Tetris 25 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tetris 25 years

Tetris is celebrating its 25th year, who's of thought it?? 25 years!! geez I feel old.
    Heather

Re: Tetris 25 years

I hate to think of how much time I've spent playing it!

As far as I know, only Donkey Kong had a tougher time reaching Western shelves. And its creator came very close to not getting any credit, since his employers wanted to claim it for the whole organisation.

Comment

Yes, I was playing Tetris when it came out. (for many, many hours.)
      And Space Invaders.
      And the Rubik Cube...

It all marks you as old.
      "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
        I hate to think of how much time I've spent playing it!

As far as I know, only Donkey Kong had a tougher time reaching Western shelves. And its creator came very close to not getting any credit, since his employers wanted to claim it for the whole organisation.
        There was also a problem that the Studio that made King Kong claimed it was a rip-off, & wanted a share of the profits.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          There was also a problem that the Studio that made King Kong claimed it was a rip-off, & wanted a share of the profits.
          That was the major bit I was referring to (only now am I remembering the rather small scale operation that Nintendo of America was when it started).

It's one of my favourite behind the scenes stories - MCA, as you state, were after the profits - they had already bullied other companies that were doing deals on Donkey Kong into handing over money. Howard Lincoln asks the boss to trust him and go along with whatever he says, just before a meeting with MCA lawyers. When they asked what the compensation would be, Lincoln told them that they would get nothing, and he just wanted to say it to their faces. Case goes to court.

Only for Lincoln to pull out a prior court case involving RKO vs MCA over the King Kong remake...

Where MCA had successully proven that King Kong was in the public domain.

Pajitnov, on the other hand, nearly lost Tetris because his bureau wanted to grab his work (done on his own dime) as their own. If it hadn't been for the software co rep's actually giving a damn about his work, who knows what would have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
            That was the major bit I was referring to (only now am I remembering the rather small scale operation that Nintendo of America was when it started).

It's one of my favourite behind the scenes stories - MCA, as you state, were after the profits - they had already bullied other companies that were doing deals on Donkey Kong into handing over money. Howard Lincoln asks the boss to trust him and go along with whatever he says, just before a meeting with MCA lawyers. When they asked what the compensation would be, Lincoln told them that they would get nothing, and he just wanted to say it to their faces. Case goes to court.

Only for Lincoln to pull out a prior court case involving RKO vs MCA over the King Kong remake...

Where MCA had successully proven that King Kong was in the public domain.

Pajitnov, on the other hand, nearly lost Tetris because his bureau wanted to grab his work (done on his own dime) as their own. If it hadn't been for the software co rep's actually giving a damn about his work, who knows what would have happened.
            Thanks for reminding me, Coleco also were involved with the case as they had done a deal with Nintendo to port Donkey Kong onto the Colecovision, as they felt it needed a big name game to sell it. When the MCA action came up they panicked & paid out, but then claimed it back when the case with Nintendo (who decided to fight it in court) was thrown out.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Interview with the creator:

Interview: Alexei Pajitnov, creator of Tetris

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                Tetris is celebrating its 25th year, who's of thought it?? 25 years!! geez I feel old.
                you are still a spring chicken heather.

here us the original tetris.
                never knew it looked like this.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0gAgQQHFcQ
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I never knew Tetris was that old. I first discovered it on my first long-haul flight 11 years ago. Incidentally it was the first transatlantic commercial flight of a Boeing 777 so we boarded to a chorus of an American 'jazz band' trumpets and got a free badge. On board the shiny new plane there was Tetris on the back-of-seat tellys. I was in awe of everything!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I imagine the Tetris 25th Birthday cake will be in layers!

Do you remember the 'Tetris' song by Dr. Spin that got into the charts in the early '90s? It was about the same time as the 'SuperMarioLand' song by the Ambassadors Of Funk.
                    "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Working...
                    X