Mike Holoway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Holoway

This guy was very much part of my growing up. He became famous in the mid seventies for two things. Firstly as the drummer in Flintlock, a band who had a number of hits and appeared on 'Top of the Pops'. They were also regulars on shows like 'You Must Be Joking' and 'Pauline's Quirks'

From there, he took the part of Mike Bell in 'The Tomorrow People' and stayed for three years.

He later became a big musical theatre star, and in 1985, played the lead in the Bill Kenwright production of 'Joseph and the Amazing Techniclour Dreamcoat', starting out in the West End and then touring the country for about three years. I still think Mike is the best Joseph I've seen. He really does have an exceptional voice.

Anyone else remember Mike?

Re: Mike Holoway

I can't say I recall him from 'Tomorrow People', but I only ever saw the last series of it. The only person I can remember out of Flintlock was the lead singer, who I believe was called Derek Pascoe.
    I can remember seeing some programme of Flintlock with this pug ugly girl presenter, who must have been Pauline Quirke!
    I imagine they were a 'manufactured' group as I can't recall any songs by them, just lots of piccies in 'Look-In'.

Comment

Originally posted by Quetelet View Post
      I can't say I recall him from 'Tomorrow People', but I only ever saw the last series of it. The only person I can remember out of Flintlock was the lead singer, who I believe was called Derek Pascoe.
      I can remember seeing some programme of Flintlock with this pug ugly girl presenter, who must have been Pauline Quirke!
      I imagine they were a 'manufactured' group as I can't recall any songs by them, just lots of piccies in 'Look-In'.
      Hi Quetelet. I don't think Flintlock were manufactured in the way some bands were and indeed 'are'. I think maybe they were just a little bit out of step with what was going on around them at the time, so never had mega success. They seemed to be mostly restricted to childrens shows and, as you say, magazines like Look-In. However I'm happy to be proved wrong if anyone knows different.

Comment

I remember Mike Holloway and Flintlock very well.

I used to swoon over him on Pauline's Quirks and posters in Jackie and the like. Most young girls did at the time. He was gorgeous!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Bloody Flintlock - my sisters were really into them and had some of the singles - continually playing upstairs Grrrr!

Comment

Marnie Boy
            i remember Mike Holoway and Flintlock
            didnt they have a show called Flintlock?
            i remember them singing the beatles "shes leaving home"

on one of the Tomorrow peoples DVDs theres a very interesting commentary by the cast. i am pretty sure Mike is on that.

Derek Pascoe now lives in Adelaide
            Derek Pascoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
              Marnie Boy
              i remember Mike Holoway and Flintlock
              didnt they have a show called Flintlock?
              i remember them singing the beatles "shes leaving home"

on one of the Tomorrow peoples DVDs theres a very interesting commentary by the cast. i am pretty sure Mike is on that.....
              It's a while since I looked at my Tomorrow People DVDs but yes, I think he did a number of the commentaries.

(I recall a scene where he's lying down in the TP's lab dressed only in a pair of underpants. Mike's reaction during the commentary on seeing his 15(?) year old self, is priceless!)

Comment

Re: Mike Holoway and Flintlock

I remember Flintock very well. In fact I discovered this site/discussion because I decided to search t'internet for items on Flintlock.
                They were somewhat a manufactutred group -I recall that most of the teenagers appearing on the shows such as Pauline's Quirkes were from a single stage school, including Flintlock (I think Linda Robson was appearing with her also). Mike Holoway impressed as a veery accomplished drummer, and I often wondered what happened to him.
                I recall his roles in Tomorrows People, but I noticed that often they managed to work a scene into the story involving Mike playing his drums -it always felt contrived to me.
                Flintlock impressed me (a 14 yr old devoted to Deep Purple and Eric Clapton) as technically quite good musicians (especially Mike), but no real "spark" as a group. And if the performed Rocky Mountain Way once, they must have performed it a hundred times. Surprisingly, I do not ever remember seeing them on TOTP, but the clip is there on YouTube, so it definitely happened.
                I have often wondered what happened to the members of Flintlock, and this has been an interesting trip down memory lane.

Comment

I saw Mike Holoway in Panto at The Birmingham Hippodrome about 15 years ago.
                  He played the Male lead in Babes in the Wood.
                  Very competent singer and a dashing hero!

As for Flintlock - I can recall a blonde haired singer who looked like a horse! They materialised around the same time Punk-Rock was kicking in...They didn't stand a chance - poor boys!
                  I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

well this is the link that made me register...the blonde guy who looked like a horse...as mentioned previously....i believe that he actually sung on episodes of paulines qwirks.....i was trying to find this song ..its bugged me for years.....corus line is "rushmore road"...it was definately sung buy horse man[it was a long time ago]...some other lines in the song where "in the city..inthe heart of the city"....I HAVE ACTUALLY GOT ALL FOUR ALBUMS AND SOME SINGLES OF FLINTLOCKS ...but it aint on there...
                    it seem si may have found the right people to ask

hope you can help as one older ish person to another

Comment

Working...
                    X