hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: hospital

On the other hand, as a visitor to hospital, I saw my nephews for the first time, and sadly, my parents die within hours of my visit - father to a heart attack and mother to lung cancer, and I was only 18 and 21 respectively. I can vouch that even being an outsider as a visitor, things can almost feel as if you are in the chair (or bed to be more specific).
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Saw a newsclip the other day where the local pony club had been invited to bring along some ponies into the childrens hospital to give rides to the young patients around the corridors. Also the use of ride on cars to go down to theatre instead of the scary trolley beds, anything that makes hospital easier for kids is good imo
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed. Being so young, it is all rather vague. I can remember my mother being there a lot and she got me a couple of uniforms for my Action Man--perhaps they were for my birthday rather than for being in hospital. I do recall being wheeled on a trolley, presumably to the operating theatre. I recall seeing cobwebs on the ceiling of the corridors, but I presume I was way out of it on some pre-op medicine and the cobwebs were just hallucenations. I don't recall being with other children, so was possibly in a separate room due to being so young, but I don't know--it was definitely NHS.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
          I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed. Being so young, it is all rather vague. I can remember my mother being there a lot and she got me a couple of uniforms for my Action Man--perhaps they were for my birthday rather than for being in hospital. I do recall being wheeled on a trolley, presumably to the operating theatre. I recall seeing cobwebs on the ceiling of the corridors, but I presume I was way out of it on some pre-op medicine and the cobwebs were just hallucenations. I don't recall being with other children, so was possibly in a separate room due to being so young, but I don't know--it was definitely NHS.
          I had the sane experience at roughly the same age ..

I remember them giving my toast
          ( after a throat op !) followed by ice cream !

I never hear of anyone having their adenoids removed these days !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post
            Saw a newsclip the other day where the local pony club had been invited to bring along some ponies into the childrens hospital to give rides to the young patients around the corridors. Also the use of ride on cars to go down to theatre instead of the scary trolley beds, anything that makes hospital easier for kids is good imo
            I just cannot imagine any NHS staff to allow any sort of animals inside a hospital, be it large or small - it reminds me of that Casualty episode (from the mid to late 1990s) where an elderly lady who kept birds took them into the cubicle with her and they flew around the ward. Surely any animal inside a sterile place such as a hospital would not be allowed?
            Last edited by George 1978; 05-01-2019, 01:13.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
              I went into hospital on my 5th birthday to have my adenoids removed.
              I was just about to say that it isn't very nice to spend one's birthday in hospital and that I am glad that it had not happened to me, but thinking about it, I have spent my birthday in hospital - just like lots of people when they are born!
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                I just cannot imagine any NHS staff to allow any sort of animals inside a hospital, be it large or small - it reminds me of that Casualty episode (from the mid to late 1990s) where an elderly lady who kept birds took them into the cubicle with her and they flew around the ward. Surely any animal inside a sterile place such as a hospital would not be allowed?
                My thoughts also so i you tubed it and seems to be quite a common practice

Comment

It's interesting because it reminds me of someone bringing a dog into a hospital, and the receptionist at the desk being told to go to take the animal to a vet instead, understandably.

The problem is that some people love animals so much that they think that they have the same medical treatment as their human counterparts.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                    I was just about to say that it isn't very nice to spend one's birthday in hospital and that I am glad that it had not happened to me, but thinking about it, I have spent my birthday in hospital - just like lots of people when they are born!
                    Spent my 17th birthday in hospital with a collapsed lung, i had been to see AC/DC the night before and woke up the following morning with dreadful chest pains, never occured to me to ring an ambulance so i walked to the hospital in agony and a drain was put in my chest, next day i had a major op to repair the lung. The doctor said my headbanging antics had probably caused it to happen.

Comment

I was born in hospital of course, hence the fact that I have been in hospital on my birthday!

