital when i was 6/7, i hated every single minute and cried every night.

I also remember throwing ice cream up all over the place too after I told the nurses I didnt feel like eating it
      oh thats right, they also didnt let children eat what they wanted, or what their parents would bring in in those days, i also remember having to sit down to what would be considered adult meals (liver, mash, greens) and hating it

Comment

My memoery of staying in hospital to have my tonsils taken out is quite a pleasant one.
        First thing I remember is going shopping with my mum, new nightie, dressing gown, colouring book with a big packet of pencils. Then making friends with the other four kids on the ward.
        I was the only girl I woke up in the night needing the toilet and was afraid to go by myself so off we all trooped together down the corridor which was scary and exciting all at the same time.
        The best bit was jelly and Ice cream as after having your tonsils out was about the only thing we could manage to eat
        Heather

Comment

I remember going in for a couple of days when young - had a Corgi Hulk pickup - the one where he's smashing out of the cage on the back. On the last day, my parents showed up with a 12 inch Chewbacca - still have him, but the elastic holding the arms snapped a couple of years back.

Kids have it easy - last time I was in hospital I kept getting into trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
            My memoery of staying in hospital to have my tonsils taken out is quite a pleasant one.
            First thing I remember is going shopping with my mum, new nightie, dressing gown, colouring book with a big packet of pencils. Then making friends with the other four kids on the ward.
            I was the only girl I woke up in the night needing the toilet and was afraid to go by myself so off we all trooped together down the corridor which was scary and exciting all at the same time.
            The best bit was jelly and Ice cream as after having your tonsils out was about the only thing we could manage to eat
            Heather, were you on MY ward?

Sounds sooooo similar to my experience...tonsils & adenoids out, colouring book & comics at the ready, I vividly still remember the awful 'hospital smell' as you went to the toilet (ONLY time you were allowed out of bed )

Then jelly & ice cream the first thing to eat, a day or so later
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I had my tonsils out when I was 8. I hated the hospital and threw a fit every time the dinner trolley came round. I wouldn't eat the food and they wouldn't let me out until I ate some cornflakes and toast (sadistic or what). The upshot of it was I ended up in there for over a week and finally got out on Christmas Eve! Ho Ho NO.
              "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                I had my tonsils out when I was 8. I hated the hospital and threw a fit every time the dinner trolley came round. I wouldn't eat the food and they wouldn't let me out until I ate some cornflakes and toast (sadistic or what).
                Sounds like you made a good impression on them, may as well have fed you razorblades
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
                  Sounds like you made a good impression on them, may as well have fed you razorblades
                  I think they actually may have. I was a little precious.......
                  "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                  sigpic

Comment

I have very fond memories of being in Great Ormond Street Hospital when I was 12. There was so much going on there all the time, famous people visiting ( I met Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart and got his autograph!), lots of toys, games and arranged entertainment. Fabulous place that's still very special to me.
                    sigpic
                    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                      I have very fond memories of being in Great Ormond Street Hospital when I was 12. There was so much going on there all the time, famous people visiting ( I met Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart and got his autograph!), lots of toys, games and arranged entertainment. Fabulous place that's still very special to me.
                      so your only 30 now kaz.

i wish all hospitals where like that.
                      and have tou still got all these toys and his autograph.

did this happen to any pther kids when you where matey.
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

i went to hospital when i was 9 (1978) to have my ananoids and tonsils out, the hospital was a private one cos i couldnt wait they were really bad, on the nhs u had to wait about 6 months the doctor said she can't wait so my parents paid lol i rememeber waking up and screaming TAKE ME HOME then falling back to sleep my mum was crying, my pillow was full of blood and in the morning we had jelly and ice cream and colouring books and pencils i think i was in for a week but a couple of days stayin in the hospital we started to explore the place lol
                        The Damned

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          so your only 30 now kaz.

i wish all hospitals where like that.
                          and have tou still got all these toys and his autograph.

did this happen to any pther kids when you where matey.

Sadly Darren it was 1972 so am a bit more than 30 now!

Yes, I still have Stewpot's autograph! I bet it's not worth much though

I can't speak highly enough of Gt Ormond St. They made my stay there truly memorable and enjoyable despite obviously being ill and having treatment.
                          Last edited by kazboot; 14-01-2011, 01:04.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                            Sadly Darren it was 1972 so am a bit more than 30 now!

Yes, I still have Stewpot's autograph! I bet it's not worth much though

I can't speak highly enough of Gt Ormond St. They made my stay there truly memorable and enjoyable despite obviously being ill and having treatment.

its worth a lot to you though kaz.
                            in terms of sentimental value its priceless.
                            i can make you thirty again if u want me too.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                              i can make you thirty again if u want me too.
                              LOL! If only....
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X