Six Million Dollar Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six Million Dollar Man

Six, as we affectionately know him, was so much more than an Action Man! The 12-inch tall Kenner toy figure certainly lived up to Lee Major's version of the character in the Six Million Dollar Man TV show. A red tracksuit was always going to be a dodgy choice of attire for any man trying to be taken seriously, but luckily for Six, there was more than enough to distract us. The most obvious of these was the magnifying lens eye, which in the TV show viewers got to see through from his point of view. Unfortunately, the toy was not quite as advanced and therefore the coloured bar-chart effect was missing, but we could imagine... The skin on the Six Million Dollar Man's arm could be rolled up for a gorey look inside his limb, which contained all manner of plastic fittings. And let's not forget the bionic grip, which could be kickstarted by pressing the clunky red button on the back of the toy figure. Best of all though, had to be the hole in the back of his head, which you got to peer into. Superb!If your parents were feeling particularly generous come Christmas time, you might even have been treated to a set of interchangeable limbs for Six. These consisted of a Laser Arm, which shot a red laser out, the Oxygen Supply Arm and a Sonic Neutraliser (no one really knew what that was, though). The Six Million Dollar Man's toy home was the Bionic Transport and Repair station - a thermos-flask like lump of plastic that opened up to reveal a bunch of moc computers which supposedly were for doing all kinds of very important tasks on. So, we usually left Six to it overnight.Six Million Dollar Man was never lonely for long, though, as all kinds of arch villains were released into the toy market. From Maskatron and his evasive faces to Bionic Bigfoot, a bizarre ape-robot hybrid. There was also an Oscar Goldman figure, complete with an exploding briefcase, much like James Bond's in From Russia With Love. With all this at your disposal, you could recreate selected scenes from your fave TV show. While the boys played with their Six Million Dollar Man figures, the girls got their own heroine in the shape of a Bionic Woman doll based on the Jamie Sommers TV character (played by Lindsey Wagner in the 80s). Who she was meant to fight off with her purse accessory is anyone's guess. But it must have been tough out there for the little lady, as toymakers deemed it necessary to release her own Bionic Beauty Salon, too. Was that really necessary? Yeah, like a hole in the head.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Six Million Dollar Man

nooooooo .............every girl needed the bionic beauty salon to go with their bionic woman

Comment

The older boy next door had a six million dollar man and much of the other stuff that could be obtained for it.It was the peel back rubber on the arms that I liked and the electronics(clear plastic bits)that used to drop out.Really cool stuff back then.I think most of us boys were keen on the tv program as well.Strange thing is nowdays when I think about how big six was in his day I find it hard to get any excitement from it now.Saying that I now have the theme tune ripping through my mind...aghhhhhhh!.

Comment

I still have my original Steve, Jaime, Oscar and Maskatron figures proudly displayed in a cabinet (along with the Lone Ranger andTonto and a dozen or so Mego and Action Man figures) but sadly, most of their outfits and accessories are long gone, and I never got Bigfoot or the Bionic Repair station. Rather alarmingly, I see that there's a Bigfoot figure for sale on ebay for £96, and a boxed Maskatron for £150!

Comment

Never knew they did figures of characters from the series.
          i sure do not remember seeing them in shops.

you must have these at least 3 decades mate.

you say sadly their outfits are gone is this because they wore out over time or they where not in the best nick when you got them.

check the linky

http://youtu.be/HofoK_QQxGc

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
          I still have my original Steve, Jaime, Oscar and Maskatron figures proudly displayed in a cabinet (along with the Lone Ranger andTonto and a dozen or so Mego and Action Man figures) but sadly, most of their outfits and accessories are long gone, and I never got Bigfoot or the Bionic Repair station. Rather alarmingly, I see that there's a Bigfoot figure for sale on ebay for £96, and a boxed Maskatron for £150!
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yup,thats the theme tune.The bit at the end.
            We can rebuild it..........whatever it was used to be a saying we used for school dinners which always looked as if they had been involved in some sort of accident,lol.
            All the six million man toys I remember are from the 70's.Think they had faded out by the 80's from the shops.I don't remember anything in the shops past the tail end of the 70's anyway.But then my interests had changed from toys to girls by then.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              Never knew they did figures of characters from the series.
              i sure do not remember seeing them in shops.

you must have these at least 3 decades mate.

you say sadly their outfits are gone is this because they wore out over time or they where not in the best nick when you got them.

check the linky

http://youtu.be/HofoK_QQxGc
              They were all brand new when they were bought for me, but the figures were subjected to so much rough play over the years that a lot of the outfits and accessories got lost or broken/ripped. Steve Austin is currently wearing the tattered remnants of his astronaut suit with no boots, while Oscar Goldman is dressed for the beach in just his (welded on) trunks and Steve's red top and trainers. Maskatron has considerately lent his sole remaining item of clothing, his shirt, to Jaime Sommers to wear as a mini-dress, otherwise she'd be totally nude!

Comment

Working...
              X