Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hospital

Default hospital

i recently discovered that being a child in hospital is not like it was when i was young
    i vividly remember being ordered to stay in bed until certain times, not having much to play with except books and not being able to see parents until set visiting time.the ward was also very sterile and not specifically centred around children

now they have coloured paintings on walls and parents arte encouraged to stay with them, and they can play with toys in bed.

Default Re: hospital

I remember spending a few days in hospital when i was 6/7, i hated every single minute and cried every night.

I also remember throwing ice cream up all over the place too after I told the nurses I didnt feel like eating it
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    I remember spending a few days in hospital when i was 6/7, i hated every single minute and cried every night.

I also remember throwing ice cream up all over the place too after I told the nurses I didnt feel like eating it
    oh thats right, they also didnt let children eat what they wanted, or what their parents would bring in in those days, i also remember having to sit down to what would be considered adult meals (liver, mash, greens) and hating it

My memoery of staying in hospital to have my tonsils taken out is quite a pleasant one.
    First thing I remember is going shopping with my mum, new nightie, dressing gown, colouring book with a big packet of pencils. Then making friends with the other four kids on the ward.
    I was the only girl I woke up in the night needing the toilet and was afraid to go by myself so off we all trooped together down the corridor which was scary and exciting all at the same time.
    The best bit was jelly and Ice cream as after having your tonsils out was about the only thing we could manage to eat

I remember going in for a couple of days when young - had a Corgi Hulk pickup - the one where he's smashing out of the cage on the back. On the last day, my parents showed up with a 12 inch Chewbacca - still have him, but the elastic holding the arms snapped a couple of years back.

Kids have it easy - last time I was in hospital I kept getting into trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by huggie74 View Post
    My memoery of staying in hospital to have my tonsils taken out is quite a pleasant one.
    First thing I remember is going shopping with my mum, new nightie, dressing gown, colouring book with a big packet of pencils. Then making friends with the other four kids on the ward.
    I was the only girl I woke up in the night needing the toilet and was afraid to go by myself so off we all trooped together down the corridor which was scary and exciting all at the same time.
    The best bit was jelly and Ice cream as after having your tonsils out was about the only thing we could manage to eat
    Heather, were you on MY ward?

Sounds sooooo similar to my experience...tonsils & adenoids out, colouring book & comics at the ready, I vividly still remember the awful 'hospital smell' as you went to the toilet (ONLY time you were allowed out of bed )

Then jelly & ice cream the first thing to eat, a day or so later

Splitters!

Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

I had my tonsils out when I was 8. I hated the hospital and threw a fit every time the dinner trolley came round. I wouldn't eat the food and they wouldn't let me out until I ate some cornflakes and toast (sadistic or what). The upshot of it was I ended up in there for over a week and finally got out on Christmas Eve! Ho Ho NO.
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

Quote Originally Posted by Teejay View Post
    I had my tonsils out when I was 8. I hated the hospital and threw a fit every time the dinner trolley came round. I wouldn't eat the food and they wouldn't let me out until I ate some cornflakes and toast (sadistic or what).
    Sounds like you made a good impression on them, may as well have fed you razorblades
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
    Sounds like you made a good impression on them, may as well have fed you razorblades
    I think they actually may have. I was a little precious.......
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

I have very fond memories of being in Great Ormond Street Hospital when I was 12. There was so much going on there all the time, famous people visiting ( I met Ed 'Stewpot' Stewart and got his autograph!), lots of toys, games and arranged entertainment. Fabulous place that's still very special to me.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'