'Grandstand' or 'World of Sport'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Grandstand' or 'World of Sport'?

Was World of Sport in our house with Dickie Davis.............i remember the tickatape footy results and guessing the result by the tone of the voice

Comment

It's got to be World of Sport. The wrestling, the funny 'S' logo and Dickie Davies with his white fleck of hair.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Wasn't really that choice but 'On the ball' or 'Football focus'. Our house was On the ball but the rest was a flick to and fro, till the end of the horse racing or wrestling and play away would appear on BBC2 before the final scores came in.

Loved World of sports weirdness though of getting in anything that was cheap to fill time, the superbowl covered in 15mins, a weeks worth of the tour de france in 20mins, cliff diving from Hawaii and the wrestling which I hated.

Comment

Didn't like either as a kid. We had a black and white tv back then and I often felt that Des Lynam was simply a negative in reverse of Dickie Davies as the sets were very similar - desk, telephone, rows of typists doing who knows what behind them...

We did sometimes watch the footie results for the pools Mum and Dad had entered sometimes on Grandstand with that heavy breathy voiced man doing them as the score draws appeared live on screen - I used to think he had smelly breath breathing into his microphone...lol.

Comment

World of sport with Dickie Davis that brings back memories with the 4 o'clock wrestling.(I have the best of itv wrestling on dvd)The wrestling toured they came to a venue just around the corner from me it ost a mind blowing £4 LOL..But all the regulars where there Big Daddy ,Giant Haystacks etc...1992 i think that was?
            sigpic

Comment

Parents would be doing the saturday shop whilst my brother and sisters and I would watch the ITV seven horse races. We'd make our own selections and put 10p in the pot for each race. Whoever had the most points won the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by memoman View Post
                World of sport with Dickie Davis that brings back memories with the 4 o'clock wrestling.(I have the best of itv wrestling on dvd)The wrestling toured they came to a venue just around the corner from me it ost a mind blowing £4 LOL..But all the regulars where there Big Daddy ,Giant Haystacks etc...1992 i think that was?

Just 4 quid rto watchgthem all.
                How long did the wrestling last and did you meet any of them.

Thing was with world of sport they did the more unusual obscure sports thats so much why i liked it.
                Was a sad day it finished.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                X