Geoffrey Banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geoffrey Banks

Does anyone remember the actor Geoffrey Banks ?
    He played the maths teacher in the classic 1969 Brit movie " Kes " ?

I was talking about the film the other day and I suddenly realised although haven't I seen him in anything for absolutely years.... his performance in the film - as small as the part was - stuck out in my memory as true to life.

Does anyone know how he is doing and is he still a working actor?

Also an up to date photo would be good...... but any info at all would be appreciated.

Re: Geoffrey Banks

I think this is the actor. The picture is from BBC Cumbria.

Geoffrey seems to have been regulalrly employed over the years, including a part in Hartbeat in 2005.

Comment

That is indeed the actor I was talking about.

Great work Marine Boy.

He really has changed - wouldn't anyone after 40 years? .... but it's good to know he is still alive and looking well at that.

Comment

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Geoffrey Banks (full name James Geoffrey Banks) died on 13 April 2008, aged 86. I remember him very well, he taught us French at Smithills Grammar School, Bolton. I was a pupil there between 1958-65. He also acted at Bolton Little Theatre, in between his film, radio and TV work. At the end of term, when we'd covered the syllabus, he would read the short stories of James Thurber, the American humourist, to us. Being an actor, he would adopt the American accent, change voices to portray the characters in the stories and act them out. He held us all spell-bound. It's something I'll never forget - and it spurred me to on to buy Thurber's books.

He was a strict disciplarian, and with a well-chosen phrase, delivered with the appropriate withering look, could make you want to crawl into a hole had you not done your preparation for his lesson.

I was extremely sad to learn of his death.

Comment

RIP Geoffrey banks! I haven't met him personally but from what I've red he was a GReat Personality(((

Comment

Working...
          X