Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When toy guns were fine...

Originally posted by Heather74 View Post
    HI BMS, I'm thinking Sport Trainer ? http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=toy...40%3B800%3B354

Some good pictures and description http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-60...item1c33f56211
    Wow, amazing, thanks for the links too, that was the thing for sure, I'd forgotten about the timer you could set as well, I can feel it click as you turned it.

somehow has triggered memories of Triominoes for some reason! must have been kept in the same cupboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
      I also had a toy SLR - it had the bullets that you loaded into the clip and then fired. Back when toys were allowed to launch missiles/bullets etc before all the kids got wrapped in cotton woll like they are nowadays. Looking at the pic posted earlier it was also the Airfix one on the left. Spent many an hour over the common playing war with that, we had bunkers and everything.
      I recall this airfix gun too. As you say it shot hard grey silvery bullets that were loaded in a clip, just like the real thing.

However it was extremely inaccurate (range of 6 feet?) and mine broke not long after I had it. Alas, I didn't get a replacement. I've also seen a grenade launcher version of this gun too, which my cousin had. Don't think it was airfix though.

As for cap guns, I can still smell them - and see those little round cardboard boxes they came in - green ? Like black dots on a green tickertape roll ?

Comment

If all the rifles, pistols, axes, swords, bows, knives and rocket launchers I had when I was a kid had been real I could have probably armed a small nation. I had the Airfix SLR and the Thompson, a Walther PPK for when James Bond antics were needed and a Luger and MP40 if I was playing the evil nazi in our games. Cowboys and Indians were well supplied with six shooters, Winchesters, Colt Navy pistols, Derringers and bows. Knights and Robin hood had less firearms but plenty of things for hitting each other with . One of my friends even had a toy cannon his dad had made for him that fired tennis balls. Of course, most of the rifles and pistols used caps and many fired some form of projectile. Nothing like health and safety back in those days to stop this or even some of the -ahem- naughtier amongst us modifying the weapons to fire more painful and potentially lethal projectiles.

Comment

My first toy gun was one of those translucent plastic pistols that had a metal trigger that would make sparks inside the barrel. Then I was given one of those joke guns that shot out a little plastic flag that said 'BANG!'. I was given a Lone Star revolver and holster set for my 5th birthday that fired rolls of caps. I had a water pistol in the shape of an Uzi which was very powerful, and then a Super Soaker which was even better! My dad bought me a .177 air pistol that looked like the Colt 1911 and later, a Webley .22. I used to be a wicked shot on the target range that my dad made(he had a BSA .22 air rifle) but lost interest in guns in my late teens. My uncle used to shoot proper handguns at the local shooting club. This was before Dunblane and the gun ban. He used to have a Star 9MM automatic and a mean little .38 Smith and Wesson revolver which I didn't like for some reason. But I did get to fire an 18th Century war musket in the South of France a few years ago. The recoil knocked me flat on my butt!

Comment

Working...
          X