School Medicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Medicals

I remember the hearing test with the big red and blue headphones and the dentist who kept the little mirror in some milky coloured liquid that tasted disgusting. Nit nurse always came in September at the start of the school year and really yanked at your hair! I used to get bad cold sores as a kid - huge ones that went right over my chin and they always seemed to burst forth in the autumn when I had to see the nurse. She always looked alarmed when I tipped up with my annual scabby gob and scribbled down lots of notes, but nothing ever came of it.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Remember the drop and cough medicals at primary school in the mid 70's, plus the nit nurse, eye tests, hearing tests and dental examinations.

Comment

I remember the medicals very well. One when I was at primary school the nurse told me I looked like Virginia Wade. You What?! I was a kid and didn't look anything like her. The one when we were 13 or so, the nurse looked at me and said "you know you are not symmetrical?!" Well that did loads for my self esteem at that age. Ok she was right, I have Lumbar Scoliosis and that was the first time it was noticed, but for goodness sake there's ways of saying it! gggrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by pantherpink View Post
          I remember the medicals very well. One when I was at primary school the nurse told me I looked like Virginia Wade. You What?! I was a kid and didn't look anything like her. The one when we were 13 or so, the nurse looked at me and said "you know you are not symmetrical?!" Well that did loads for my self esteem at that age. Ok she was right, I have Lumbar Scoliosis and that was the first time it was noticed, but for goodness sake there's ways of saying it! gggrrrr.
          you looked like virginia wade when u where at primary school how did the nurse know what the REAL V W loked like when she was a kid.

i remember the medicals well through the seventies.

i bet they do not happen now.
          what with all this P.C rubbish.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Yes they do darren, children are regularly weighed and measured and they still have eye and ear tests! Also any injections that are required.
            Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
              I can't ever remember having a medical where you got your tackle inspected in school. Must have been phased out sometime in the late 70's/ early 80's.
              It was still happening in the eighties or at least at my school, I did have a school medical and the awful procedure of having my tackle checked by a female nurse and at 13 or whatever age I was, that was quite embarrassing!

The other main thing I remember having in the same room was my BCG jab and the preceding daisy prick which showed them whether you could have the BCG or not.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                It was still happening in the eighties or at least at my school, I did have a school medical and the awful procedure of having my tackle checked by a female nurse and at 13 or whatever age I was, that was quite embarrassing!

The other main thing I remember having in the same room was my BCG jab and the preceding daisy prick which showed them whether you could have the BCG or not.
                ----------------------------------------------
                i remember getting them in secondary in the mid eighties.
                we all dreaded it.
                there was this one girl who was heart afraid of needles.
                i remember getting my bits checked as well.
                at that age its embarrassing for sure.
                i went purple when it happened to me.
                i remember getting a booster boy was it sore.
                i still have the mark on the top of my arm where i got it.
                like a small lump.

Comment

I have just read so much here about school medicals, I started secondary school 1971 and left in 1976, and I don't remember any medicals, my husband is the sa
                  E age and he went to boys secondary school and they didn't happen there either.

Comment

What school did you go to or what part of the uk, I did not have medicals in my secondary school neither did my husband and that was a boys school, could you not have avoided the medical like hide somewhere or something,

Comment

it could just be random or perhaps certain areas in the uk did medicals and others did not.
                      it seems to me it was just a matter of luck whether or not you had school medicals.

kind of scary having a school medical especially if it was at primary school.

Originally posted by Ifonlyyouknew View Post
                      I have just read so much here about school medicals, I started secondary school 1971 and left in 1976, and I don't remember any medicals, my husband is the samE age and he went to boys secondary school and they didn't happen there either.

Comment

Only thing I remember was in primary 7 before we went to high school was an eye check, ear/hearing test and height and weight. Although I never understood why they would check eyes when someone wore glasses, as the school would say "oh your eyes are bad" well obviously if I have glasses lol.

This was in 1996.

Comment

Also our school had an actual dentist surgery in it.

Comment

Im about the same age I had a medical in school about the age of 4 I remember my mother having to strip me down to my knickers and the doctor examining my chest with the stethoscope and pressing on my belly after that it was when I was 8 didnt have to strip off for that, then I had one when I was 15 I had to undress down to my bra and tights the doctor listened to my chest then I slipped my tights down for him to press on my belly it was traumatising I must say it couldnt be helped but he could see I had pubic hair

my daughter is 14 and she had a medical in school last week I was there with her she was weighed and measured she had eye test and hearing test then the doctor examined her chest and checked her back and prodded her belly

Comment

We only had ears,eyes,nitty nora,and the odd jab or two.Primary was the early 70's,secondary late 70's early 80's.I think had they gone any further then that they would of had a school riot on their hands and possibly a parant or two.

Comment

I remember my school medical boys outside joking about showing you a dirty mag so you got aroused in front of the lady nurse and nurse hitting your erection with a spatula. Never got aroused and never got hit must be folk joking. The female nurse saying take down your trousers and pants I dropped my trousers and she said and your pants which I did and suddenly she squeezed my testicles I could feel the insides of my testicles as she squeeuzed but not the joke about coughing whatever that joke was about then she said dress yourself outside the room I remember checking my trousers were up probably got laughed at for that. That was mid 80s I think I was 14 or 15 at the time. A memory I hate.

Comment

Working...
                                X