First computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: First computer

i had a 48k zx spectrum for my first computer. my aunt give me her bbc model b, which i've still got. then, i bought an amiga in the early 90's. i wish i hadn't sold it now.

Comment

Originally posted by danrak View Post
      what was your first computer experience?

http://www.techsupportforum.com
      I can recall having my first Computer around 1987/88 but it did'nt have much in terms of capabilities ... was just for games in general. Nothing like the ones of now or even the 90s, it did'nt probably even do typing etc as they did in a few years further down the line!

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
        I can recall having my first Computer around 1987/88 but it did'nt have much in terms of capabilities ... was just for games in general. Nothing like the ones of now or even the 90s, it did'nt probably even do typing etc as they did in a few years further down the line!
        I'm sure it did do 'typing'. Every computer does 'typing' even if it's on an awkward Sinclair-style membrane or rubber keyboard

Comment

Could be a console. That era I'm betting an Atari 2600, a Sega Master System or a Nintendo Entertainment System.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            Could be a console. That era I'm betting an Atari 2600, a Sega Master System or a Nintendo Entertainment System.
            Ah, we're talking semantics, then. Even in the '80s a console and a computer were two different things. Although, wasn't there an add-on keyboard for the Intellivision and the Colecovision? I think even the VCS was destined some bits and bobs that would turn it into some kind of computer at one time.

Comment

Intellevision was never that big in the UK to my knowledge compared to other systems. It did have a keyboard add on though. Colecovision had expansion models also which did include a keyboard, but I've never even seen one of those ever.

Strictly speaking it could have been anything at that time, before the great game crash everyone was releasing games consoles.

Comment

My first experience was on a Commodore Pet in school, on the home front a ZX Spectrum 48K rubber keys which I still own, I think this was responsible for my slight obsession with retro games and hardware collecting.

Comment

I was given a secondhand ZX81 that hardly worked.Within a few months I had started work and quickly upgraded to a 16K Spectrum.Brought it just for the games it had.Loved that little sticky rubber keyed computer to death.I went through the 48K,and my last one was the 128K spectrum with the cooling rail on the side.After that I went without a computer for years untill I brought the one I have now.
                  It was just for the games,never actually managed to learn to program the thing.

Comment

I used to go to lunchtime computer club at primary in the early 80s. We presumably used a BBC Micro.

Comment

Originally posted by battyrat View Post
                      I was given a secondhand ZX81 that hardly worked.Within a few months I had started work and quickly upgraded to a 16K Spectrum.Brought it just for the games it had.Loved that little sticky rubber keyed computer to death.I went through the 48K,and my last one was the 128K spectrum with the cooling rail on the side.After that I went without a computer for years untill I brought the one I have now.
                      It was just for the games,never actually managed to learn to program the thing.
                      what computer have you know mate.

i have that very rubber keyed spectrum.
                      its a beautiful console and the colours on it are superb.
                      check this link.
                      http://youtu.be/yvimD58-ez0
                      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

How on Earth did you program it Darren?

Comment

Darren programmed Speccies?

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                            How on Earth did you program it Darren?
                            im good but not that good.
                            i think u got mu post wrong.
                            i just mean i have one of those keyed speccies.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

we had a spectrum, I was quite young so don't remember the specs, it had a tape recorder that we put the games in and it took forever to load, with lots of coloured screens and whistling sounds. My favourite games were Manic Miner and Horace goes skiing. I loved the sound of the keyboard too.

Comment

First one i had was a Commodore Vic 20 with tape player and games you could slot into the back of the keyboard. Raid On Fort Knox was my favourite game along with Mole Attack. Upgroaded in 87 to Amstrad 6128.

Comment

Working...
                                X