80's sci fi mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's sci fi mystery

im trying ta remember a movie, the only things i can tell ya about it is that it had a remote control robot which the bloke controlled with a thingy on his arm (like control pannel) and a scene in which he trys ta pick up a glass with the robot (which had catterpillar tracks and a claw on the front) and the glass breaks.... please put me out my misery tis doing me head in .....

Re: 80's sci fi mystery

Sounds very much like the IMC robot in the Doctor Who serial 'Colony in Space'. I know that's not the one you are looking for but it is uncannily similair. This was broadcast originally in the early seventies but has had numerous repeats since.

Or is it that?
    Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
      Sounds very much like the IMC robot in the Doctor Who serial 'Colony in Space'. I know that's not the one you are looking for but it is uncannily similair. This was broadcast originally in the early seventies but has had numerous repeats since.

Or is it that?
      Colony in Space has had numerous repeats??

*falls over*

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

*falls over*
        LOL, yeah I know what you mean - pretty dire ain't it, but worth looking at for a young Gail out of Corrie.
        Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post

*falls over*
          For years UK Gold showed all the Dr Who episodes originally made in colour in a loop.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Kiop View Post
            LOL, yeah I know what you mean - pretty dire ain't it...
            Oh, yes, I think it was, as I remember. But I actually meant, I didn't think the story had been repeated a lot and was cross I'd missed it. But Richard has put me right. I was forgetting about the UK Gold repeats.

Comment

robot with claw & caterpillar tracks...reminds me of Silent Running...always liked that film, felt so sad for the little robots (when he ran one of them over in the buggy; and the one left at the end, all alone tending the forest forever
              :cry:

Silent Running
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

I know its nothing to do with the 'mystery movie' but the post reminds me of this guy from the Beano ...

General Jumbo, a young boy who possessed large variety of miniature troops and vehicles which he controlled with a wrist device, has an even older pedigree: he first appeared in 1953 (#584) and continued as a character until 1974 in the Beano, later making appearances in Nutty and Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
                  robot with claw & caterpillar tracks...reminds me of Silent Running...always liked that film, felt so sad for the little robots (when he ran one of them over in the buggy; and the one left at the end, all alone tending the forest forever
                  :cry:
                  I love this film too, but it upsets me so much because of the scenes you mention, Dave. I'm filling up now! :cry:
                  sigpic
                  'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                    I know its nothing to do with the 'mystery movie' but the post reminds me of this guy from the Beano ...

General Jumbo, a young boy who possessed large variety of miniature troops and vehicles which he controlled with a wrist device, has an even older pedigree: he first appeared in 1953 (#584) and continued as a character until 1974 in the Beano, later making appearances in Nutty and Buddy.
                    As a mad keen war fan (Airfix soldiers & kits) in the 60's/70's...weren't all the boys?......I LOVED General Jumbo and his miniature r/c army..I remember he had a ship he could sit in & direct his navy from

ps Robbie the Robot from 'Forbidden Planet (ANOTHER fab film) and his descendants, the robot in the move 'Lost in Space' all had a 'claw' arm..any good?
                    sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

General Jumbo was also brought back for some updated adventures in some Beano Books in the late 1980s early 1990s.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

sorry for the delay in answering peeps (im new to all this computer jiggery pokery) im afriad your all wrong dudes and dudettes it seems like ive imagined the whole thing i think!!! ive trawled through the youtube playlists and quizzed all my mates but to no avail..... im gonna keep up the fight thou coz im damn sure ive seen the trailer as a kid and caught a few scences of the actual film, in my search thou a have unearthed some gems anyone remember the gate, c.h.u.d, ghoulies, spacehunter, and runaway???????

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                          I love this film too, but it upsets me so much because of the scenes you mention, Dave. I'm filling up now! :cry:
                          Dude! Yeah - The guy slams the little robot in his buggy and then is trying to fix him. The little robot moves it's "arm" but it's jerky - all messed up still. The guy says "I'm sorry - that's the best I can do" or somesuch. And I cry even now - decades later. I am haunted by so many scenes like these - we just can't "un-see" them, can we?

Comment

Short Circuit?

Comment

That reference does ring a bell, but I can't think what it is. Speaking of robots left to tend their duty; see Laputa, castle in the sky. I love studio ghibli.

Comment

Working...
                              X