Fizzing submarine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fizzing submarine

I have this vague memory of a little plastic submarine I used to play with in the bath and in the paddling pool. Now, I know this sounds weird, but I'm sure you used to put what looked like a pill or tablet inside the toy and it would kind of 'fizz' when you immersed it in the water and the fizzing would carry it along for a short distance!

Reality or strange dream?

Re: Fizzing submarine

I sort of remember, and im sure you added baking powder to make them go...just a pinch tho.

Comment

Re posts

Heather

Comment

Attached Files
        Heather

Comment

Heather. Not for the first time on this forum, you made me go, "Wooaahh!" Amazing to see that pic of the sub along with the little plasic bag of 'tablets'.

Thank you

Comment

Airfix Diving Sub from 1970

sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Got to love the instructions for retrieval from open water!

Charley says it's alright to go into icy pools of water as long as you have a length of thread tied around your 'little sub'. Ooh er.

Comment

I had one of these subs, but for the life of me I don't recall having to put fizzy tablets in it .
                Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

The smaller ones used baking powder/bicarbonate. I never tried one (I don't think), although I'm sure that at least one found its way into the house.

The main sub that I remember from my childhood was one of the Britains two man sub models with the hefty metal base so that you could stand it up (presumable on the bottom of the bath).

Comment

I remember one of the cereals had a set of baking soda powered toys as free gifts. The toys were a speedboat, submarine & a diver.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I had one of these airfix subs. They were great fun. I also remember the little plastic subs that came in cereal packets which were available in several colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
                        I had one of these subs, but for the life of me I don't recall having to put fizzy tablets in it .
                        I bet it didn't dive very well did it? LOL! I remember little things similar to that, that you put baking powder in. Being ever-inventive I used a Junior Disprin. Worked well, but not quite as much "poke" as baking powder. LOL!
                        "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                        sigpic

Comment

OMG!

I was just talking about this with one of my sisters. I was wondering what happened to it and she revealed to me yesterday that she put it in the ocean off Cape Cod on one of our vacations there and tossed in all the tablets to watch them fizz.

She feels really bad about this she said but I told her no worries I was prolly bored of it after 10 minutes!

Massachusetts USA

Comment

I remember getting one of these out of a cereal packet, also there was a frogman as well.

Comment

I got one of the little subs from the cereal. It gave my dad a lot of entertainment that morning. I never got a look in!
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X