Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: hospital

Default Re: hospital

On the other hand, as a visitor to hospital, I saw my nephews for the first time, and sadly, my parents die within hours of my visit - father to a heart attack and mother to lung cancer, and I was only 18 and 21 respectively. I can vouch that even being an outsider as a visitor, things can almost feel as if you are in the chair (or bed to be more specific).
    I am now in my 40s (just in case anyone asks).

Saw a newsclip the other day where the local pony club had been invited to bring along some ponies into the childrens hospital to give rides to the young patients around the corridors. Also the use of ride on cars to go down to theatre instead of the scary trolley beds, anything that makes hospital easier for kids is good imo
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed. Being so young, it is all rather vague. I can remember my mother being there a lot and she got me a couple of uniforms for my Action Man--perhaps they were for my birthday rather than for being in hospital. I do recall being wheeled on a trolley, presumably to the operating theatre. I recall seeing cobwebs on the ceiling of the corridors, but I presume I was way out of it on some pre-op medicine and the cobwebs were just hallucenations. I don't recall being with other children, so was possibly in a separate room due to being so young, but I don't know--it was definitely NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed. Being so young, it is all rather vague. I can remember my mother being there a lot and she got me a couple of uniforms for my Action Man--perhaps they were for my birthday rather than for being in hospital. I do recall being wheeled on a trolley, presumably to the operating theatre. I recall seeing cobwebs on the ceiling of the corridors, but I presume I was way out of it on some pre-op medicine and the cobwebs were just hallucenations. I don't recall being with other children, so was possibly in a separate room due to being so young, but I don't know--it was definitely NHS.
    I had the sane experience at roughly the same age ..

I remember them giving my toast
    ( after a throat op !) followed by ice cream !

I never hear of anyone having their adenoids removed these days !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    Saw a newsclip the other day where the local pony club had been invited to bring along some ponies into the childrens hospital to give rides to the young patients around the corridors. Also the use of ride on cars to go down to theatre instead of the scary trolley beds, anything that makes hospital easier for kids is good imo
    I just cannot imagine any NHS staff to allow any sort of animals inside a hospital, be it large or small - it reminds me of that Casualty episode (from the mid to late 1990s) where an elderly lady who kept birds took them into the cubicle with her and they flew around the ward. Surely any animal inside a sterile place such as a hospital would not be allowed?
    Last edited by George 1978; 05-01-2019 at 01:13.

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed.
    I was just about to say that it isn't very nice to spend one's birthday in hospital and that I am glad that it had not happened to me, but thinking about it, I have spent my birthday in hospital - just like lots of people when they are born!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I just cannot imagine any NHS staff to allow any sort of animals inside a hospital, be it large or small - it reminds me of that Casualty episode (from the mid to late 1990s) where an elderly lady who kept birds took them into the cubicle with her and they flew around the ward. Surely any animal inside a sterile place such as a hospital would not be allowed?
    My thoughts also so i you tubed it and seems to be quite a common practice

It's interesting because it reminds me of someone bringing a dog into a hospital, and the receptionist at the desk being told to go to take the animal to a vet instead, understandably.

The problem is that some people love animals so much that they think that they have the same medical treatment as their human counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I was just about to say that it isn't very nice to spend one's birthday in hospital and that I am glad that it had not happened to me, but thinking about it, I have spent my birthday in hospital - just like lots of people when they are born!
    Spent my 17th birthday in hospital with a collapsed lung, i had been to see AC/DC the night before and woke up the following morning with dreadful chest pains, never occured to me to ring an ambulance so i walked to the hospital in agony and a drain was put in my chest, next day i had a major op to repair the lung. The doctor said my headbanging antics had probably caused it to happen.

I was born in hospital of course, hence the fact that I have been in hospital on my birthday!

I have always wondered what it would have been like to stay in hospital over Christmas - my parents were given a handbook about a child's stay in hospital when I went in for my operation back in 1988, and on one of the pages it mentioned what happened on the wards at Christmas - I assume they had a doctor or porter as Father Christmas handing out presents to the children.

Ironically, my stay back in then was in June, and as it was still light outside the nurses tried to make sure that we got to sleep early as kids in the ward, even though the extra daylight in mid June made it difficult to do so.