Upcoming 80's movie reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming 80's movie reboots

I just had a bit of a browse on the MSN homepage and came across an article about some 80's movie remakes/reboots in the pipeline. Scheduled for release over the next few years are:

Tron 2
    Ghostbusters 3
    Beverly Hills Cop 4
    RoboCop 4
    Rambo 5
    Superman: Unleashed
    The Goonies 2
    Mad Max 4
    Terminator 5 (Follow-up to Salvation)
    The Untouchables
    Universal Soldier 3
    The A Team

I have also heard rumours of a movie based on the Thundercats cartoon and the Pac-Man computer game if you can believe that! I'm not really an 80's kid myself so I thought it would be interesting to hear others opinions on these proposed films. Which could work?, which films should they not bother with and are there any others you would like to see?

From that list I'd be interested in seeing Beverly Hills Cop 4 (Can't be worse than the third one) and of course, Ghostbusters 3.

Re: Upcoming 80's movie reboots

Goonies ONLY if Chunk and Sloth are in it *EDIT* arrrgh no Sloth..he died in 1989

**EDIT X 2..whilst googling the Goonie cast I was gobsmacked .....I NEVER knew Mikey (the lead kid in the Goonies) was the fella who played Samwise Gamgee (Frodo's travelling companion in the Lord of the Rings three movies) . Now I look at him of course its obvious!!

Tron2 could be interesting

Mad Max yeh!!

BUT

The Untouchables...no way, leave untouched; do not spoil the memory of an utterly fantastic film (the scene at the end on the station staircase is unforgettable)
    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Universal soldier 3 will be interesting, especially as they've already made 4. Add to the list Total recall. "Conseeder dat a divorce"
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I'm still interested to see how they will be handling the new Ghostbusters in terms of cast/characters. Right now it looks as though the original gang are coming back but I wonder if they will be the main focus or if it will be a case of the originals putting together a group of new, younger Ghostbusters.

I was a fan of the original Universal Soldier and must admit that for all his awful movies I find Van Damme an interesting bloke. I take it the new Universal Soldier will be a big-budget affair and not the straight-to-DVD stuff we usually get from Van Damme.

Branny, I think we could fill a whole thread with some of the awful lines the likes of Arnie and Van Damme have come out with in their films! One of my favourites was by Van Damme in Street Fighter - "BISON! Look at me you sick sunofabeech!"

Comment

I really hope that Tron 2 will hit soon - the original is much maligned. Jeff Bridges is definitely involved, but that's as much as I have heard. The trailer looked cool when it was shown as Comic Con last year.

Ghostbusters 3 appears to be going along with the 'new generation' idea - influenced by the game apparently.

Rambo 5 could be a blast - I found the last one to be very good, with Stallone having the nerve to make the violence grotesque enough to achieve what he wanted.

Not sure what I think of Universal Soldier 3, although I do know that I'll be watching it. Van Damme has pulled off some good movies (shame Timecop didn't kick off a franchise for him), with JCVD being an absolute belter of a film.

I thought Robocop was a remake - have to say that I fail to see the point. Robocop is as effective now as it was back then.

And as to the prospect of an A-Team movie, I really don't know what I think of that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
            Not sure what I think of Universal Soldier 3, although I do know that I'll be watching it. Van Damme has pulled off some good movies (shame Timecop didn't kick off a franchise for him), with JCVD being an absolute belter of a film.
            I totally agree with you on JCVD, I thought the scene where he speaks openly and honestly to the camera about his life and career was brilliant, very moving. The only thing I'm interested in as far as the A-Team goes is who will be playing Mr T!

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
              I totally agree with you on JCVD, I thought the scene where he speaks openly and honestly to the camera about his life and career was brilliant, very moving. The only thing I'm interested in as far as the A-Team goes is who will be playing Mr T!

Should be Ving Rhames or Michael Clarke Duncan.

Although Hollywood may choose to go with Chris Tucker...

Comment

Rumour has it that Liam Neeson is in talks to play Hannibal.

Sweet. Taken rocked.

Comment

Having been quite disappointed by Terminator 3 and now Terminator 4, I really don't need a 5. I'm intrigued by the idea of a Mad Max 4, though. Also, there is apparently a film based on The Sweeney in the pipeline starring the great Ray Winstone as Regan. Please don't let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                    Should be Ving Rhames or Michael Clarke Duncan.

Although Hollywood may choose to go with Chris Tucker...

Allow me to make you shudder: what are the chances of the Hollywood money men wanting Murdock to be played by Jim Carrey?

Comment

Originally posted by curmudgeon View Post
                      Having been quite disappointed by Terminator 3 and now Terminator 4, I really don't need a 5. I'm intrigued by the idea of a Mad Max 4, though. Also, there is apparently a film based on The Sweeney in the pipeline starring the great Ray Winstone as Regan. Please don't let me down.

The Sweeney is being remade.

The Sweeney (2010)

This list of Palazzo's sounds great for you lads!

I will look forward to most of them myself though, especially Ghostbusters 3 and Beverly Hills Cop 4.
                      sigpic
                      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Robin Williams would worry me more 'yes I said it in Mork and Mindy but it's still funny'.

BA could be Common (currently in Terminator Salvation). Big, but Mr T looked big next to his co-stars. Liam Neeson is enormous - needs someone BIG to play a muscle-bound type next to him.

Sticking with Terminator casting - can't wait to see Sam Worthington in the Clash of the Titans remake.

Comment

I don't know much about the A-Team if I'm honest but I think Liam Neeson will be great in the remake. I think the reaction to his casting has been very mixed so far but I think this one will work out very well indeed.

As for the Jim Carrey idea, I hope he is nowhere near this A-Team remake....hopefully he'll be wanted for another Ace Ventura!

A couple more movies apparently in the pipeline to add to the list:

Thundercats
                          Bill and Ted (Currently untitled)
                          Alien (Prequel)
                          Flight of the Navigator
                          Masters of The Universe
                          Nightmare on Elm Street
                          Coming to America

I know this one isn't 1980's but I read a rumour that a studio is interested in remaking Drop Dead Fred which originally featured Rik Mayall. The name most likely to replace him in the remake is Russell Brand....

Comment

The other big rumour is that Robert Rodriguez is dusting off his Predators script. Certainly interested in that one.

Unless they're bringing back Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves I can't see a new Bill and Ted working.

Comment

Yeah, I'm willing to bet this Bill and Ted movie will be straight to DVD rubbish. Alex Winter jokingly said he'd probably be up for a third film but his vision was that Bill and Ted would be a couple of old grandads! I really couldn't see Keanu doing anything Bill & Ted related ever again, add into the fact George Carlin passed away and there doesn't seem to be much point.

I actually watched Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey the other night and I was still entertained by it, whether the characters would still stand up today I'm really not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X