Casio VL-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casio VL-5

I never see anything written about this keyboard - I must have the only one in existence. Basically, it is a Casio VL-1 with an extended keyboard (but the same little buttons), and a 4 note polyphonic capability. Its main gimmick was a barcode reader pen which plugged into the unit; with a lot of patience you could scan into memory entire songs from the songbook provided, but the reader was so hit and miss that most people gave up on it. You also lost the ADSR function of the VL-1, but the unit did come with a number of preset sounds and rhythms.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Casio VL-5

Casio VL-Tone VL-5

Never fear - you're not alone!

miniorgan : library

Found this site a while back whilst looking to see if I could find piccies of something I used to have.

ONLY THE BEE GEES RHYTHM MACHINE!

Now that was a keyboard...

Comment

no mention of this elsewhere, so here's as good a place as any to post this piccie:

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I loved the VL-5. Polyphony was a real joy after the monophonic absurdity of the VLT-1. The barcode scanner was a complete waste of time, though. If it were able to utilise barcode off beans tins, and then use some sort of ADSR function as a mini-synth, that would be so cool. I had both. I also had the VL-10, which was silver metal, thin and beautifully designed. I will say, though, that the VL-5 drums were rubbish compared with the VLT-1.
        "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I can't remember the Yamaha model my family had, but it had a microphone so you could do basic sound sampling. I found it hard to play because the notes stopped as soon as you released the keys, with no echo at all.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
            Looking to see if I could find piccies of something I used to have.
            Why needs pictures when you can have video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwIOsrVXy8s

Kraftwerk used one for the 1981 Computerworld LP.
            "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              I can't remember the Yamaha model my family had, but it had a microphone so you could do basic sound sampling. I found it hard to play because the notes stopped as soon as you released the keys, with no echo at all.
              Sounds like one of the Yamaha VSS series. Notes stopping after releasing the keys would be down to the ADSR section

Comment

Managed to find my old Casio keyboard, I believe this was the model used by The Human League on their version of Roy Budd's "Get Carter" theme (from the Dare album).

I don't think I still have the original mains adaptor for this... which of course may be a good thing!

Ed

Comment

The song Da Da Da featured a VL-1. I had a go on one of them but didn't have a clue about what I was doing and probably couldn't now. But ironically, the closest I've got to ne now's a USB M-audio Keystaion 32 Mini keyboard from Clas Ohson (fourty fie quid with free dowloadable software) and there's also Magix Musc Maker 2013's keyboard facility which lets you use the computer's keyboard like an instrumental keyboard (headphones advised).
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

I remember having a VL5 in about 82-3. When I put it through my guitar amp it sounded pretty good tbh.

Comment

Working...
                    X