Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swingers in the 70's...

Hi Guys,

I had a very interesting conversation with my sister the other day where she enlightened me to the fact that in the 70's, having pampas grass in your garden or in your house (usually in a vase on the bend in a staircase) was a kind of "sign" to visitors/passers by that the occupants of the house were swingers. Anybody else heard this or is she just winding me up?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	pampas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	264034
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
    sigpic

Re: Swingers in the 70's...

I've not heard of those, but it got be thinking of that episode of Life On Mars when Sam has to infiltrate a swinging party.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I've not heard of those, but it got be thinking of that episode of Life On Mars when Sam has to infiltrate a swinging party.
      I don't watch that. I find it quite disturbing though as my Aunt used to have pampas grass in HER house (used to stick to my clothes when I walked past it). Oh my god.... does that mean her car keys were regular visitors to the fruit bowl? Nooooooooooooo......
      "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        Reckon that this explains it Teej. A question misheard as fact.

We are talking about the seventies here after, the decade where subtlety took a long holiday.

Swingers would have been easy to spot - "Fancy a go on the old dear?" spoken in a Leslie Phillips stylee!

Cor, imagine the sound of car keys and that Teejay! Can you spell therapy?

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
          Hi Guys,
          ...in the 70's, having pampas grass in your garden or in your house was a kind of "sign" to visitors/passers by that the occupants of the house were swingers. Anybody else heard this or is she just winding me up?...
          I caught a reference to that, on a "gardening through the ages " or similar programmme on one of the freeview channels... which means it will be coming round again.
          The fruit trees, roses and lawn decade, the "growbag" decade the decking and makeover decade...

I reckon it's an urban miff.
          How about the older one of leaving a packet of a particular washing powder in the kitchen window as a message for the milkman.
          OMO = Old Man Out..?

Anyway, given the size of some of the pampas grass clusters down our way, some of them would have had to have been at it for quite a while.
          "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

So if you got some in your back garden does that mean you're a gay swinger?

Comment

ive heard that if u see an advert "Orange carpet for sell" on those card ads in shop windows, its a sign for other swingers to contact them

Comment

Swinging is not confined to the 70's and 80's, there are still a lot of them around today. There's even a Christian website called Liberated Christians which claims that non monogamous relationships and swinging is not necessarily wrong for Christians to take part in - just depends on where they are with their lives.

Comment

I thought you meant the swinging scene Teejay lol where everybody puts their car keys in a bowl & each person randomly picks up one of the keys. The owner of the keys you 'get together' lol

Similar in a way to the d***ing scene nowadays also known as c*****ing
                  sigpic
                  Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                  X