Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember "Adventure" -simple smiley face exploring labyrinth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember "Adventure" -simple smiley face exploring labyrinth?

Hi, really interested in finding out more about this game called ADVENTURE, would love to play it again. It was a really simple, basic game made up of only a smiley face , the walls of the labyrinth and letters representing enemies.

Character was a very simple smiley face (like the one that MS word has) and you explored a labarynth, the walls of which would only appear if you got close to them, otherwise they were invisible and your objective was to find the door/stairs to the next level. To hinder progress, your enemies included snakes, monsters and vampires represented by simple letters (e.g. an "S" was a snake). You attacked them by pressing the space bar. I think you could also drink potions which would give you special powers. When you died it showed you your tomb in bad 80s graphics which also told you what monster killed you.

I used to play this on my dad's pc in the late 80s, monochrome, before space/ police quest etc came out.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: Remember "Adventure" -simple smiley face exploring labyrinth?

When I first had a PC I had a similar game called Kingdon of Kroz, I remember the explorer had to collect diamonds & could use a whip to knock down walls & kill monsters.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by ck399 View Post
      Hi, really interested in finding out more about this game called ADVENTURE, would love to play it again. It was a really simple, basic game made up of only a smiley face , the walls of the labyrinth and letters representing enemies.

Character was a very simple smiley face (like the one that MS word has) and you explored a labarynth, the walls of which would only appear if you got close to them, otherwise they were invisible and your objective was to find the door/stairs to the next level. To hinder progress, your enemies included snakes, monsters and vampires represented by simple letters (e.g. an "S" was a snake). You attacked them by pressing the space bar. I think you could also drink potions which would give you special powers. When you died it showed you your tomb in bad 80s graphics which also told you what monster killed you.

I used to play this on my dad's pc in the late 80s, monochrome, before space/ police quest etc came out.

Any help would be appreciated
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_(Atari_2600)

Could it be a conversion of this game? It doesn't state that it was converted to PC, but given Atari's financial track record, it could well have received a DOS port (or rip off from another company).

I think a lot of PC fans today would be quite startled by the state of the leisure PC industry in the 80s - I miss those days actually as a gadget nut.

Comment

Ah, Adventure. A brilliant game in its day. This was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post - I guess it could have been a PC interpretation. Certainly going through a maze, only seeing a small area around you features in it - I remember a bridge you could pick up and use to cross walls. The foes were dragons though, not vampires or snakes.
        I've still got my 2600 with a bunch of cartridges, but I can't find Advanture
        Still, there's always Stella.

Comment

Adventure for the Atari 2600

Tap this site up and you can maybe have another bash at it.

Also includes a powerpoint presentation that goes into the nitty gritty (how much memory it used and so on).

Fancy nearly losing your job for putting your name on your work.

Comment

Working...
          X