Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beano

Originally posted by johno3776 View Post
    rhino= Re Fred, as far as I know Fred is not still performing, what a waste, he made me laugh every night for about 15 very happy years.=johno
    I've just returned from Tenerife where Freddie lives with his lovely lady Mary and works now as a tour guide . Never met the guy before but I can tell you he still has a great sense of humour.
    EG. In Tenerife there's a zoopark called Loro Parque .
    Freddie : "Have you heard they are going to open a second zoo park in Los Cristianos ? Yes, they are going to invite Cilla Black over to open it. They're going to call it Loro Loro Parque ! "

What a hoot ! He told us about Beano and a former band he had whose name escapes me now (anyone ?) as well as The Black Abbots he said he played with (of Russ Abbot fame). Great bloke !

Comment

Originally posted by blobbywall View Post
      I've just returned from Tenerife where Freddie lives with his lovely lady Mary and works now as a tour guide . Never met the guy before but I can tell you he still has a great sense of humour.
      EG. In Tenerife there's a zoopark called Loro Parque .
      Freddie : "Have you heard they are going to open a second zoo park in Los Cristianos ? Yes, they are going to invite Cilla Black over to open it. They're going to call it Loro Loro Parque ! "

What a hoot ! He told us about Beano and a former band he had whose name escapes me now (anyone ?) as well as The Black Abbots he said he played with (of Russ Abbot fame). Great bloke !
      I saw the black abbots in nottingham around 1986.But i had had rather a lot to drink that night so i don't remember it too well.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank You for the update on Fred , as its been a couple of years since I heard from him.Thank you for all the nice comments about Beano, it makes it all worth while, and thank you to roythehoople for putting our songs on youtube, something I was always going to get round to doing myself.
        Has anybody out there got a copy of Beano on top of the pops 17 april 1975, I have been in touch with the BBC but they tell me they must have recorded over it, which they did a lot of in the early days.
        Thank You
        Ray (johno3776)

Comment

BEANO, now that brings back memories. saw them regularly at the greenfields working mens club dunsville,,( now demolished and barriecars car showroom). also the white heart in thorne. those were good times from a fantastic group,

Comment

i have just found this and thought it would add to The Beano discussion on here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3cFAzJcsYU
            WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

A big thank you to kevpk for pointing the way to the Beano video on youtube as its one I don't remember doing, but it must have been recorded in Italy.
              Thank You
              Ray

Comment

think they should perform for the remembrance of Robin Carew who was there manager, he sadly passed away Oct 2010, I am sure a lot of people would attend......
                come on Beano one last time :-)

Comment

so sad to hear about Robin..,my condolences to his family. Ditto for one last performance tho, hope something can be arranged ,hope they realize how popular they were

Comment

Hi,
                    i stumbled across this forum while trying to find out who 'beano' where after finding a self titled lp in my garage. i Believe it has been signed by freddy phillips, although have no proof of authenticity. Without being rude i am wondering if this item has a sale value? I can't find any information on the album anywhere on the web. Any suggestions please??

Comment

This is on Ebay............ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beano-Self...item19cd9b288f

im guessing its yours ???
                      WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by dilly.pop View Post
                        Hi,
                        i stumbled across this forum while trying to find out who 'beano' where after finding a self titled lp in my garage. i Believe it has been signed by freddy phillips, although have no proof of authenticity. Without being rude i am wondering if this item has a sale value? I can't find any information on the album anywhere on the web. Any suggestions please??
                        Without wishing to take this off topic, I'd say that looks like a self pressed album, and therefore virtually worthless

Comment

Hi all live music lovers, just joined forum and could relate to messages re freddies beano. Ive just come back from los christianos and freddie was on our tour bus doing what he does best . he had the bus trippers in stitches, and gave us a brilliant tour of the banana plantation with a load of his old moves thrown in. we used to follow fred in the north east clubland circuit. too many to mention but like all clubs we are in a desperate situation. any way, talking of great entertainers can any one remember a 70's club band from Ashington called the piranah brothers. all dressed in army gear with a great stage presence. I was at hebburn trades and labour club 1979/80 ish
                          and some one was making a video of the band. Is that person still around? if you are i would love a copy. please get in touch via forum. other great bands.. radiation,the News, Arthur Two stroke and the chart commandoes, idle hands, circus etc etc. regards to all Terry foster Gateshead Tyne &wear

Comment

Reason Why?? Or Freddie's Beano?? My memory of Freddie was one night at Wigan Rugby Club (Riverside) in the 70s when Freddie borrowed a pair of green boots/wellingtons from a group called Humbug (George Monks) tied his fizzy hair back and did a brilliant impression of Princess Anne horseriding he had the place in an uproar. Last time I saw him was at Goose Green Labour Club (Frankie Barrow Compere) think Freddie then went on to manage The Swan and Railway Pub in Wigan across from the north west railway station then as many people have said he ended up moving to Tenerife bit ironic on the next island Lanzarote was another lead singer from a Wigan group whom Beano would have come across many times Graham Hill of Rainbow Cottage (see YouTube). It may be of interest to members of Beano and other music fans that a website called: lankybeat.com about northwest music from bygone times ie: 60s, 70s and 80s brilliant for reminiscing. I would love a reunion as well!!!!

Comment

Nice post DaveD.....I always remember them finishing their first spot with Freddie spraying a full can ofair-freshener whilst wearing a gas mask to the joke "the train arriving on platforms5,8 ,

6 and 13 is...coming in sideways !!" didnt he used to lift the mask up and declare to everyone "" I'm not right !!!!"

Comment

Hi Everyone - I rememberBeano in the far off days before they were called Beano. I knew them when theywere called The Reason Why and used to follow them for 4 or so years from1996/97 to 1969/70. We (our littleclique) used to go to see them at a number of venues in the Wallasey/Birkenhead area, but the place where we used to see them most often was at theTavern in Magazine Lane, Wallasey. My girlfriend (who became and is still mywife) and I used to mis-spend 2 or 3 nights a week of our youth there. In thosedays The Reason Why were not what you would call a “showband”, which theyobviously developed into. The music they played was predominantly soul with somemotown thrown in. They became regulars at The Tavern, playing perhaps every 3to 4 weeks or so and were a highly respected and popular band, if not the mostrespected and popular band playing at The Tavern in that era. At that time,there were a lot of bands around who were not ‘quite sorted’, but we liked TheReason Why because they were pretty spot on key, spot on note and spot ontiming and tempo. Unlike some bands of the time, they didn’t pad out everyother number with a self-indulgent, 64 bar, instrumental trivia interlude andthey just got on with it. There were no long gaps between numbers. When thelast number had finished, it was a swig of beer, while the ‘reverb’ died downand those who wanted to stop dancing sat down, a quick tweaking of his g stringfrom Freddie, a few words to announce the next song, another swig of beer,while those who wanted to start dancing got up, now that they knew what theywere dancing to and straight into the next number after that 30 seconds break.They were a band who could quickly get an audience on its feet dancing and keepthem there. They were a great, great band to dance to – I followed them fondlyand wish them all the best.
                                I hope thatI haven’t bored everybody with these reminiscences.
                                PS. It’s funny the things thatcome back to you. I think that I remember a on a couple of occasions Freddieplaying on stage with a crutch under each arm and a pot on one leg and stillmanaging to play the right chords in mostly the right order.

Comment

Working...
                                X