Remember the start of Channel 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the start of Channel 4?

I was 11 yet I remember it quite well. I recall seeing adverts not usually shown on ITV. One that stuck in my mind was for Uncle Wong, which I think was a Chinese food product.

And who can forget The Munsters which was shown at 5pm on a Friday, followed at 5.30 by The Tube.

How about Five Go Mad In Dorset?

Then a few years later the appalling but secretly addictive The Word?

Re: Remember the start of Channel 4?

I remember passing a TV store and see all the tvs tuned into the channel 4 logo. it was a few days before the start of transmission.

Does anyone remember the movies they showed early on such as walter, P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang, and how to make a cherry pie.
    cherry pie was quite controversial because the nude scenes.
    My scrapbook blog

My website

Comment

If you remember it as fondly as I do, this will probably make you weep...
      Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

I remember Walter as being the first prog I saw on Channel 4's opening night.
        It was excellent and the first time I saw the brilliant Ian Mckellen too.
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Same here guys , i remember the very beginning it was like breath of fresh air with a really new style, but my best memory was the very first Christmas on channel 4 they didn't have all the programming up and a lack of adverts so the played long sections of very modern Christmas music and modern versions of traditional carols , with very pretty graphics on screen, iv hunted every where to try and find a copy but to no avail , iv found lots of early video in youtube but none of it of the Christmas interlude music,.........would love to find some

Comment

I remember early in its life I watched 'Jubilee' (bizarre film with Toyah in it, showing Queen Elizabeth the First how a future England turns out in 1977 Some great Punk stuff though!

and later another film (rarely seen but a gem if you ask me)..Hidden City...about secret government conspiracies....lots of cool scenes exploring the secret tunnels & buildings of London., Charles Dance stars
            sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Ah the days before Big Brother - when if you still couldn't figure out how long a live final show was going to take after several years of doing it, you would get the sack...
              Even the mess that is Eurovision runs to a tight schedule!

Sniff.

And their 'mucky' films were rubbish. 10 minutes of grimy lewdness (which left you wondering just who had looked up the word sexy, and just what dictionary were they using) interspersed with two hours of French people being miserable. Marvellous.
              Still remember the one where the lady schoolteacher turned out to be a bloke because his mother just didn't look at such things.
              I want those two hours back at the end of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                I remember Walter as being the first prog I saw on Channel 4's opening night.
                It was excellent and the first time I saw the brilliant Ian Mckellen too.
                I remember 'Walter' too and a famous line from it which is not suitable for this forum. A scene that sticks in my mind is when all the pigeons where in his bedroom.

I remember how eagerly we anticipated the launch of C4 and once it started we sat and watched it all evening until close.
                Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Anyone else remember their big 3D push? How excited they used to get (actually, I think the other channels were just as bad). Being told to put your specs on whilst two blackboard erasers were banged together - oohing and aahing at red and green dust.
                  And all the while, the cardboard frames (of a quality that would make Matchbox car packaging laugh) would attempt to remove your ears and nose.

Comment

Working...
                  X