Cooling off in a 70s summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooling off in a 70s summer

Talking of offensive weapons, there was a Python military sketch about being attacked with fresh fruit.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Aah those lovely school summer hols. It never rained MB, because I remember!
      I used to love paddling in the local river and catching sticklebacks to take home in a jam jar.
      We used to go up 'The Downs' which was an area of fields and trees near us where we would make rope swings from the trees (I broke my arm when I flew off one of these when I was eleven! Right tomboy I was!).
      I also remember throwing those sticky darts at each other and those other grasses you looped the stem over and flicked off the end.
      We made daisy chains and looked for four leafed clovers.

I could go on all day. Magic!

sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

What about the summer of 1976 who remembers that one,dry and sunny for 5 months no rain,hose pipe bans!

Comment

I loved the 1976 heatwave and am hoping for another long, hot summer again one day!
          sigpic
          'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I'm too young to remember 70s summers, but in the early 80s it never seemed to rain either. I remember a man used to come from the water board to flush out the fire hydrant in our street. He'd attach an upside down drain pipe thing to it and all the water would gush out into the road and we'd all jump in it. I used to love jumping through sprinklers in the garden too, or setting the hose down on big polythene sheets to make slides.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

The 1976 heatwave just went on and on or it seemed to. I remember when it finally broke and we had a huge thunderstorm, very strange as it got very dark before it rained and there were bats flying about and thunder and lightning going on, very Hammer Horror!! We didn't care, we just ran around in the rain, thunder and lightning.

Comment

I remember,on a seriously roasting hot day,me and a mate climbed and crawled up the side of a mountain.I was bone dry and drained to exhaustion,but as i got half way up,he pointed out a beautiful spot,full of flowers and shrubs,and in the middle was some kind of pond full of newts.Just sitting there watching,was so refreshing and cooling.

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                  The 1976 heatwave just went on and on or it seemed to. I remember when it finally broke and we had a huge thunderstorm, very strange as it got very dark before it rained and there were bats flying about and thunder and lightning going on, very Hammer Horror!! We didn't care, we just ran around in the rain, thunder and lightning.

I remember the thunderstorm and blacknesses.Thanks for telling me when it was and what it was,it has subconciously annoyed me for years that memory of wierd black thundery weather.It is great to know at last when it occured and why.

Comment

I was born a month before the 1976 heatwave started. I've been informed that I was wheeled out into the garden for weeks on end next to endless washing lines full of terry toweling nappies. Wish I'd been old enough to enjoy it!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

My brother was born at almost the same, my parents have mentioned that they had to some days soak his nappies in bath water, & then tip it on the garden (hopefully not on the veg patch!)
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                      X