Two reasons for watching Blue Peter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two reasons for watching Blue Peter

Two reasons for watching Blue Peter in the early 1980’s.

Love the fashion. All the girls need are lacy fingerless gloves!

Blue Peter featured in Radio Times 25 June- 1 July 1983

My scrapbook blog

My website

Re: Two reasons for watching Blue Peter

Ah Janet Ellis. I used to watch Blue Peter mostly for her.

Absolutely despised the BBC for firing her the way they did. Considering how often they get tacky on Eastenders, it sticks in the throat.

Comment

Sarah Greene was ok until she got scarred in that helicopter accident. Janet Ellis did nowt for me. Couldn't be doing with her voice.
      "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
        Sarah Greene was ok until she got scarred in that helicopter accident...
        Hi branny. I just wanted to ask you about your post. Did you mean you thought she was attractive till she got the scar? Surly you didn't.

Comment

whats this about Janet Ellis being sacked
          and sarah greene's accident?
          i left UK in 1984 so this is all new to me
          My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Most poeple believed at the time (1987) that Janet was sacked for being pregnant and unmarried. Janet has always denied this. The editor at the time, Biddy Baxter, is also on record as saying it was not true, even many years after the so called controversy.

Sarah Greene and Mike Smith were involved in a helicopter crash in 1988; the aircraft was being piloted by Smith. Sarah broke an arm and both legs, and had injuries to her face that left a scar.

Comment

The best thing about Blue Peter was when that elephant messed on the floor and John Noakes slipped in it!!

And why didn't Martin help? LOL!!

YouTube - Blue Peter - elephant
              "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                Most poeple believed at the time (1987) that Janet was sacked for being pregnant and unmarried. Janet has always denied this. The editor at the time, Biddy Baxter, is also on record as saying it was not true, even many years after the so called controversy.

I heard that it was because she was unmarried too. Wasn't the baby Sophie Ellis Bextor?
                "...And that's what I've done. Maintained it for 20 years. This old brooms had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time."
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
                  Two reasons for watching Blue Peter in the early 1980’s.

Love the fashion. All the girls need are lacy fingerless gloves!

Blue Peter featured in Radio Times 25 June- 1 July 1983

Actually, Janet Ellis is making me think of Cindy Williams in American Graffiti...

Now I know where Sam Beckett QL'd to! He's the globe!

Jammy.

Comment

Originally posted by Teejay View Post
                    I heard that it was because she was unmarried too. Wasn't the baby Sophie Ellis Bextor?
                    Hi Teejay. The baby was evidently her son, Jackson. Or so a number of websites say.

Comment

Either that or Sophie aged 20 about years in just 13 years.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

thats very shameful treatment of janet Ellis. sounds very Victorian.
                        sophie ellis is her daughter
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Ellis
                        Last edited by ecofugal; 01-07-2009, 01:15.
                        My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

Originally posted by ecofugal View Post
                          thats very shameful treatment of janet Ellis. sounds very Victorian...
                          eco, did you catch my post (#6)? I have scanned a number of internet sites since, and there are several places where Janet is quoted as saying that her being pregnant and single was not the reason for the sacking. The BBC Blue Peter website is one such place.

I suppose we'll never know for sure but she certainly doesn't have to watch what she says these days and if she was sacked for that reason, I reckon she'd say so.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekflint View Post
                            Actually, Janet Ellis is making me think of Cindy Williams in American Graffiti...
                            One of my favourite movies. I found the 2nd film in a charity shop a few years back.More American Graffiti
                            Also have the albums.
                            "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                              Hi branny. I just wanted to ask you about your post. Did you mean you thought she was attractive till she got the scar? Surly you didn't.
                              Just read it back and doesn't read well. My bad. She seemed to put quite a bit of weight on around her face in the years following the air accident and i just didn't find her as attractive (could have been that I was getting older too). I apologise for the way the original post sounds. My fault for being too cryptic.
                              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Working...
                              X