I have always wondered what it would have been like to stay in hospital over Christmas - my parents were given a handbook about a child's stay in hospital when I went in for my operation back in 1988, and on one of the pages it mentioned what happened on the wards at Christmas - I assume they had a doctor or porter as Father Christmas handing out presents to the children.

Ironically, my stay back in then was in June, and as it was still light outside the nurses tried to make sure that we got to sleep early as kids in the ward, even though the extra daylight in mid June made it difficult to do so.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Aged eleven early seventies, I was went to a residential children's psychiatric hospital, run by the then Lancashire Health Authority

I was given daily injections of Valium to sedate me & make me quiet & easy for the staff to deal with

Nowadays, Valium is strictly controlled for administration to both adults & children

During my stay, sedated by Valium, I was sexually abused by a member of staff

When we were naughty, we were subject to 'Pin Down' (now illegal)

'Pin Down involved being locked in a bare room, only wearing shorts

There was a mattress to sleep on & a bucket to urinate in

It was at night the member of staff came into the room

I was raped. Enough said

I had a friend Helen. She was raped by this member of staff too

I obeyed him implicitly. This meant he didn't rape Helen. We were close friends & I tried to protect her

Sadly she was found hanging from a tree. Obviously Helen had had enough
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Jeez Twocky thats a horrendous story, so sorry you and Helen went through that ordeal, i hope the ******* was brought to justice and that you have been able to move on enough to put it all behind you? Most of us will endure something horrible in our lives but this is particularly awful especially at such a young age, well done for sharing this.

Comment

Thanks Tex xx

We (well I) didn't say anything about it, so he subsequently got away with it

Last I heard he died of some medical condition; so poetic justice really
                            Last edited by Twocky61; 07-01-2019, 18:33.
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I have to say that I was shocked and sadden to read what happened to you as well, Twocky - no one deserves that sort of treatment. Do we really live in the same world where that sort of thing took place, even if it was the best part of half a century ago?

I have said this before about those who inflict physical punishment on people, and I am referring to those who ran private hospitals, boarding schools and children's homes around that time - we have heard about doctors, headmasters and principals being found guilty in the courts 30, 40 years or more after they had committed their crimes, and some of the young victims, although they were children at the time would be middle-aged now. Back then, we still had the "seen and not heard" factor where youngsters were not believed if they were telling the truth about someone attacking them physically or sexually, and any accusations were swept under the carpet. However, now we have a more open and transparent view towards things like that, and people talk about it as it is an important issue.

Need I say anything about Operation Yewtree and the implications with those in the entertainment industry? Celebrities think that they are above the law because the stereotype seemed to be back then that the famous get away with their crimes unlike ordinary members of the public - one rule for one group and the opposite for the other. Just like the famous, doctors, teachers, and so on think that as their are senior in comparison as they think that they cannot be overruled and as a result, they think that they can get away with doing anything to someone a lot younger and vulnerable then they are. At the end of the day, it stinks.

I was bullied at school and I found it difficult to tell people - I was assaulted walking home from school as well. What I am saying is that adults are more likely to believed than children simply because of the "fairy tale" factor of not being believed. What happened to me in the past had affected my way of life as an adult, including building relationships, so one could say that what I had to put up with also affected me in the long run - and abuse it just like that, only on a greater scale.

I was going to respond to Twocky's post as soon as I read it, but I decided to let someone else reply first - thank you Tex for responding first.
                              I'm having so much fun
                              My lucky number's one
                              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Thanks George

The BBC were implicit in Jimmy Saville's activities

The BBC actually commissioned & gave to Saville 'Jim'll Fix It' AFTER suspicions were raised

Another issue is Channel Four's Mini Pops, around they're start up November 1982

Mini Pops was similar to the BBC's Top of the Pops EXCEPT they were prepubescent children

These girls were dressed in sexually inappropriately & wearing explicit clothing, dancing like Madonna, to chart hits of the time

The then commissioning editor at the time cancelled the show after series one
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X