First computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First computer

what was your first computer experience?

http://www.techsupportforum.com
    http://www.techsupportforum.com

My first computer was an Atari 1200XL .

It had a sweet floppy drive, a tape drive, and I used to mess around with that thing all day.

Instead of going to the toy section in stores, I would gravitate towards the computer/electronics section

Comment

Mine was a ZX Spectrum 48k with a separate tape unit and those wonderful rubbery keys!

What do YOU remember about the 70's 80's and 90's?
      Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
      http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Commodore 64, we got it from Dixons for my daughter. I stole it out her room the next day

www.fansofbritishtv.com

Comment

My parents bought me a Intel 386 as a present for graduating 6th grade. I used that computer until I bought a Pentium 3 - 500mhtz when they came out. I had that sucker so tweaked out and optimized, it was amazing I got half the things I had to run.

www.shinraonline.com
          www.shinraonline.com

Comment

I had a ZX81 first, the black one with membrane keyboard. Then I moved onto a Vic 20. I still have this and it works !! Tape deck, 16K memory cartridge etc.. Classic
            Last edited by Elmo; 22-03-2005, 13:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Elmo
              I had a ZX81 first, the black one with membrane keyboard. Then I moved onto a Vic 20. I still have this and it works !! Tape deck, 16K memory cartridge etc.. Classic

http://www.couchpotato.tv My new TV Forums.
              What's a membrane keyboard Elmo?

Comment

This picture shows you the membrane keyboard. Its basically two membranes or plastic sheets with electrical contacts between them instead of proper moving keys. I remember the contacts on the membranes would break quite easily if you used them too much
                Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

my first computer was a Packard Bell 66mhz 486 with 4mb of ram and i think a 500mb hard drive (maybe smaller/bigger i cant remember). i remember when i came home and my mom had set it up, i started playing this futuristic racing game and i was instantly hooked. now i'm a computer nerd

Comment

Thats the chappy. Before I got a tape recorder it was a bit tedious as I had to program the games in each time I turned it on. I remember happily typing out lines and lines of code from a games magazine to play a very basic game. I thought it was great at the time though

Comment

Mine was a TRS-80 with 16K ram. It hooked up to the TV for its monitor. I also had a single-sided single-density floppy diskette and a 300 baud modem. My first program I wrote made a line go around the screen, kind of like the snake game, except it changed colors and made noises. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world at the time!

Comment

My first computer was the ZX Spectrum 16k unless you include speak and spell as a computer, then I had that first..

Comment

We got the aforementioned ZX81 and I still have it with me now in my office! Was hoping to sell it on a leading internet auction site the other day but saw how cheaply they are going for....may hold onto it til it's vintage rather than just retro!!!

Then we got a Spectrum followed by my C64 and an Atari STFM.

Comment

mine was the zx81 in them days it was brill but now
                            well what can i say
                            but ive got all the old consoles
                            atari st . master system . mega drive . snes . playstation . and on pc all the spectrum games and zx81 game (sad) but classics
                            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

"my first computer was a Packard Bell 66mhz 486 with 4mb of ram"

It's great that such youngsters are on this forum )

My first computer was an Acorn Electron, which we had for years until we got an Olivetti 8086 - 64kb of RAM and a 5MB HDD! It wasn't until I was in the 6th form that we progressed to a 486: shows how old I am!

Comment

Working...
                              X