Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home Brew Beer

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
    watching the bubbles going through the funny bottle tops.
    My Nan used to make all kinds of home brew stuff & I also loved watching the crazy looking liquids bubble through the (to me) fantastic looking devices.

Comment

As a newbie could I just interject here. My dad used to do home brew in the 70's and it was a pretty poor afair. However I do a spot of home brewing now and again and if done with some of the more up market kits available you have nowadays you can get a decent pint. Woodfords etc the stuff my dad used to have to endure.

Comment

not a home brewer myself but i found the large brewing buckets brilliant for my fish tank water changes * giggles *

Comment

Back in 1975 my Dad used to get rewarded with a bottle of home made blueberry wine from the chap who owned the car Dad repaired frequently, and I must say it was really nice! Honestly, some people are good at it.

Tom Caxton used to be sold in Boots chemists, and I saw some beer kits only last week in Wilkinsons and pondered over the possibilities of eaking out the shopping money and doing some, then I remembered the home brew bag my Aunt bought me in the early 90s, you filled it with water and waited, it was the most disgusting brackish foul stenching liquid ever!

Back in 1978 when I was 13, I recall a friend of mine suggesting we wash out some old Newcastle brown bottles, crush up oranges water and sugar were added a cork popped in the top then clandestinely shoved behind the fridge so my Mum didn't find it, after 2 weeks it blew the corks out and honked the pantry out.

Home Brew is definitely best left in the realms of The Good Life, let Tom and Barbara make their pea pod wine!

Comment

You have a great imagination miss hehe

i remember someone i knew must be in the eighties made loads of home brew he made it in his bathtub.

many a time you would see his bath full of this brown,orangy coloured liquid.

what could it be.

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
            not a home brewer myself but i found the large brewing buckets brilliant for my fish tank water changes * giggles *
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Tried it once then I found party 7 so much easier

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                Used to use my home brew beer kit for exactly the same thing after I gave up trying to make beer and moved onto wine!!

Comment

Me and the other half have just had a go at making wine from a kit (and using the very same brewing bottles that my dad used all those years ago ) Can't say I was blown away by the results. Tasted quite sour to me, quite hard to drink, nothing like bought wine so I gave some to my dad to test and to my surprise he confirmed that yes, that's what home brewed wine tastes like! Or at least that what his tasted like. Hmmmm.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

tried once but waiting was the worse thing so gave up easyer go shop to buy beer lol
                    THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

My dad made beer from Boots kits in the 70s and 80s, and probably into the 90s. He used to make lager, bitter and stout, and bottle them using different coloured caps--red for lager, blue for bitter etc. Actually, what he made wasn't too bad. We would let the bottles sit for a couple of weeks, just to make sure any sediment had sunk to the bottom of the bottles, then if you were careful when opening and pouring, the beer would remain clear and sediment remain in the bottle. We kept 2 or 3 crates of bottles under the stairs, then would transfer a few bottles to the fridge as needed. He also made wine for years from fresh ingredients usually. He kept the equipment in the corner of the lounge and I remember well the plop-plop sound it used to make as it fermented. Rhubarb and bilberry were 2 wines that he used to make regularly.

Comment

Working...
                      X