Cooling off in a 70s summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling off in a 70s summer

One of the clearest memories I have of the 70s is of the summer time. In my mind, it never ever rained. (Yes, I know it actually did rain, but I'll keep my rose-tinted memories, thankyou )

Outdoor public swimming pools that became very crowded despite being infested with wasps trying to get to the discarded ice cream cartons.

Getting the paddling pool out in the garden; launching oneself headlong into it and suffering one of those painful grazes that were peculiar to 'bare-body-hitting-rubber-at speed'.

Insisting Dad put that little attachment on the end of the hose that made the water come out as a spray so that you could run throught it.

Any more?

Re: Cooling off in a 70s summer

Sitting on the kerb poking at pitch between the cobbles with a lolly stick from a just finished lemonade sparkle, lager and lime or cider lolly.

We didn't have a garden so it was paddling pool out in the street. I also had a peddle car the likes i've never seen before. It was a huge metal thing sprayed pink with pegasus symbols on the side. I did my best to cover the pink with marvel stickers but there was just too much. The car only used to come out on hot days and i was very popular with the other kids when it didi.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
      Sitting on the kerb poking at pitch between the cobbles with a lolly stick from a just finished lemonade sparkle, lager and lime or cider lolly.
      Yes, I also have a partial memory of what one did with the stick after finishing the lolly. You had to have two and would need an elactic band to fix them together in a certain way. Was it to create a magic trick? As I say, the memory is terribly vague.

Comment

drinking water straight from the hosepipe

swimming in the local river, only 3 foot deep ..with lovely mud at the bottom to dredge up & chuck at each other

rushing for the ice cream van....something you don't see happen anymore!
        Orange Maid or Lemonade Sparkle were the best thirst quenchers IIRC
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
          Yes, I also have a partial memory of what one did with the stick after finishing the lolly. You had to have two and would need an elactic band to fix them together in a certain way. Was it to create a magic trick? As I say, the memory is terribly vague.
          Hmmm. Tighten and release for a propeller effect? I remember sticking them somewhere near the rear wheel on my bike for a machine g*n noise effect.

Comment

Hmmm. Tighten and release for a propeller effect?
            Ah yes! You wound it up and threw the thing in the air. Think that was it.

I remember sticking them somewhere near the rear wheel on my bike for a machine g*n noise effect.
            I think I used playing cards.

(Did DYR censor the word gun in your post?)

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
              Ah yes! You wound it up and threw the thing in the air. Think that was it.

I think I used playing cards.

(Did DYR censor the word gun in your post?)
              No. I did that myself. Don't want to risk getting booted off.

Comment

No. I did that myself. Don't want to risk getting booted off.
                for using the word gun

gun,gun,gun, gun. gun, gun.

Nope i didn't get booted off

shouts *BOMB* and runs!!!!
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                  for using the word gun

gun,gun,gun, gun. gun, gun.

Nope i didn't get booted off

shouts *BOMB* and runs!!!!
                  Dare you to shout it next time you fly. Who moderates the moderators? I wish to register a complaint. There are far too many offensive weapons being brandished on this site.

Comment

Dare you to shout it next time you fly. Who moderates the moderators? I wish to register a complaint. There are far too many offensive weapons being brandished on this site.
                    Please forward all complaints to huggie74 and I will bin ermmm I mean deal with them a.s.a.p
                    Heather

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                      drinking water straight from the hosepipe

swimming in the local river, only 3 foot deep ..with lovely mud at the bottom to dredge up & chuck at each other

rushing for the ice cream van....something you don't see happen anymore!
                      Orange Maid or Lemonade Sparkle were the best thirst quenchers IIRC
                      You remember correctly. Oh dear lord, you do.

As for censorship, I mentioned having a 4 inch Python the other day - am I in trouble?

Take this forum to Cuba! I have a lolly stick I've splintered by biting down on it REALLY hard.

Great. Now I can remember the taste of that little culinary mishap.

Comment

Who moderates the moderators? I wish to register a complaint. There are far too many offensive weapons being brandished on this site.
                        quite true branny....I shall ban Heather later

(big kisses & luvs to Heather in the meantime )
                        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                          quite true branny....I shall ban Heather later
                          Not if I ban you first!!!!!

P.S you cant ban mods
                          Heather

Comment

Interesting you mention a python, Derek. This run of posts reminded me of that sketch from Monty Python. Do you all remember it? It's where the lads are going off into some wonderful off-the-wall stuff, and Graham Chapman walks right into said sketch as an army officer, and says, "Stop it! Just stop it! This is just silly!" ...or something like that.

Comment

Chapman did that a couple of times...in an episode (can't remember which one), and also in the film 'And Now For Something Completely Different:

YouTube - Monty Python's Military Fairy
                              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Working...
                              X