No announcement yet.

Can you solve the Fruit Gums secret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you solve the Fruit Gums secret?

Originally posted by sarcymarky View Post
    In the first poster, bottom right square, the flowers to the left of the old geezer look like a 9 ??
    I think its a Q, not a 9..look at the way the lower two flowers are placed.

From that, you COULD make the case for 'Kew Gardens' (I know the real one isn't in HP postcode area -Hemel Hempstead-but it fits the picture.

waddya reckon ?
    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

ooh yeh ...Hemel Hempstead is in Herts, and the girl in poster 3 is wearing a bracelet full 'of hearts, so that must be the last 2 lines (the county) we have

ie

Herts
      HP73 5FG
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

ok using logic....towns in Herts include STEVENAGE

re 1st poster...emmettman mentions the 4 ages of man, but as Shakespeare's version states, there are SEVEN ages of man. That fits with the number 7 formed by the birds, and the man ageing in each picture

so..STEVENAGE has to be right..you just lose the 'T' somehow

? name
        ? house number & street
        Stevenage
        Herts
        HP73 5FG
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Blimming heck I thought this was aimed at kids!!!!
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam
            ok using logic....towns in Herts include STEVENAGE

re 1st poster...emmettman mentions the 4 ages of man, but as Shakespeare's version states, there are SEVEN ages of man. That fits with the number 7 formed by the birds, and the man ageing in each picture

so..STEVENAGE has to be right..you just lose the 'T' somehow

? name
            ? house number & street
            Stevenage
            Herts
            HP73 5FG
            I'd have thought that if you were going for a town in the Hemel Hempstead post area you go for, er, Hemel Hempstead

Originally posted by rossobantam
            I think its a Q, not a 9..look at the way the lower two flowers are placed.

From that, you COULD make the case for 'Kew Gardens' (I know the real one isn't in HP postcode area -Hemel Hempstead-but it fits the picture.

waddya reckon ?
            Erm...

Originally posted by Danny
            Final poster

See that girl ; ( goes into rap-speak) 'She a Ho'

See that poster ; those are seasons

HoSeasons? ---Well they did do holidays in eighties
            Hmm...

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald
            Are they the australian version then?
            They have dual citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearmint View Post
              I'd have thought that if you were going for a town in the Hemel Hempstead post area you go for, er, Hemel Hempstead
              I guess HP73 means its a longgggg way out of town (I notice it doesn't exist, not nowadays anyhow)

Presumably the address was 'semi-real', and the Royal Mail were consulted/aware, a bit like sending letters to "Santa, The North Pole"
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

That's what I'd have thought . Or maybe the postcode area simply doesn't exist any more. I can't remember in what way, or even if, postcodes have changed in the last 25 or so years.

So how about this so far...

79 Cherry Tree Lane
                Hemel Hempstead
                Herts
                HP73 5FG

Still stuck on name and not sure about the house number. Or the street name either cos that lane doesn't look exactly choc full of addresses.
                Of course, if the address never existed, no amount of googling will help

Comment

ah but you try making 'Hemel Hempstead' from any of the 3 posters though

Seven Ages ---------- Stevenage...surely too much of a coincidence NOT to be right?
                  sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

So glad someone else remembers this. Spent ages with my dad and brother trying to crack this back in 1982. Annoyingly, we had two copies of each the posters (one from 2000ad, one from Buster/Jackpot). Would kill to have copies of them around still - they're nice bits of art in their own right - very Roger Hargreaves in style.

Anyway, can't remember what, if anything, we cracked in 1982, but looking back on the posters now the badge - 'I Like Them' could well be the name part.

'Keith Lime' would fit into the fruity theme.

The postcode's clearly there already. And the tree lined road on the picture suggests 'Avenue'.

I like the Herts/heart bracelet bit too.

After Googling this looks like the only reference to the competition on the net. Perhaps no-one ever solved the thing...

Comment

A friend has just pointed out that the letters inside the fingers on the packets spell out TRING - which is in Herts.

So how about:

Keith Lime
                      79 _______ Avenue
                      Tring
                      Herts
                      HP73 5FG

(although Tring is actually in HP23...)

Tempted to say something along the lines of Cherry Tree Avenue, as there are clearly fruit in the trees and it's a fruity competition, but this isn't definite enough.

Comment

hello & welcome OC!

how this was meant for KIDS I don't know! I've check my old issues of Battle comic and I've removed the posters (one each in July, Aug & Sept 1982) although I don't remember entering the competition

I also picked up on 'I like them'...just sounds kinda out of place?

The fruit tree (Avenue must be correct) is tricky as you'd have to take a guess WHICH fruit? (Most likely apples? colour fits...most common fruit tree?)

I still think the 7 ages of man is relevant...number 7 is there, the man ages in stages (there ARE 7 in reality,not just the 4 shown!)

I don't see how your friend got Tring from the letters..covered or uncovered there are lots of letters, and so lots of combos! One little thing I ntoiced..one the 3rd picture there is a letter 'N' on the packet she's holding...why?

I am desperate to track down replacement issues of Battle late 82-early 83 as they normally published comp winners lists 2-4 months max after it ended

Dave
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

'Tring' comes from the letters on the tubes that fall BETWEEN the characters' fingers.

In order, from the first poster to the third this gives you:

'T' (ignore the 'Fru' as these fall to the left of the fingers)
                          'RI' (ignore the half an 'M' and 'S' as these fall to the right)
                          'N' and 'G' (ignore the 'F' and half 'S' as these fall to the left and right of the fingers)

It must be significant as
                          • the fingers are in such awkward positions
                          • there's no 'N' in Fruit Gums (as has been pointed out before)
                          • those half letters would have been full letters if significant, surely?

Interesting what you're saying about competition winners being published in the comics that the poster appeared in. I'd forgotten about that. I wonder if 2000AD would have published similar.

Unfortunately, all the old back issues of 2000AD that were in my parents' loft were recently cleared out.

Rowntree Mackintosh are no more, and it seems unlikely that someone at Nestle is going to trawl through old competition documentation to answer a question on an internet forum!

I quite like the notion that it will never be cracked though, like one of the ancient mysteries it will eventually die with its creators...

Comment

ah I see now...yes that looks very plausible, well done to your friend!

I would love to know the answer ..no, I NEED to know the answer

Dave
                            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I remember this! - spent ages trying to solve it as a kid! - I did enter but I think I got it wrong as I never heard anything - I will have a think about it. I think it was pitched way to difficult for children.

Does anyone remember the Walker's crisps Treasure Trail competition which was around the same time and was equallly difficult to solve!

Comment

could the name be Phil Wright - the plant looks like a Philodendron in the second poster (sweetheart vine) - another refernce to Herts? Wright bros. from the aircraft?

Comment

Working...
                                X