Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School Medicals

Default Re: School Medicals

Cos of lining up in alphabetical order I always ended up behind the class scruff who gave every appearance of regularly wiping his backside on all areas of his underpants and maybe waving them at the washing machine once every six months - was he bothered? no chance!

Weird thing is he's a medic himself now and I had a work physical not too long ago from him - thankfully no 'cough please'

I remember them well in the early 1970s. We had them at about 14 and again at 16. Your parents were invited too. About 3 ladas at a time were called out of class to sit outside the medical room. Inside one lad was getting undressed down to underpants behind a screen while the other was being examined.

The Dr always seemed to be an old man but without fail you would have to pull your pants down whilst he had a good feel of the balls and also pulled the foreskin back in boys that were not circumcised. Spent ages looking at your feet too.

Think they were abolished as part of Thatcher's cost cutting excercises!
    Last edited by Yorkieuk; 22-10-2009 at 15:00. Reason: spelling

So Thatcher wasn't all bad then.
    Last edited by sixtyten; 22-10-2009 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Cos of lining up in alphabetical order I always ended up behind the class scruff who gave every appearance of regularly wiping his backside on all areas of his underpants and maybe waving them at the washing machine once every six months - was he bothered? no chance!

Weird thing is he's a medic himself now and I had a work physical not too long ago from him - thankfully no 'cough please'
    Did he have the same pants on?
    "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."

ROFLMAO

No Teejay - maybe he had the same undies but I didn't like to ask

I remember the hearing test with the big red and blue headphones and the dentist who kept the little mirror in some milky coloured liquid that tasted disgusting. Nit nurse always came in September at the start of the school year and really yanked at your hair! I used to get bad cold sores as a kid - huge ones that went right over my chin and they always seemed to burst forth in the autumn when I had to see the nurse. She always looked alarmed when I tipped up with my annual scabby gob and scribbled down lots of notes, but nothing ever came of it.

Remember the drop and cough medicals at primary school in the mid 70's, plus the nit nurse, eye tests, hearing tests and dental examinations.

I remember the medicals very well. One when I was at primary school the nurse told me I looked like Virginia Wade. You What?! I was a kid and didn't look anything like her. The one when we were 13 or so, the nurse looked at me and said "you know you are not symmetrical?!" Well that did loads for my self esteem at that age. Ok she was right, I have Lumbar Scoliosis and that was the first time it was noticed, but for goodness sake there's ways of saying it! gggrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherpink View Post
    I remember the medicals very well. One when I was at primary school the nurse told me I looked like Virginia Wade. You What?! I was a kid and didn't look anything like her. The one when we were 13 or so, the nurse looked at me and said "you know you are not symmetrical?!" Well that did loads for my self esteem at that age. Ok she was right, I have Lumbar Scoliosis and that was the first time it was noticed, but for goodness sake there's ways of saying it! gggrrrr.
    you looked like virginia wade when u where at primary school how did the nurse know what the REAL V W loked like when she was a kid.

i remember the medicals well through the seventies.

i bet they do not happen now.
    what with all this P.C rubbish.

10. Default Re: School Medicals

Yes they do darren, children are regularly weighed and measured and they still have eye and ear tests! Also any injections that are required.