Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Medicals

Default School Medicals

Well, I've done a thorough search of the forum and I can't find this topic discussed. Can't quite believe no one's brought it up. So here goes.

My first experience of this was in the sixties at about the age of six - so a bit outside the remit of DoYouRemember.

But in secondary school, at around 13 years old, medicals came around again. Class by class, boys in one room and girls in another, (I think we used unoccupied offices) everyone undressed and put on a dressing gown. The doctor then called us one by one into his room and examined us. I seem to recall that he looked at our eyes, ears and fingernails, before the dreaded request to drop our underwear.

It was all over quite quickly and in the playground later, everyone compared notes as to what the doctor had actually 'done' to them. I can't imagine why we were so fascinated to hear the accounts.

For some reason, school medicals seemed to be a really major thing back in the seventies. Were they memorable for anyone else?

Default Re: School Medicals

I can remember having hearing & sight tests, along with the nit nurse & dentist, but no closer examinations, at least as far as I can remember.

I can't ever remember having a medical where you got your tackle inspected in school. Must have been phased out sometime in the late 70's/ early 80's.
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Mm, well the one I referred to would have been around 1975 so yeah, maybe the more intimate variety just got phased out.

Hey. I forecast a very short thread!

I had one mid 70s - cough and drop ! They weighed you as I recall as well ...

I'm about the same age as you MB and the boys never mentioned any such thorough examinations!

Being a girl I'm pleased to say we certainly had nothing too traumatising happen.

'Dreams come true if you want them to'

From the people that brought you memories of white dog poo and Caramac, comes...

Hand moving in - Cough!

Just what was the point in turning your head? If the doctor had a problem with physical contact, maybe he should have found a job that didn't involve grabbing the old hanging basket of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Boy View Post
    Mm, well the one I referred to would have been around 1975 so yeah, maybe the more intimate variety just got phased out.

Hey. I forecast a very short thread!
    yeh, I was 9yrs old in 1975, and I don't remember the 'cough please' examination..but then again they wouldn't have 'dropped' by then I suppose

Splitters!

Visit us here:
    http://www.doyouremember.co.uk/

Lol! Just for the record, at these medicals (about 6 and 13 years old), I wasn't asked to cough. It was more of a quick look, though other friends claimed to have had a prod. Not nice.

I remember the ol' cough and drop examination. As the lads in front of you came out of the examination room they'd tell you that the nurse/ doctor doing it was " a right cracker" then your teenage mind would get working with the obvious result in the trouser department!!!!!!!!
    Only to find when you walked in that she was about 70 and looked like the back of a bus!!!!!
    Thankfully all the....erm.....enthusiasm that you'd built up drained away instantly