Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Decimalisation

Originally posted by Shado66 View Post
    When I started school proper the next year and taught us about money they still called it New Pence and did for a while after.
    Decimal coins were struck with "New pence" on them until the early 1980's, at which point the "new" was dropped.

Aside from minor design changes such as that, it really seems as though since the change to decimal British coinage has been subject to fairly frequent changes over the years in terms of size and shape of coins, at least far more so than in other countries. In LSD days, there was the change from the old silver 3d. to the yellow-gold coloured one in the 1940's (the silver one was criticized for being too small), but other than that the basic range of coins in everyday use remained pretty much the same shape and size for decades, right up until "D-Day." (The farthing was withdrawn in 1961, but that was simply because it was considered to be of so litte value by then as to not be worth keeping, so it wasn't really a change as such.) But look at what's happened since then: We got the 20p coin added to the range, then the £1 coin in place of the £1 note (Scotland excepted), the 5, 10 and 50p coins have all been shrunk in size, and now there's a £2 coin in the standard range as well. (And in the same way as the farthing was withdrawn earlier, the half new penny was later withdrawn as being of too little worth to keep.)

Compare with, for example, American coinage. Certainly the designs of the coins have had some revisions over the years, but the basic size and shape of the penny, nickel, dime, quarter, and half-dollar have been the same for decades.

Re the Max Bygraves song, a quick search turns it up here (a poor quality transfer, unfortunately):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCiEzQ4EGk4

Comment

When you got used to the change I found it much easier to add up and take away better than the old money.I remember the old penny,thrupenny bit,sixpence,shilling,half a crown,ten shilling note.

Comment

For those not familiar with the old LSD:

Farthing, 1/4d. - withdrawn in 1961
        Halfpenny, ½d. - pronounced "hayp-nee"
        Penny, 1d.
        Threepence, 3d. - "thruppence"
        Sixpence, 6d. - called a "tanner"
        Shilling, 1s - the "bob"
        Florin, 2s. - the "two-bob bit"
        Half-Crown, 2s. 6d. - nicknamed "half a dollar" from the times when the exchange rate was approx. $4 to £1, so it really was equivalent to about 50 cents American (even though in later years with devaluation to £1 = $2.40 or thereabouts it was worth considerably less).
        Crown, 5s. - not a common coin in general usage, minted only erratically as commemorative issues (e.g. the "Churchill Crown" in 1965).

Above that, it was paper money with the 10-shilling note, pound note, and upwards.

The size of the LSD coins was designed to make combined weighing easier. The "copper" coins (farthing, halfpenny, penny) were all designed so that their weight was directly proportional to their value, e.g. the penny weighed twice as much as the halfpenny.

Similarly, the "silver" coins were all designed with sizes to make their weights directly proportional to their value, the 1s. weighed twice as much as the 6d., a half-crown weighed five times as much as a sixpence, and so on. The yellow-gold coloured 3d. was the exception when it replaced the silver 3d. in the 1940's, and had to be weighed separately.

Oh, and 12d. = 1s. and 20s. = £1, just in case that isn't clear!

Comment

I remember Max Bygraves making a song called "Decimilisation" around the time the money was changed. Anybody else remember it?
          Wirral Writer
          www.alantoner.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wirral Writer View Post
            I remember Max Bygraves making a song called "Decimilisation" around the time the money was changed. Anybody else remember it?
            See post #16, above.

Comment

Can still see mum in the local Co-op and the old money (penny's halfpennys and sixpences) in her purse.Apart from that I don't seem to remember much about decimal day.I think learning to count in units of 10 it was quite a natural process to use a decimal system.Having a rummage through the kitchen draw the other day and came across a copy of Spencers Decimal Ready Reckoner.Funny thing is my family still uses the book as it covers many other useful conversions.

Comment

I've got my Mums old household management book from 1971 with a conversion chart inside.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                X