Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday teatime

Default Sunday teatime

We all had roast dinner on Sunday, but in my house we also had a Sunday teatime ritual too.

This was usually salmon and cucumber sandwiches, peaches and evaporated milk and battenburg cake.

Anyone else?

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Default Re: Sunday teatime

OMG Kaz! We had a Sunday teatime ritual too. It was from about 1969 through to the mid/late seventies. Family friends came round with their own contribution: cold meats, salad, etc., and combined them with stuff my parents had rustled up. I was usually watching TV; 'Catweazle' probably, and as the credits rolled, I was called to the table to get stuck in to the nosh. Then afterwards, we'd go back to the lounge to watch 'Doctor at Large', 'The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau', 'Jesus of Nazareth' and 'That's life'!

On Sunday teatime we'd always have cakes my grandmother baked for us during the day. They'd usually be sponge cakes or if we were lucky chocolate

On Saturday's I always used to go to my grans, she always had tea partys with all the old dears, would fill me with dread now, but was I loved it at the time
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

We used to alternate between sunday dinner at our and my Grans who lived 2 doors away. My long abiding memory of Sundays though was bath night. I used to be plonked in front of the gas fire in my blue plastic bath (my mums still got it) usually one of the Doctor series with Robin Nedwell was on (Doctor at large?) or Sunday night at the London Paladium was on tv at the time.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

I also remember Sunday teatime children's series on the BBC like Anne Of Green Gables. Taping the charts from the radio. Sunday Night At The London Palladium and of course laughing at rude veg and talking pets on That's Life! ( Remember Cyril Fletcher's Odd Odes?)

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Sunday teatime was always a roast and then if we where lucky an Arctic roll or Vienetta.
    It was also bath night ready for school and that's life before bed

We just usually had a sunday roast.

at sunday teatime we normally just had a fry up.
    Sometimes we even had different things each of us.

sometimes our gran would have left things down like cakes yes sponge ones yummy.

we normally had our main dinner at dinner time which was about half one in the afternoon.

We used to have a lot of fishpaste, such that anything redolent of school would be condemned as 'fishpaste' by me and my brother.

Remember for a good few years on a Sunday I went to my best friend's house or she came to mine on alternate weekends. We always split and went to our own houses for Sunday dinner about 1pm, but stayed together for tea.

My mam always laid on Pek chopped pork sandwiches and Cadburys fingers or mini rolls and had a bizarre ritual of serving us a cup of tea and a glass of pop together. I didn't even like tea then but I think I always drank it.
    1976 Vintage